Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Question for the RT owners - what's a mint '19 RTL worth?

Have an extensive background in the Motorcycle world, been riding something since the mid 50's and will be the first to admit that it is a sickness that can only be controlled by "In the Wind Therapy"..........

First experience with one was in 2010 when SWMBO and I visited a dealer in Arizona to look at one. We actually drove a new '10 White RT around for about 10 miles.

Did not buy one as I had just picked up a new BMW R1200GS.

..........However............Have not gotten over the experience as riding that '10 RT was excellent. As a result, joined Spider Lovers in 2011 and have been active ever since. Can't get over how enjoyable that ride was. A friend and his Wife came over to the house the other day on a F3S that they had had for several years and let me take it for a spin. Was blown away again. We have owned ATV's since the mid 80's so riding Spyders was no different. I turn 80 next month............and can't get over the fact that a Spyder is in my future......sooner or later. As I was riding home from a long ride in our Polaris Ranger yesterday at about 50, was passed by a shiny Blue old style RT, said what the heck, turned around at the first chance and followed him 3 miles to his home.....Surprised him. Nicest guy you could ever meet. He had a show room looking 19' Blue RTL that looked like it just came from the Dealer Showroom. Heated Grips, heated front and back seat, the hole 9 yards............And 755 miles.. Said that he doesn't get to ride it much but as his work is all consuming, keeps it under cover in his Garage and always on a Battery Tender. He finally said that he might be interested in selling it as his wife is wanting to do something else.

Does anyone have any idea what something like that would be worth, a mint '19 RTL with 750 miles?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-13-2023 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

According to Kelly Blue Book, trade in value shows as $22,600 and typical listing price is $27,315. Of course that's not taking into account any modifications it may have. If those mods were things you would not have added yourself then you're paying for something you didn't want. But I think at the end of the day it's worth whatever you're willing to pay. And I wouldn't get too hung up on mileage. A well maintained, high mileage Spyder might be a better deal than a low mileage poorly maintained one.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I did a quick check of Kelly Blue Book, and this is what it had to say: a 2019 RT-L in "good condition with typical mileage" for Alamogordo's zip code has an average selling price (as opposed to trade-in value) of $27,315. Sounds like the one you're describing is well above good condition and well below typical mileage which, at least in theory, makes the KBB price a good starting point.

Our current Spyders are my 2015 RT-S and my wife's 2021 Sea to Sky, and we love them. I just turned 78 and "she who must be obeyed" is 71 and we ride more now than we ever have, thanks to our Spyders.

BTW, we lived at 568 Desert Lakes Road in Alamogordo for six years when my bride was stationed at Holloman, from 1998 to 2004. We really enjoyed the area and have thought of returning to the Tularosa Basin again. Good luck with your Spyder purchase.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I sent you a PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Old Timer

People come in different sizes, and so do Can Am products. When buying a Spyder you must like the seating arrangement before making the final decision. If you like riding 2-up or riding single, you or both must be comfortable. As of 2019 your options were RT or F-3, but now the new 2020+ RT or RTL comes into play. The late models have more seating room, especially riding 2-up.

The 2019 you have your eye on sounds to be an excellent machine, but realize that the warrantee has run out, and the OEM tires are already 4 years old, and it is considered an early model machine now.

To me that machine would be worth less than $20K. I love the room and the ride of a 2020+ RTL.
    Don't buy until you have ridden a 2020+ machine first! The difference in price would be worth the ride.

JMHO, give or take 2 cents, Bill
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-13-2023 at 06:58 PM. Reason: rode - ridden ;-)
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would not go over $20k for a 2019. Chances are it could possibly be out of warranty, unless they previous owner purchased the extended warranty before the original expired. If the warranty has expired, then you would be just as well off buying an older model with the 1330 engine. The only advantage the 2019 would have is a digital dash, which started in 2019. Good luck.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Don't be fooled by the low mileage on a four year old Spyder. These machines are meant to be ridden. When they sit around and are garage queens, they sometimes have issues. Be sure to do your homework.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Don't be fooled by the low mileage on a four year old Spyder. These machines are meant to be ridden. When they sit around and are garage queens, they sometimes have issues. Be sure to do your homework.
    What kind of issues are known to you? I’m just trying to think what is different from one that sits and one that is regularly driven versus one that is stored seasonally in the winter months and can’t come up with it. Thanks for your input.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    I did a quick check of Kelly Blue Book, and this is what it had to say: a 2019 RT-L in "good condition with typical mileage" for Alamogordo's zip code has an average selling price (as opposed to trade-in value) of $27,315. Sounds like the one you're describing is well above good condition and well below typical mileage which, at least in theory, makes the KBB price a good starting point.

