Spyder Garage

Default Any recommendations for Spyder hauling Trailer rentals?

My brother is thinking about towing his RT from Wyoming to North Carolina this spring. Does anyone have any recommendations for trailer rentals? Thanks
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Uhaul
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    Uhaul
    ............... But finding one may be very difficult ..... make sure the " tailgate " is wider than the Spyder, some here have rented them only to discover ( upon arrival to pick-up ) the renter used the wrong measurement ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ............... But finding one may be very difficult ..... make sure the " tailgate " is wider than the Spyder, some here have rented them only to discover ( upon arrival to pick-up ) the renter used the wrong measurement ...... Mike
    not only that but that the ramp is long enough to not high center on some additional boards may be required as loading ramps. **Additionally, if it is an open trailer, do not put a cover on the bike - - wind flutter on the cover will scuff the paint on bike!**
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-05-2023 at 02:10 AM. Reason: ram - ramp ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

A UHaul 6’x12’ enclosed will work - but ONLY if it’s the swing-open door (NOT the roll-up door). Will have to take/get ramps to load it. My wife hauled hers over 550 miles like that. No problems.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Finding a trailer, open or enclosed, is the easy part. Tying it down so it's secure without damaging anything is another adventure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    Uhaul
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... make sure the " tailgate " is wider than the Spyder, some here have rented them only to discover ( upon arrival to pick-up ) the renter used the wrong measurement ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    ... some additional boards may [WILL] be required as loading ramps.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Finding a trailer, open or enclosed, is the easy part. Tying it down so it's secure without damaging anything is another adventure.
    When we got my wife's Spyder a few years ago, I was not sure I wanted to hop on it and ride it 300 miles home as a "get acquainted" trip, so I looked for trailers. The best one I found was a U-Haul 6x12 open trailer. I found that trailer comes in two varieties: one has a modest ramp (which is nowhere near long enough to load a Syder), the other has a flip-down tailgate that is only a few inches high. Checking details, I found that the trailer with the little flip-down tailgate has an opening that is just about the full 6 feet width of the trailer, but the one with the 'ramp' had gussets at the back that reduced the width of the opening to about 5', which is too narrow. Since I already have folding aluminum ramps, it was an easy choice. I just had to fabricate a third ramp for the rear wheel.

To secure the Spyder, I did a little more research. One diagram that I saw showed that the center of gravity (COG) is about where the vents are, just behind the front wheels. My plan was to end up with that just forward of the axle centerline of the trailer. Measuring the trailer and comparing it with measurements in brochures, I determined that a parking block about 3' from the front of the trailer would work. I cut a 2x4 to fit the width of the trailer. Even though it's a rented trailer, I refuse to deface it to screw that block to the floor, so I cut a couple more 2x4s that kept that board from sliding forward. The side boards were about 5' long, which placed them alongside the front tires, keeping them and the fenders from rubbing the sides of the trailer. Soft ties and ratchet straps from the front wheels to the front corners held the front in place. More soft ties and ratchet straps from the rear wheel to the rear corners held the rear. I could not detect ANY movement by the time we got home.

Back to the original post: is this a one-way trip, or is he taking it back? A one-way rental costs a LOT. A round trip will reduce the cost, but then there will be several days of non-use while he is in NC. Either way, it will likely be less than buying a trailer.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Awesome info. Thanks so much. Yes it will be a round trip rental, good to know about the pricing. Thanks again!
    2018 F3 Limited

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Daily Rate????

...Be careful with the round-trip rate. Some
    trailer rentals have a 'Daily Rate'.
    This can be an expensive trailer rental.

How do I know? Been there and done that issue.

My Tip: Check out both ways. One way vs Two way.

Have yourself a great trip.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue