Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Review of M2 Shocks

I ride a 2015 RTS and want to share my experience with my M2 Shocks. This article is not a discussion on aftermarket shocks and who thinks who’s are better. Just my first hand account of my experience with M2 shocks.

First add-ons were BAJA Ron’s sway bar and shock adjusters. These items did help the ride quality of the RTS and rode the RTS a couple of years with just these add-ons. I was still not happy with the ride quality of the RTS even after readjusting the shock adjusters, front end still a bit soft for my riding.

Then while riding one day the ACS air pump failed and the week rear spring suspension was unable to hold the frame off the rear tire. ACS was replaced under warranty but this was something I did not want to go through again.

I looked at some aftermarket suspensions and then called Marcus at M2 Shocks. Marcus took the time to discuss what my needs were. I informed Marcus that I wanted a more firm ride and enough rear spring that I didn’t need to rely on the ACS to keep the frame off the rear tire if the ACS failed again. Marcus took my information and suggested replacement shocks for the front and rear of my RTS. We went with 300 pound springs on the front shocks and a 600 pound spring for the rear shock.

I was expecting a couple month time delay from ordering to receiving the shocks. Marcus stated that he keeps enough material on hand to build the shocks and deliver in short order which he did.

The shocks I received look great, nitrogen charged, heavier springs and easy to customize the spring tension if needed and a rebound valve adjuster.

Anyone with a bit of mechanical experience can do this shock install, a friend to help does make the install go a bit easier, but not required. Marcus does have some videos to view on his site on installing the shocks.

Started by removing some tupperware off the rear of the RTS to access the top shock mount, a little tight but very doable. Lower shock mount is easy. Also removing the rear wheel would give more access if you wanted to go that way. Buttoned up the rear of the RTS and took a ride on the new M2 shock. My what a difference, firm ride, no harsh bumps, stable feel and all this without air in the ACS air bag. Rode some rough roads, crossed some rail road tracks, had a great feel.

Now for the front shocks. Might not have had to but did I did pull the frunk off, just made getting to the shock mounts easy. Installed both front shocks, put the frunk on and went for a ride. Same rough road, railroad tracks, the Spyder did great. Picked out a twisty road and had a great ride. These shocks cut out the swimming, gave a much better/firmer ride. Still have a bit of lean in the front end, but I can enter and take turns much faster the the stock shocks would let me before. The Spyder is much more stable on the side roads and the interstates than when the original shocks were on the bike.

Now the big test, took my wife for a ride. Again, ran the same two lane roads as before and did about 250 miles. Without doing any prompting my wife stated how much more stable the the Spyder was on the roads. Said she felt more comfortable, the ride was more firm with much less bouncing and the swaying was much reduced. At present we have rode about 6000 miles since installing the M2 shocks and we are very pleased with the outcome.

I will suggest that anyone looking to improve the ride of there Spyder contact Marcus at M2 Shocks. Marcus will take the time and talk to you and ask you what kind of ride your looking for.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 02-13-2023 at 04:14 PM.

2015 Red Pearl RT-S
    EXO2 heated Vest/Gloves
    BAJARONS sway bar
    TricLEDS side markers
    Xenon Depot LED Head & Fog Lights\
    Missing Belt Guard
    Bump Skid
    M2 Shocks front/rear
    Russel Day Long heated seat

Spyder Garage

Got a set ordered for my '14 RTS. Gotta fix the ACS while I'm in there.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I too had a set on my '13RTL and loved them. Definitely felt a much improved ride as did my wife. Marcus was spot on with any questions and changes I thought his original setup needed.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I just put fronts and rear on my 2014 RT-S. What a difference! It's a much easier ride, now. I'm no longer spending all of my time trying to keep the Spyder going straight. That gets tiring on the long rides. Now, it tracks straight after hitting any imperfection in the road. Now that I'm not always focused on anticipating every bump, I can actually relax and enjoy the ride.

My wife and I feel much safer after this upgrade. She also drives, and she can really tell the difference in ride. In our opinion this is money well spent.

After I bought it back 2017, I put a Baja Ron anti-sway bar on. This did help some, but I was still fighting to keep it tracking straight. The M2 shocks, however, was a HUGE improvement. Adjusting the dampening is so simple - no tools required. Very easy to dial in a softer or stiffer ride. Thanks to Marcus McBain and M2.Shocks for providing a quality product!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-13-2023 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Removed disguised link

Spyder Garage

I'm a big fan!

