Spyder Garage

Default Buds V1 (2008 GS) flashing modules with updated software - how?

Hey all. Recently bought a gently used 2008 GS for my wife.

Since I do pretty much all my maintenance and such I bought my own BRP diagnostic box and am all setup with BUDS and BUDS2. The first thing that irked me was that the cluster was in French (unit was bought in Quebec) and apparently in the early model years the only way to change the language was via BUDS - and it stuck in my craw that it was going to cost me $150 or so to have a dealer do it. So here I am.

I hooked up to the GS this afternoon and got the cluster changed and looked at all the data in there. Cool.

But I'm pretty sure that all of the various modules are significantly out of date on their software versions. The engine ECM for example still shows a 2008 software version and I believe I saw updates available in the list.

But when I click on the various modules in the top menu the "update" option is greyed out.

Am I missing something?

Spyder Garage

I don't know about buds and I use buds 2 on my bike and I believe buds 2 is backwards compatible. On buds 2 you can click each module and if there is a firmware update the update will be listed. There will be a flash icon on the module too to indicate a flash update. I do not know about your year but on my 21 to flash the cluster you also need a male to male USB cable plugged in to the BRP Go USB port where you connect the phone to the bike.
    2021 Syder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Buds2 isn't backwards compatible with <2016 (IIRC that's the breakpoint) models. Tried earlier today and it sort of connects but nothing works properly.

BudsV1 connects and operates normally, but the update option being ghosted has me confused.

Spyder Garage

At the top of the screen click on Modules. You'll see the 7 modules listed. When you drop down onto one of them there will be an arrow to the right. That will open a menu with Information, and Update. If Update is still greyed out, then you have the current software. BUDS2 is not backwards compatible with BUDS. Use BUDS on model years 2008-2016, and BUDS2 on 2017 and newer.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    At the top of the screen click on Modules. You'll see the 7 modules listed. When you drop down onto one of them there will be an arrow to the right. That will open a menu with Information, and Update. If Update is still greyed out, then you have the current software. BUDS2 is not backwards compatible with BUDS. Use BUDS on model years 2008-2016, and BUDS2 on 2017 and newer.

Only 3 modules IIRC on the 2008.

Options for update all all greyed out on all of them despite there some showing 2009 firmware versions, and I'm pretty sure I see newer versions of some modules firmware showing in the update list.

I have the megatech licence so it's not that.

I did some work on a Skidoo MX today and had the same result, all modules showed "Update" greyed out despite there being updates available I'm pretty sure.

Spyder Garage

B.U.D.S. provides a function that you can use to update module’s software.

Every time B.U.D.S. reads a MPEM document from a vehicle, it gets the identification of the module, then it looks in its update database to see if it can find a matching software update. If B.U.D.S. finds an update for the module, then it enables the Update... menu and displays the following icon in the lower right corner of the screen:

_bm8

To update a module's software

When the module identification matches a mandatory update, then the Update command is called automatically. To update the module, simply follow the instructions provided by B.U.D.S..

If for any reason the internal software of the module is corrupted and B.U.D.S. cannot read its identification, then you will be asked to enter the vehicle serial and model numbers manually. In the later case, make sure that you enter the exact numbers, otherwise B.U.D.S. could not match the module with its corresponding software update.

B.U.D.S. also allows you to call the Update command manually. This can be usefull if an update is available for the module but the update is not mandatory or if an update process has been interrupted. To manually intiate the update process, follow these steps:

1. Select the Update command:
    _bm0 From the Module | MPEM menu to update a MPEM.
    _bm0 From the Module | ECM menu to update an ECM.
    2. Select the appropriate update from the Update Database window.
    3. Follow the instructions provided by B.U.D.S..
    Notes

Some models may not need to be updated, even if B.U.D.S. shows that an update is available.

Always consult related service bulletins before updating a module's software since you will not be able to go backward.

Spyder Garage

The Update Database window provides functions that you can use to view or add module updates.

To open the update database window

You can view all updates that are registered in your B.U.D.S. system using the Update Database window. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Select Update Database... from the Tools menu.
    2. Use the vertical scroll bar to view all updates. For each update, the window shows its name, date, description and update file name.
    3. Click on the Close button when you are finished.
    To add an update to the update database

To let B.U.D.S. know about the existence of an update, you must add it to your update database. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Select Update Database... from the Tools menu.
    2. Click on the Update Database window Add Update... button.
    3. Locate the update file that you want to add. The update file name extension is '.fc'.
    4. Double-click on the document file name.
    Note

Upon startup, B.U.D.S. looks for unregistered update files in its default "UpdateFiles" folder located in your working directory (where B.U.D.S. was installed). If new updates are found, then B.U.D.S. will inform you that they will be added to your database automatically. If previously registered update files are missing, then B.U.D.S. will ask you to get these files and add them back to your database.

Spyder Garage

Thanks - I'll hook up to the machine again tomorrow and dig some more using the info you shared. Will report back.