Our current Spyders are my 2015 RT-S and my wife's 2021 Sea to Sky, and we love them. I just turned 78 and "she who must be obeyed" is 71 and we ride more now than we ever have, thanks to our Spyders.

BTW, we lived at 568 Desert Lakes Road in Alamogordo for six years when my bride was stationed at Holloman, from 1998 to 2004. We really enjoyed the area and have thought of returning to the Tularosa Basin again. Good luck with your Spyder purchase.
    A beautiful Home, we really like the weather here. My family has had a place since 1923 on the South Fork out of Hunt. I bought my first BMW from a dealer in San Antonio, in 1972, love that area.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

If it were me, I would offer between 17k no higher then 18K.
    The reasons: You will need to replace the tires soon (check the date of the tires) You will most likely need a battery real soon. You would need to get the oil changed. And you may have rust in the tank and old gas in the tank (hopefully gas stabilizer was put in the gas). And last there are 21 and 20 RT's that being listed in the low 20's
    Best Of Luck to you.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

As a rider of both a '13 RTL and '18 RTL If you do buy the '19, then get the BRP Armrests, my SWMBO insists it's the best upgrade I put on either of our RTL's.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    If it were me, I would offer between 17k no higher then 18K.
    The reasons: You will need to replace the tires soon (check the date of the tires) You will most likely need a battery real soon. You would need to get the oil changed. And you may have rust in the tank and old gas in the tank (hopefully gas stabilizer was put in the gas). And last there are 21 and 20 RT's that being listed in the low 20's
    Best Of Luck to you.
    Personally, I wouldn't offer anything and let the owner price it 1st, then I would do as you say. You never know what he might ask for it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-13-2023 at 06:59 PM. Reason: nothing - anything ;-)
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't offer anything and let the owner price it 1st, then I would do as you say. You never know what he might ask for it.
    I totally agree........And there is always "If I could..... Would You".
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-13-2023 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

That's a good point. You never know, his asking price might be lower than what you were willing to offer so you could both walk winners.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is always a tried and true method. I got wind of the price on my 2021 RTL and had to go look at it. When I questioned them on the price, the lady said, "Yeah, that is what I was asking for it, but now I will take $______ (price was $2000 less). I was shocked and told her I would take it on the spot, and that was without even taking it for a test ride. She backed out of the deal the next day. But after stalking her for 4 months, she text me and said she was ready to sell, and did it at the agreed upon price. I could not be happier.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    What kind of issues are known to you? I’m just trying to think what is different from one that sits and one that is regularly driven versus one that is stored seasonally in the winter months and can’t come up with it. Thanks for your input.
    When it sits for an extended period of time, hoses, seals and gaskets dry out, tires get flat spots, gas goes bad, things begin to rust, and the battery dies. Heck, there's probably a lot more things that can happen, too. You have to agree, a four-year-old Spyder with 755 miles doesn't get ridden very often. Often times you read on here someone buying an older, low mileage Spyder (thinking it's a bargain) and having many problems. It's always best to do your homework before buying an older, low mileage, anything.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Knizar in his earlier post said don't buy until you have at least ridden a 2020 or newer model. I second that suggestion. I had a great pristine 2019 and loved it until a year after buying it I rode a 2021 RTL. The difference is unbelievable. I ended up trading for a 2022 new Sea to Sky and couldn't be happier. Don't understand what the difference is but do know that it is remarkable.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

to simply answer your question.... whatever your willing to pay.

offer him 15K cash. much easier to negotiate up than down

Spyder Garage

Hi Old Timer,

Beautiful R12GS!! Those are a really nice bike and the water cooled boxer motors are amazing with LOTS of smooth power in any gear at nearly any rpm. I have taken three different test rides and really liked the water cooled GS.

I have a 2021 RTL as well as a 2009 GS. Can Am has made immense improvements in the current (2020+) RT and RTL models. Stock, my RTL handles almost as well as the 2009GS with aftermarket sway bar and shocks, and WAAAY better than the stock GS did. The stock GS was not the best handling vehicle on the road...but the stiffer sway bar and better shocks made a huge improvement, which was helped even more by a good laser alignment.