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Ordered mine in early Feb and just received them. Between personnel, personal, and supply issues, it took a while. Hope to put them in next weekend.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2023 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Curious what your weight, geared up, is and total weight with spouse on board.

Mind filling me in?
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

If you're asking me, I'm at 220, and the wife is about 215. She's mostly disabled and only rides with me occasionally, so we don't "tour" on it together. Usually an hour or so at a time.

Marcus set us up with 600# rear an 300# each fronts.

m2 shocks.jpg
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I'm investigating springs vs. weight on bike.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2023 at 07:42 PM. Reason: s[rings... ;-)
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

And you can get BLUE springs!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    Thanks. I'm investigating springs vs. weight on bike.
    I have looked into the aftermarket spring issue, have a thread regarding this. These are basic platforms, not too much performance design, but this does not substantiate not having suspension options. The reason I upgraded was the lean/roll of the Spyder, the rider should not have to work harder than the platform.

The snowmobile world is very clutched into performance because a snowmobile suffers from the same symptoms, especially the 4-stroke models.

Snowmobilers want to corner better, with less roll and lean. They use dual rate springs, not the single dual rate spring though some do, but 2 springs of different spring rates, one for straight line comfortable trail riding and the second spring for cornering.

Having mentioned this, a stiffer spring rate will allow for better pre-load and ride height, and for minimizing nose-dive on hard stops - pre-load should not be used to stiffen or soften a shock performance.

I have M2 shocks all round - installed 1 1/2 years ago, and I find these to be quite good. I have changed the front shock springs to a stiffer spring, presently at 300 lb-in, will be going to a 350/400 lb-in spring - I will need to discuss with M2 the shock valving requirement. Using the 300 lb-in spring for solo riding significantly reduced the lean/roll aspect, but two-up riding not quite so much.

I ride a good portion of the time two-up, so I want to minimize the lean/roll. Last year did a 17,000 Km road trip with the 300 lb-in front shock springs and these did work well, but I still did not like the lean/roll aspect.

The increase in spring stiffness will aid in supporting the Spyder front end weight because that is where it all is. I have a 600 lb-in spring that I find adequate, but I may go down to the 525 lb-in spring supplied by M2 - the rear shock does not do much to reduce the lean/roll. I have the air ride system.

Baja Ron sway bar is installed.

Fitting a heavier front shock spring rate on a shock that is valved for the shock spring rate with an upgraded sway bar and all should be well.

Just my thoughts. Cheers
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-30-2023 at 07:44 PM. Reason: role - roll ;-)
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
    Baja Ron sway bar is installed.
    Do you have the one-piece or 3-piece sway bar? I ask because "they say" the 3-piece does a superior job of controlling cornering when riding 2-up.

-- Joe B.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by liv2cod View Post
    Do you have the one-piece or 3-piece sway bar? I ask because "they say" the 3-piece does a superior job of controlling cornering when riding 2-up.

-- Joe B.
    I have the one piece sway bar. It was installed back in 2014 when the previous owner bought the Spyder. If you are upgrading the front shocks, three piece or one piece sway bar may not be an issue. I'd discuss this with Baja Ron.

Sway bar is good, but only works on corners and the likes. Does not affect road clearance, or reduce nose dive on hard stops. Suspension is a combination of components that when installed individually, work well for that intended purpose, maybe or maybe not for the other components that have not been changed. It is not intended to compensate for the front shocks, but to assist in the overall performance of the Spyder in conjunction with the front shocks.

I understand the reluctance of riders to change to an aftermarket suspension because of cost. Put the Traxxion "full monty" on the 1800 I had. Upgraded the suspension on my 1995 GL1500, and my 1985 Gold Wing. The suspension upgrade for my ex-RE Himalayan was expensive for such a small motorcycle. Have to remember that cost is directly related to demand.

A suspension upgrade, shocks and sway bar, is a good investment depending on how long you intend to keep the Spyder. If the ownership period is expected to be short, leave alone, if otherwise go for it. I did the suspension upgrade because my Spyder is a long term ownership. It's a good looking ride, gets lots of favourable comments, and the Mrs likes riding on it. Had planned on getting one when I turn 70 in another year, but this one came along early so I grabbed it.

Good luck on your quest.
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Ernest
    I've read your suspension thread more than once. I'm a slow learner, but I learned a bit more from you. Thanks.
    I'm leaning into a 300 pound spring (front). Most of my riding is solo. My wife is a feather weight, so I'm thinking increasing to a 350 pound spring probably won't be necessary.
    Ride on...

