Spyder Garage

Default Need suggestions for record keeping software

I seem to have developed a reputation as the go-to mechanic in my area. As such I find myself in need of some kind of record keeping software. I would simply like to keep searchable records of which/who's bikes I worked on, what I did to them, and what I charged them, so I can be consistent and fair to all. I'm thinking even just a database template or something like it. I would very much prefer an open source/free program or template since I'm not running any form of commercial shop or business. I'm simply working on the Spyders of my friends and other club members. I don't need online access to parts databases or repair manuals. I don't need to print invoices, etc. I just want a way to remember what I did and what I charged for a given job. I use LibreOffice already. If anyone knows of such software/templates, please let me know. Thank you!
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

When I had a shop, I used Quickbooks for several years. As our fleet got bigger, I then had to look into something with more capability.

After re-reading your post I see that you're looking for something free, not sure what that might be.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I just for grins looked at the quickbooks website. I see that it's now like a lot of others and run on a subscription service. When I used it you purchased the program and was done unless you did tax's and reporting to IRS and State. No way would I use it now.

Again good luck.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you have Microsoft Office, you should be able to put something together using Excel.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

If you want to create/ use a database, most of the software will require at least a basic understanding of Structured Query Language (SQL)The basics are, but the more advanced stuff can be daunting.
    There are several open-source options if you want to go this route. But like @CopperSpyder suggested, the easiest option may be to use Excel.

Good luck!

--Exco
    2021 RT-L only has a few cosmetic mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
    ... the easiest option may be to use Excel...
    One could also use LibreOffice instead of Microsoft office. OpenSource and free of licencing. Also there are a couple of OpenSource-Solutions about ERP out there.

I would suggest to generate a workbook in OpenOffice/LibreOffice etc. At the backend both have a SQL Server available. Also a smaller DBMSysten like MS Access. The documentation about Programming in LibreBasic/Starbasic is not that bad. Ant as already said. It is free of licensing costs and avaiable on Windows, Mac and Linux. My own business is managing 3D-Printers, Working queues, Material, Project plans etc. All of that i did need around 5.000 Lines of code for Macros etc. I did all of it in Excel and now i'm unhappy not to have it in an OpenSource-Alternative. Just my 5 cents.

Spyder Garage

I'm aware of Excel and Access and the open source versions. Is anyone aware of any existing templates for either of these? I really only want to have a searchable record of what I did, who it was for, and what I charges them.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I'm a big fan of using Excel like a couple of others suggested. It is an incredibly versatile tool that is almost unlimited in what you can do with it. I use it to track mileage and maintenance on my stable of 4 BMWs, 2 Hondas and the Spyder. I also have an extensive sheet that I track my workouts in. It has spots for home workouts including aerobic time on the stationary bike and a section for tracking real bicycle rides that give me calories burned based on my weight, average speed broken down in tenths of MPH and time ridden and I recently added a page to that one to track medications. All it takes to create something in Excel is a little imagination and some basic knowledge of math.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quick books. Not free, I know, but capable of all you want to do without learning programming.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Do a Google search for free Quickbooks alternative. You probably will find something you can use.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)