Spyder Garage

Default Pedal Box or Pedal Commander?

Spyder Community,

I'm in the process/planning of adding several accessories (new speakers/audio upgrades) to my new RT Limited. One of the items on my list is either the Pedal Box/Pedal Commander. I've viewed several Youtube videos on each one as well as Martin The Vlogger's take on each one.
    Today, I saw Pierre from CamAmSpyderAcessories, install the Pedal Box on a 2020 Rt Limited. It didn't seem too complicated to install.
    What is the forum's take on either one?
    Pros and cons on either one, please.
    Once I complete my audio upgrade and the other accessories I have planned, pictures will be posted.
    Thanks, Arcamguy
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arcamguy View Post
    Spyder Community,

I'm in the process/planning of adding several accessories (new speakers/audio upgrades) to my new RT Limited. One of the items on my list is either the Pedal Box/Pedal Commander. I've viewed several Youtube videos on each one as well as Martin The Vlogger's take on each one.
    Today, I saw Pierre from CamAmSpyderAcessories, install the Pedal Box on a 2020 Rt Limited. It didn't seem too complicated to install.
    What is the forum's take on either one?
    Pros and cons on either one, please.
    Once I complete my audio upgrade and the other accessories I have planned, pictures will be posted.
    Thanks, Arcamguy
    if you do a search you will see lots of post on the subject. some examples of the search https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...edal+Commander
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...edal+Commander
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Either unit will install by simply plugging it into the throttle connector on the right side. No hassle to do.

Both units work the same and both have a phone app if you prefer. The pedal box claims to be waterproof but my Pedal Commander sits on my dash and has been soaked many times without ever having a problem.

My take is get the one that costs less.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

2022 RT - under warranty. Adding items such as this at this time may not be a good thing. OEMs are getting gun shy with regards to warranties and this add on changes its factory design. Not to say not to do it, but I'd wait until the warranty is over. May want to look into the Monster ECU flash. The Pedal Box/Commander addresses and issue, not the root problem. The Mygenius may be a good option, compare prices. Good luck.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
    2022 RT - under warranty. Adding items such as this at this time may not be a good thing. OEMs are getting gun shy with regards to warranties and this add on changes its factory design. Not to say not to do it, but I'd wait until the warranty is over. May want to look into the Monster ECU flash. The Pedal Box/Commander addresses and issue, not the root problem. The Mygenius may be a good option, compare prices. Good luck.
    I must admit that if MyGenius was around when I bought my Commander, I probably would have gone that way for the complete upgrade, Rednax…..but it wasn’t……..and as it turns out, the Commander addresses my major issue of bogging down anyway.
    Since it’s a 5 minute job to disconnect the Commander or Box, the dealer wouldn’t even see it.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
    I have the Pedal Commander mounted under my right side panel where it hooks into the factory wiring. I would not go back now after having it installed for several months. I have had my bike into the dealer two times since I installed it. Each time I take it off prior to taking it in just to avoid any problems. It takes 5 minutes to take it off or put back on. That cannot be said for an ECU flash. But either the PB or PC will do you well. The PC used to be the only BT box available but that is not the case anymore. Just hide it away, control it with the app, and you are golden.
    Last edited by FrogmanDave; 02-13-2023 at 05:26 PM.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

If you are considering either the Box or the Commander, keep in mind that neither has an IP rating. While some people have installed them on handlebars with no problems, in the long run, you should ask if you really need the control box to be exposed to the elements. I put mine in the glove box.
    Both have great reviews and basically do the same thing: change the acceleration curve. The Box is not as aggressive as the Commander, but you will never run either of them at their most aggressive setting.
    If you want Bluetooth (so you can control it with your phone), that is a consideration for upfront pricing. I have the Commander, it has BT, I paid a little more, and I'm happy with it. But, I could live without it. You will probably put it on a setting that you are comfortable with and leave it there. I sometimes load mine into a cargo trailer, and I find it handy to cut back the curve so I have more control when I'm driving up the ramp into the trailer.
    Most people who have them say they will never go back. I agree.
    Have fun; be safe!
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

I have the Pedal Commander on my 2022 RTL. I also have it on my 2022 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax and my wife's 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe. Love it on all of them. I have it unit installed on my bike behind the right side black panel that you remove to plug it in. It's there because any adjustments I need to do I do it on the app on my phone. The same goes for my vehicles, I have the unit tucked up under the dash and use the app for them as well.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I have the Pedal Commander mounted under my right side panel where it hooks into the factory wiring. I would not go back now after having it installed for several months. I have had my bike into the dealer two times since I installed it. Each time I take it off prior to taking it in just to avoid any problems. It takes 5 minutes to take it off or put back on. That cannot be said for an ECU flash. But either the PB or PC will do you well. The PC used to be the only BT box available but that is not the case anymore. Just hide it away, control it with the app, and you are golden.
    Dave, just by way of explanation, the flash can now be performed at home using the MyGenius box that Monster are selling for the Spyder. It’s a simple matter of removing the temporary flash before you take it to the dealer. It also means you can take your flash with you when you sell, and apply it to a new Spyder, for a small fee.

https://www.monsterfuelinjection.com/

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Dave, just by way of explanation, the flash can now be performed at home using the MyGenius box that Monster are selling for the Spyder. It’s a simple matter of removing the temporary flash before you take it to the dealer. It also means you can take your flash with you when you sell, and apply it to a new Spyder, for a small fee.

Pete
    According to Monster, the handheld do it at home option is not available for my '15 RT. ECM mail in option only. I suspect same is true for all 1330 models.

Spyder Garage

Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by svspyder View Post
    According to Monster, the handheld do it at home option is not available for my '15 RT. ECM mail in option only. I suspect same is true for all 1330 models.
    I did not realize that Pete but as svspyder says, not all of the flashes work that way. Those were the ones I was referring to.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I did not realize that Pete but as svspyder says, not all of the flashes work that way. Those were the ones I was referring to.
    I’ll have to do a bit more research, Dave……I only made that comment because I am sure that I saw one advertised for the Spyder a couple of years ago, but they weren’t available in Australia, which disappointed me. Mind you, my memory lately HAS been known to not be the “steel trap” that it used to be

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I’ll have to do a bit more research, Dave……I only made that comment because I am sure that I saw one advertised for the Spyder a couple of years ago, but they weren’t available in Australia, which disappointed me. Mind you, my memory lately HAS been known to not be the “steel trap” that it used to be

Pete
    I have a 16 rtl i messaged monster about it they said 17 up will work for do it yourselfer.