Spyder Garage

I'm not too worried about cornering issues while riding two-up. When she's on the tryke, I take it easy and we just tool around at a leisurely pace. We'll see how it is when I'm alone. I bought the one-piece Baja Ron sway bar because of roll in corners only to start the install and find out I already had one. If' I'd known about the three-piece model, I'd have gotten that, but Lamonster didn't list it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-30-2023 at 07:46 PM. Reason: srat... ;-)
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

It's personal preference for sure. The intangible considerations play a significant part in what you do to your ride, and how you ride. Where you live and ride, your personalities, why are we riding, and much more influence us.

My partner likes to ride with me, and tells me often not to scare the passenger. In this regard I ride appropriately, but every now and then I forget myself and have to rein myself in.

When I did the suspension upgrade, she commented favourably on the change, and how the Spyder rode and reacted. She is much like myself in that the Spyder should do more work than us.

Cheers

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Got the M2s installed saturday. Took an hour or so ride on sunday with her. Rides nice with the two of us. The ACS is still out, but we never bottomed out even over the speed bumps in the neighborhood.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I don't know if anyone has tried M2 Shocks, but I have to say I went with M2 as they weren't off the shelf fits everything shock, they were custom matched to me, my riding style, my weight, the combined weight of me and my wife and a few other things. I've got to say they were awesome. One of the problems I experienced with my F3S was the side-to -side wash board effect while riding and terrible lean in turns. I considered Elka's as everyone was talking about how good Elka's were. I looked at all the reviews of Elka's and M2 shocks. I installed the M2 shocks and all the issues I was having with the OEM were gone. An Excellent choice, dollar for dollar they were comparatively priced. The big difference was with the M2 shocks I got personalized service; I wasn't just a number that ordered shocks. When I called I got Marcus McBain, the owner, on the phone and we talked extensively about our style of riding as well as our life experience's; he talked to me, not at me, it was an excellent conversation, his customer service is second to none. If you're considering changing shocks for a much smoother ride, whether it be an F3, RT, or a Ryker, you'll not be disappointed. Give Marcus a call 1-573-308-0336 and tell him Chuck sent you!

https://www.m2shocks.com/

IMG_7084.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-14-2023 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Fixed attach & link display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmarsala View Post
    I don't know if anyone has tried M2 Shocks, but I have to say I went with M2 as they weren't off the shelf fits everything shock, they were custom matched to me, my riding style, my weight, the combined weight of me and my wife and a few other things. I've got to say they were awesome. One of the problems I experienced with my F3S was the side-to -side wash board effect while riding and terrible lean in turns. I considered Elka's as everyone was talking about how good Elka's were. I looked at all the reviews of Elka's and M2 shocks. I installed the M2 shocks and all the issues I was having with the OEM were gone. An Excellent choice, dollar for dollar they were comparatively priced. The big difference was with the M2 shocks I got personalized service; I wasn't just a number that ordered shocks. When I called I got Marcus McBain, the owner, on the phone and we talked extensively about our style of riding as well as our life experience's; he talked to me, not at me, it was an excellent conversation, his customer service is second to none. If you're considering changing shocks for a much smoother ride, whether it be an F3, RT, or a Ryker, you'll not be disappointed. Give Marcus a call 1-573-308-0336 and tell him Chuck sent you!

https://www.m2shocks.com/

IMG_7084.jpg

Exactly the opposite experience in dealing with M2 for my friends race bike. After the reply I got from Marcus, it became apparent he was not someone we wanted to deal with ever again.

FWIW, most aftermarket suspension suppliers will ask about rider weight, and type of riding, that is not exclusive to M2, Elka, or any one manufacturer.

Shop wisely, suspension is an expensive upgrade.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2023 at 08:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Exactly the opposite experience in dealing with M2 for my friends race bike. After the reply I got from Marcus, it became apparent he was not someone we wanted to deal with ever again.

FWIW, most aftermarket suspension suppliers will ask about rider weight, and type of riding, that is not exclusive to M2, Elka, or any one manufacturer.

