Spyder Garage

Spyder Noticed any (other?) improvements after the Front Sprocket Recall?

Just wanted to say, after having the front sprocket replaced on my 2017 F3 Daytona, it's practically a new trike! The belt noise and vibrations are gone. I think the recall, with the redesigned sprocket, fixes more than the stripping-out problem the recall is supposed to fix.
    Has anyone else noticed improvements on their Spyder after the recall?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-12-2023 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question & move to General Spyder - not F3 unique... ;-)
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheSpyderRyder View Post
    Just wanted to say, after having the front sprocket replaced on my 2017 F3 Daytona, it's practically a new trike! The belt noise and vibrations are gone. I think the recall, with the redesigned sprocket, fixes more than the stripping-out problem the recall is supposed to fix.
    Was yours stripped out ? If so that may have been the vibration or have they altered your belt tension whilst replacing it that might do it too. If neither you might be onto something, a few thousand miles would be the ultimate test though you would think.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

I've been riding with the new sprocket since late November. While I no longer hear the shaft grinding away at the sprocket I believe your noticing proper belt tension and alignment.
    2016 RT/S
    2021 Gold Wing
    2023 BMW 310GS

Spyder Garage

Default Same for Me

After the recall replacement I also seemed to be getting a smoother ride. I thought it might just be imagination due to removal of a stress factor. Glad to see others notice a positive change. Also there was a slight but noticeable vibration at 3500 RPM that I KNOW is gone.
    Thunder's just the noise. Lightning does the work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Was yours stripped out ? If so that may have been the vibration or have they altered your belt tension whilst replacing it that might do it too. If neither you might be onto something, a few thousand miles would be the ultimate test though you would think.
    No actually, my old sprocket had no issues according to the mechanic. I was almost not even going to have it done but since the shop could do it right away, I said "go ahead".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARD II View Post
    I've been riding with the new sprocket since late November. While I no longer hear the shaft grinding away at the sprocket I believe your noticing proper belt tension and alignment.
    That's kind of what I'm thinking. Does your shop use the sound meter for belt tensioning? I know my alignment was correct from before, but I used a Kircket to set my tension, according to its procedure. My current tension reads 200 on the device. I used 160 or 180 before.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjweber45 View Post
    After the recall replacement I also seemed to be getting a smoother ride. I thought it might just be imagination due to removal of a stress factor. Glad to see others notice a positive change. Also there was a slight but noticeable vibration at 3500 RPM that I KNOW is gone.
    Mine has no vibrations at all. I still use a Lamonster belt tensioner, but before it didn't remove all the vibration. And I used to have a pronounced whine at 40mph and again at 70mph, and that's gone!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-18-2023 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Lemonster - Lamonster ;-)

Spyder Garage

That's kind of what I'm thinking. Does your shop use the sound meter for belt tensioning? I know my alignment was correct from before, but I used a Kircket to set my tension, according to its procedure. My current tension reads 200 on the device. I used 160 or 180 before.
    Terry, while my Spyder was down waiting for the sprocket I set to work trying to reduce extraneous sound. My alignment was OK but I too worked the cricket. I screwed it all together at that recommended 180 range. Better, but still needed more. Did it all again to right about 200 and the belt flutter noise was gone. Especially under negative throttle slowing down. Still had that grinding of the shaft/sprocket. That was replaced in mid November and my shortened winter rides all seem good. I believe he used a phone app. for tone?
    2016 RT/S
    2021 Gold Wing
    2023 BMW 310GS

Spyder Garage

At least your dealer got a replacement pulley. I've gotten two notices from BRP, the second wondering why I had not responded to the recall and had the work done. No pulleys at the 2 dealers close. Their protocol is to remove, inspect, and moly grease the splines, and call it good.
    I refused... the recall clearly says the pulley will be replaced.
    But IMO, typical for BRP... they seem to have some difficulties getting their collective stuff swept into one pile.
    Still waiting on a pulley BRP......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARD II View Post
    Terry, while my Spyder was down waiting for the sprocket I set to work trying to reduce extraneous sound. My alignment was OK but I too worked the cricket. I screwed it all together at that recommended 180 range. Better, but still needed more. Did it all again to right about 200 and the belt flutter noise was gone. Especially under negative throttle slowing down. Still had that grinding of the shaft/sprocket. That was replaced in mid November and my shortened winter rides all seem good. I believe he used a phone app. for tone?
    I know that according to shop procedure, you're supposed to have their sound meter. The belt's supposed to vibrate at a certain pitch when it's rapped with a screwdriver. Who has bucks to buy the "approved" sound meter? Do you know what the phone app was?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    At least your dealer got a replacement pulley. I've gotten two notices from BRP, the second wondering why I had not responded to the recall and had the work done. No pulleys at the 2 dealers close. Their protocol is to remove, inspect, and moly grease the splines, and call it good.
    I refused... the recall clearly says the pulley will be replaced.
    But IMO, typical for BRP... they seem to have some difficulties getting their collective stuff swept into one pile.
    Still waiting on a pulley BRP......
    Both my local shops could replace the pulley, but one was farther away (40 miles) and couldn't do it until March. The one close by did it right away! If they had the pulley, it's too bad they won't give it to you. You could do the job yourself.
    Last edited by TerryTheSpyderRyder; 02-19-2023 at 01:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

I had my pulley replaced on my 2015 F3S on 2-17-23. The tech said that my old pulley was not showing any wear. With the new pulley I have noticed a significant reduction in noise when accelerating from 20 through 50 mph. Prior to the replacement the roar in that speed range was very troubling. I don't believe he made any adjustment to belt tension.

Spyder Garage

Geez, after reading all of the positive comments about the infamous sprocket I'm kinda excited. My dealer finally called me and he has my sprocket in his shop and will be installed this Thursday. It "only" took about 7-8 months to get it????
    My dealer is 40 miles away so I am trailering my 2018 RT Limited and won't have any opportunity to ride and see how it feels as we have cold and snow???
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    Geez, after reading all of the positive comments about the infamous sprocket I'm kinda excited. My dealer finally called me and he has my sprocket in his shop and will be installed this Thursday. It "only" took about 7-8 months to get it????
    My dealer is 40 miles away so I am trailering my 2018 RT Limited and won't have any opportunity to ride and see how it feels as we have cold and snow???
    BIG F
    Actually, the way the recall worked was, first they had you take your trike in for inspection (several months ago) to see if it needed the sprocket and if so, they'd replace it. Mine didn't, so I figured that was the end of it. Then around November I got a new recall notice saying BRP was going to replace sprockets on all the qualified trikes. So I got a local shop who did mine the first of Feb.

Spyder Garage

Had mine inspected last fall before winter shutdown here and it was fine, they didn't have the new sprockets in anyway yet.... called and booked mine in for replacement next month when hopefully the conveyer belt of ice and 100km+ winds will have wrapped up! Have a trip scheduled for May from Southern Ontario to New Orleans via the Smokies and back up along the Mississippi so want to know the bike is good for then....

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Neilsen Motorsports have them in stock. My Spyder is going in March 17th. Come early, they get busy after March.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-04-2023 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2015 f3s

Spyder Garage

Took mine in this morning. 40 mile ride at thirty five degrees, but hey, that's what Gerbing's gear is for. Took all of 45 minutes to do the job. Mine 2015 RT with 48,000 on it was showing no sign of failure, but the job is complete and I will pick up the bike at today at closing. Temps are due to be in the 50's so a bit warmer return home. I will report if anything miraculous takes place due to the change.
    2015 RT , Black