Spyder Garage

Default F4 Windshield Evaluation - for Passenger

Maybe not a super evaluation but a comparison with both the Sport and the BRP Adventure shields. I liked the Sport shield, small and perfect for my face, the wife hated it. Too much wind and buffeting behind me. So I bought the Adventure shield - 150% larger and still looked good to me.

Well that 150% did not impress the wife. I rode in pretty calm conditions in my shorty helmets. Easily looked over top of the windshield, no dealing with the distortion and liking the protection. That did not last long as the "back seat rider" sure bitched about the wind buffeting. Hence this $400 F4 Custom.

IMG_5669.jpg

No issues mounting. Took a solo ride in crosswinds and it was more protective than the Adventure. I literally tried to stand up and could not get wind to hit my helmet top. Yes - I am now looking through the 16" windshield that sits 18" above the fuel deck. Thank goodness it is clear. That upper flare sure does keep the wind up high above your head.

IMG_5671.jpg

Did not notice any vibration at up to 75 mph. Thought there might be some extra movement of the bike at speed but was testing in some nasty crosswinds so no conclusion. Then the wife came home. Off we went for the real test. She liked it. Went over 70 mph and she said there was no lifting of her helmet, just wind on her ears without the buffeting. Phew. So in conclusion, from her point of view, the F4 is a good windshield.

I do NOT like it but I don't count for much. The darn thing is just too big for the "little" Ryker. It looks out of place to me. Sure takes that sporty look away. I do not relish having to look through it but fortunately, there's a whole lot of world above and around the thing when your ride. The information says it will not scratch. Hope that is the truth. It does clean crystal clear without distortion. There is no adjustment up/down or angled. This is what you get. For protection it probably rules. As a sporty companion to the bike, I have to deal with the thing to keep mamma happy.

IMG_5670.jpg

Spyder Garage

I think I'd rather get my wife her own Ryker then to compromise my ride experience, but hey, that's just me.

Spyder Garage

My wife is all in on the F4 windshields. We ride a 2020 RTL. Huge difference for her! All the way down I can just see over the top. Butt, when she is on and the buffeting gets bad. I raise it up for her. Expensive, but you get what you pay for. Ours is tinted, plus 4 wide and tall. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

This is the windshield I purchased from F4 Customs. What I like it its made from optical grade polycarbonate, so no distortion that I noticed while looking through it.

uukmyuk.jpg
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

My wife flunked multiple tries at the Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses. Even special teaching failed. I tried and all she did was wreck, then wreck some more. Futile. Now at age 75 she is long past learning to ride anything, even a Ryker. She still loves to ride on the back of a Harley. Now trying to get her comfortable on the Ryker.

The F4 on a Ryker does NOT adjust up or down. Mine is 16" high but measures 18" off the fuel deck. They might adjust on a Spyder but not on the Ryker. Looked at Spyder and lost interest quickly. Weighing over 1/2 a ton and over 9 ft. long, they would not even fit easily in my toy hauler. Plus, never had any interest in radios and creature comforts on a motorcycle. That lack of interest carried over to the three wheelers.

Appreciate all comments.

Spyder Garage

Another update.

Just rode 75 mph for a number of miles with very strong wind gusts from the side. Now normally that would throw us around and cause me grief from the wife behind me. Well, she thought it was fine and praised the windshield.
    All you need to know about the F4.