Shop wisely, suspension is an expensive upgrade.
    I always say there's 3 sides to a story, your side, their side, and then we have the truth. So all I can say is that yours was the first bad thing I've heard about M2 Shocks and Marcus. Sorry yours wasn't so good, I've read so many good ones was the main reason I purchased them. I did have some issues with the shocks, had to replace them twice, but every time I talked to Marcus it was all good and very professional.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2023 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

I have M2 shocks also, I have nothing but GOOD to say about Marcus and my M2 Shocks. Purchased around a year ago
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

I always say there's 3 sides to a story, your side, their side, and then we have the truth. So all I can say is that yours was the first bad thing I've heard about M2 Shocks and Marcus. Sorry yours wasn't so good, I've read so many good ones was the main reason I purchased them. I did have some issues with the shocks, had to replace them twice, but every time I talked to Marcus it was all good and very professional.
    In your words of three sides to a story, we do have the truth. Truth is, for us, M2 missed the setup. When the suspension arrived the first time, and runs were made, the M2 setup was far from correct and became a wild ride down the dragstrip. The suspension was returned several times until a ridable, but not a confidence inspiring setup M2 finally delivered. From a rider perspective, it becomes difficult to race at 100% when each pass is eye opening in a bad way.

Consider too, regarding Spyders, and this is not a story of three, but rather proven chassis dynamics. M2 promotes running increased length front shocks. The downside to this on a Spyder with under 5” of wheel travel, is that the suspension movement bump steer becomes increased, which is not good. Also, increased shock length, increases the limits of chassis roll / lean, which on a Spyder is counterproductive to cornering forces. Add to this, if the Spyder ride height is increased, that is excellent for ground clearance, but sadly positions the suspension arms at less than optimum angles and moves the chassis roll center to a less optimum setting. In simple terms, compare a low slung sports car, capable of holding the road thru corners compared to a raised 4wd vehicle. Yes, each suspension company tends to run a firmer spring to help give that planted feel.

All the best with your M2 stuff. Seems concerning though that another Spyder owner needed several times back to M2 to get their Spyders, almost go kart simple suspension, set up. Again all the best with your stuff.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2023 at 08:08 AM.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One of the reasons I chose Wilbers over M2 and Elkas was that if you search threads in this forum and others you will see a higher rate of M2's and Elkas that need rebuilds that are only a couple of years old and the cost of rebuilds are almost that of just buying new shocks.

The Wilbers don't seem to have as many of these type of reports associated with them. The main reason people don't go with wilbers are because of the cost.

I just went with paying more for something I personally feel will last me a longer time and get more bang for my buck or in this case more hours of riding time out of them.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 11-18-2023 at 12:29 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default M2

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    In your words of three sides to a story, we do have the truth. Truth is, for us, M2 missed the setup. When the suspension arrived the first time, and runs were made, the M2 setup was far from correct and became a wild ride down the dragstrip. The suspension was returned several times until a ridable, but not a confidence inspiring setup M2 finally delivered. From a rider perspective, it becomes difficult to race at 100% when each pass is eye opening in a bad way.

Consider too, regarding Spyders, and this is not a story of three, but rather proven chassis dynamics. M2 promotes running increased length front shocks. The downside to this on a Spyder with under 5” of wheel travel, is that the suspension movement bump steer becomes increased, which is not good. Also, increased shock length, increases the limits of chassis roll / lean, which on a Spyder is counterproductive to cornering forces. Add to this, if the Spyder ride height is increased, that is excellent for ground clearance, but sadly positions the suspension arms at less than optimum angles and moves the chassis roll center to a less optimum setting. In simple terms, compare a low slung sports car, capable of holding the road thru corners compared to a raised 4wd vehicle. Yes, each suspension company tends to run a firmer spring to help give that planted feel.

All the best with your M2 stuff. Seems concerning though that another Spyder owner needed several times back to M2 to get their Spyders, almost go kart simple suspension, set up. Again all the best with your stuff.
    This isn't to continue the thread, you've made your point and others have left their opinions also. What I would love to see is this Spyder making a passes down the strip! If you can please post a few videos of it making a few passes, or a link? Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2023 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

This isn't to continue the thread, you've made your point and others have left their opinions also. What I would love to see is this Spyder making a passes down the strip! If you can please post a few videos of it making a few passes, or a link? Thanks
    Unfortunately, in regards to a video of a Spyder making sub 10 second 1/4 mile dragstrip passes, I have not got that footage. My reference is in regards to a purpose built 1/4 mile race bike. Spyders, while they might get raced or make passes on a test and tune day, would need a huge horsepower and rear grip increase to get passes reasonably faster than 125 mph during a 1/4 mile pass. Almost a decade ago, I learned and accepted that Spyders are tourers and cruisers, not race bikes. Cool and fast enough for what they are, but essentially kind of heavy, lots of aerodynamic drag, and the 1330 is producing a fraction of the horsepower it could safely produce. This likely keeps things aligned with what Can Am designed Spyders for.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2023 at 08:09 AM.