Since you ride a R12GS, you are likely a taller rider. The 2020+ RT and RTL have quite a bit more leg room for both rider and passenger than the 2019 and older RTs, plus I really like the floorboard and brake pedal arrangement. I am 6ft 0in tall and the 2021 fits both me, with my wife as a passenger very well. Great wind protection with very little wind noise and buffeting. (The water cooled BMW GS I tested also had very little wind buffeting noise...while I could not adjust the windscreen on the older air cooled GS to get rid of the buffeting.)

After riding the 2021RTL, I took the 2019 or older off my list as the 2020+ was that much better for me and more comfortable and refined as well. And I was able to purchase mine in early 2021, before the supplies dried up and with a good price.

Good luck with your decision and ride safe.

Rod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Rod, I think that I will hang on for a 20+ model. When the rite one comes along..................I'll be ready to jump. Little nervous about the economy and what possibly is going to happen with the outlook with everything that is going on.

Remember........ that we are getting older and there is only so much time left to play, I'll be 80 next month and still going strong.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Hi Old Timer,
    I totally understand what you are saying. I'm only "67", but with aches and pains and knees going south way faster than I would like, I do understand that the time to play is definitely limited. Plus I'm still working so that eats up the majority of my time. The economy: who know what's going to happen there and this is compounded with the lack of integrity and leadership at the top levels in our country...but I digress.

The 20+ RT and RTL are really nice machines with great comfort and quite a lot more leg room, especially for the rider, that the 2019 and older. Luggage is better in my mind and as mentioned, the floorboards are much nicer, IMHO, than the older RTs as well. Wind protection is great and with the adjustable windscreen height, I can find a position that is essentially free of buffeting and wind noise while still looking over the windscreen. For reference, I'm right at 6ft 0in tall. They downside of this wind protection is that it when its hot and humid here in NE KS, I found it to be sweltering hot when riding in my Aerostich Roadcrafter. I got lucky and found a Motoport full Kevlar Mesh suit from one of the members here on the "For Sale by Owner" section that fit me perfectly. It breathes in the hot, humid weather much better than the Roadcrafter and really helps in the summer. This was a great purchase for me! Now I have two great suits for different riding conditions.

Note that there have been several 20+ RT or RTLs showing up on the "For Sale" that might be worth checking out.

Have you tried the F3T or F3TL? I'm not a huge fan of the "cruiser" riding position vs the upright, motorcycle-style position (I also have an older Ducati MTS1100S and a big KTM single), but I think the F3TL was a fun ride with better handling that the RTs...but it does give up lots of wind protection and also storage space. Coming from the BMW R12GS though, you may also prefer the conventional riding position of the RT and RTL.

Good luck with your search and congratulations for being able to ride and enjoy riding at nearly 80. I hope I will be able to say the same at that time.

Rod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    The only advantage the 2019 would have is a digital dash, which started in 2019. Good luck.
    2018 was the first year of digital dash, which I like a lot.

The 2019 RTL Chrome wheels are one of the best looking wheels on any Spyder. I have thought about a 2020+ and tried to buy the silver one at Nash in Mesa, until they played pricing games on me.

So I put PPA ORB chrome wheels one my 2018 replacement the starfish OEM chrome wheels, got a new Garmin Xumo XT GPS and ride on!!!

In the Phoenix area that 2019 would sell for 22K+ in a microsoft minute.
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 02-23-2023 at 12:10 AM.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I would go to couple dealerships and, pound away at them and see how much a new was, then do some sole searching, and ask yourself, what would I be willing to pay for a 5 year old bike! You may want to have the warranty and a little monthly payment and have something new! Unless you're up for doing your own wrenching and don't care about that sort of thing, then I say start low and work your way up!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a tip, turned 90 a few days ago, lovin' my 2020 RTL. However, rode a BMW RT for many years loved that as well, riding two up just got to be a bit risky.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    offer him 15K cash. much easier to negotiate up than down
    True, but you run the risk of the seller being 'insulted' that you would take him to be a sucker for a low price. As a result he may take offense and cut off negotiation completely. It's best to get a good idea of what an item is worth, and then make an offer somewhat less, but not so much less as to let him think you think he's a sucker. The challenge is to figure out what that price is.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)