Spyder Garage

Default Is 82 from Carbondale to twin lakes paved all the way?

No matter what app I use or Google maps typed in Carbondale, Aspen, twin lakes it reroutes. I try to program from Carbondale colorado to twin lakes it takes me north off 82 to 70 and back down even when I use motorcycle no highways. It stops at Aspen. Is it paved from Aspen to twin lakes? This is for next July not right now. Was told it an awesome pass. Will be coming up 133 to 82 and want to get to Salida. When I zoom in on Google maps it sure looks paved all the way.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 02-05-2023 at 07:17 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

The reason Google Maps and other apps route up to 70 is because 82 is routinely closed from Oct - May. If you use Google Maps and switch to the satellite view you can see 82 is paved all the way from Carbondale to Twin Lakes. I rode it in July 2019 specifically to go over Independence Pass and it was paved.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have relied on "google maps" for years .... as Jay said, try the Satellite view .... When you zoom in on the road you can see if it has Painted lanes etc. .... they NEVER paint them on gravel, dirt, or sand surfaces..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-05-2023 at 11:53 PM. Reason: grevel - gravel ;-)

Spyder Garage

Its a pretty drive in the summer. Be aware of altitude sickness, hydrate, and most high passes in Colorado have snow and are closed if not a major interstate. Yes it is paved, but check the CDOT site, Mt Evans, Trail Ridge Road and others usually open around Memorial Day.....https://www.codot.gov/projects/archi...formation.html
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 02-06-2023 at 09:24 AM.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Thanks aero and jaybros. I am aware of altitude sickness. I have mountain sledded for years to the north towards steamboat etc in the winter since 2015. I’ve been in silvertorn but just not in the middle part in the summer time. It will be mid July. I expect traffic on 50 in the morning and usually rain or mist in the afternoons. I have gear for both conditions ( vented and solid) including gortex rain gear also. I will be running Mt Evans after this run and have the reservations already in for the day pass, I will be in black canyon and also have the day pass and site reserved. From Mt Evans I am heading to Estes by peak to peak highway with reservations also already set. Heads up, if anyone is planning on going into Estes, it is officially full now all July. They shut a campground down and unless someone cancels reservations for the day pass which will happen, you are not able to enter the park. All day passes AM and PM are full for the month of July. Looking at Mt Evans most of July is also filled with the day passes. I expect cancellations each day when weather is not fair but most of the AM are all filled on Mt Evans during July. I was surprised they filled up so fast being 6 months out but thats what the new system is causing in most of the national parks and especially in Colorado. Pikes Peak is about 1/2 filled for July. Again most are AM. PM is wide open for pikes peak. I was told to check in 24 hours before arrival incase passes open. I purchased them anyway. They are $5 instate or $10 out of state and refundable if canceled 24 hours ahead. No day pass not entry if the amount of arrivals meet the max allotment which in Estes has already been done.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 02-06-2023 at 09:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

Just a note for anyone riding independence pass this year … try and come into aspen from the twin lakes side. The traffic coming in from the west is just crazy, especially during rush hours. Great ride though and it is paved.

2022 RTL HyperSilver
    2018 Honda Goldwing Tour White
    2022 RTL , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Good note Tim. Thanks. I can run it either way since I am ending at the same point. I will take your advise. I was told running north on 92 on the east side of black canyon is better than running south. So I guess I just have to make a decision which circle to go. Counter clockwise or clockwise. It will be way before rush hour like 2-3 I’m guessing or early moring if I go the other way.

Spyder Garage

Highway 50 between Montrose and the intersection of 50 and 92 has been under construction for several years now and although they intend to open later this summer, it may still be closed until ??? It would be wise if you're heading that way to check www.us50info.com. 92 is really a memorable ride on the north side of Black Canyon.

2022 RTL HyperSilver
    2018 Honda Goldwing Tour White
    2022 RTL , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

"I was told running north on 92 on the east side of black canyon is better than running south. " We always enjoy 92 either way from the 50 turn-off to Hotchkiss with the scenic pulloffs and frequent wildlife sightings. Mornings are best for wildlife viewing and to beat the traffic as well.

I prefer southbound as the scenic pulloffs are easier as you'll be on the cliff side for exit and entry without crossing traffic. Take your time and enjoy the scenery- don't overschedule and stop for BBQ at Zacks in Hotchkiss for a tasty stop.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I agree. Went from Buena Vista over Independence into Aspen. I HATE Aspen. You have to go through the middle of town and it sucks in the summer.