Spyder Garage

Default Apple Car Play or Android Auto for Your Spyder

Ran across this option this morning for those folks that have been requesting it. Looks interesting. Couple of articles on the unit .

https://www.advrider.com/easy-carpla...-for-any-bike/

https://www.advrider.com/long-term-r...ter-01-31-2023

https://www.maxcauto.com/maxca-xplay...r_p151078.html

Anyone tried one yet?
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

$300+ and not easy install on top of a bike that already has a smartphone system????

Too funny!
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    $300+ and not easy install on top of a bike that already has a smartphone system????

Too funny!
    Some folks want Apple / Android. For them it might be the best thing since sliced bread. Just posting for them. Myself, not to interested. Bet it beats the heck out of the POS system in the 2018 and 2019's they shipped out, even with the so called upgrade. And it seems like it would be as easy to install.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I myself will look into this. I haven't given BRP Go a 100% try to get working, but the effort I have put in this far has not born fruit. Currently, my iPhone is Bluetoothed to the bike, and charging with a data blocker on the glove box cable. I happily use Waze, Apple Maps, and Google Maps for navigation, and listen to Pandora, Sirius XM, and iHeart Radio for my music, with turn-by-turn directions voicing over the music through my bike speakers. BRP Go doesn't seem to give me those options. (Unless they are there, hidden from a tech dinosaur like me.)
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Too funny!
    I've got to say I'm going with EdMat on this one. The article clearly states that it can be bought for $128 and the install should be very simple. I am probably not interested in it because I am happy with BRP Go, but there are MANY who are not.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With cell phones getting bigger and bigger, why not just mount your phone to the dash/handlebars? If you're riding all day, you'll need to plug in your phone to keep it charged anyway.
    2021 Honda HRV
    2245 Constitution class starship (refitted 2270-2271) (for sale)
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT (gone)
    2019 Honda CR-V (gone)
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited (gone)
    2014 Kawasaki Nomad (gone)

Spyder Garage

Mine plays music inside the helmet from a $30 MP3 player in the tank bag.

It is tiny........ about the size of a large match box. Holds thousands of songs on a 32 gig mini-SD chip.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I've got to say I'm going with EdMat on this one. ... I am happy with BRP Go, but there are MANY who are not.
    Maybe the '22 models are different, but I have a '19 like EdMat. BRP Connect app is almost worthless, and once I'm on the road, the only choice is to crank it way up and listen to thin, tinny, distorted sound from the system speakers or what I normally do: leave it off.

CarPlay and Android Auto would be good, but they should be provided in the BRP system, not by some unknown add-on device from China. The audio system is the biggest disappointment on a machine I otherwise like.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    With cell phones getting bigger and bigger, why not just mount your phone to the dash/handlebars? If you're riding all day, you'll need to plug in your phone to keep it charged anyway.
    Yes, that is certainly where we are heading, MONK. Apple have addressed the issue of vibration affecting the camera’s image stabilisation on the new iPhones, they are fully submersible, the screens are very visible in full daylight, and a full blown GPS app that is satellite driven and independent of your mobile phone service (except for weather and traffic conditions along your route) costs only $40 or so per year. The only issue standing in the way currently is iPhone overheating in full sun (not sure if smartphones also do that), and the difficulty of using them wearing gloves. It’s only a matter of time, and they will be a very viable adversary to even the brilliant Garmin XT.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RideOn View Post
    Maybe the '22 models are different, but I have a '19 like EdMat. BRP Connect app is almost worthless, and once I'm on the road, the only choice is to crank it way up and listen to thin, tinny, distorted sound from the system speakers or what I normally do: leave it off.

CarPlay and Android Auto would be good, but they should be provided in the BRP system, not by some unknown add-on device from China. The audio system is the biggest disappointment on a machine I otherwise like.

We don’t use BRP Connect anymore, we now use BRP Go and it works much better.

So far, only Honda and Harley have ACP and they require a Bluetooth headset or it won’t work.

The ability to control what you see and hear is important and touching the phone while riding is not easy and is distracting. Its so much easier to use the joystick or controller that is built in to the bike. Whether ACP or HC Connect, BRP Connect or BMW’s TFT system, it’s all very similar and designed to be used on MC’s.

All we need is music and navigation, so I fail to understand why anyone would want anything else while riding the backroads.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 02-02-2023 at 09:43 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

We don’t use BRP Connect anymore, we now use BRP Go and it works much better.

So far, only Honda and Honda have ACP and they require a Bluetooth headset or it won’t work.

The ability to control what you see and hear is important and touching the phone while riding is not easy and is distracting. Its so much easier to use the joystick or controller that is built in to the bike. Whether ACP or HC Connect, BRP Connect or BMW’s TFT system, it’s all very similar and designed to be used on MC’s.

All we need is music and navigation, so I fail to understand why anyone would want anything else while riding the backroads.
    You keep bringing up this “you mustn’t touch your phone while riding” as an argument for using BRP Go, Flamewinger. In fact, it appears to be your major argument against phones etc. I can assure you that saying “Siri” into your headset, and giving it a command, involves even less hand involvement and distraction than fiddling with the BRP Go joystick. I can do just about anything via Siri, so the “touching phone buttons distraction” argument is a moot one. Unfortunately, Siri is unavailable while using BRP Go resulting in the distraction of having to use one hand to operate the joystick.……but, I have to admit that the joystick is a good idea and BRP Go has got better over the years…..but it still only appeals to a certain market in its current form.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    You keep bringing up this “you mustn’t touch your phone while riding” as an argument for using BRP Go, Flamewinger. In fact, it appears to be your major argument against phones etc. I can assure you that saying “Siri” into your headset, and giving it a command, involves even less hand involvement and distraction than fiddling with the BRP Go joystick. I can do just about anything via Siri, so the “touching phone buttons distraction” argument is a moot one. Unfortunately, Siri is unavailable while using BRP Go resulting in the distraction of having to use one hand to operate the joystick.……but, I have to admit that the joystick is a good idea and BRP Go has got better over the years…..but it still only appeals to a certain market in its current form.

Pete
    Just to add to what Peteoz said, if you have an android all you have to do is say "hey google" and follow up with your command.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post

Pete
    There are many times when I see a video of someone trying to give a voice command in a car no less, and it failing and they have to repeat it more than once. What with wind and road noise we have, I find it hard to believe voice command’s really work well. It’s why all the motorcycles with the new smartphone system have hand controls. Plus I got my bike to ride not to play with my phone or make phone calls.

I know of two riders that got tickets for touching their Garmin or phone while riding and they weren’t cheap.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I know of two riders that got tickets for touching their Garmin or phone while riding and they weren’t cheap.
    Well then, I guess that it's a good thing that even if we're not allowed to touch our 'phones at all while riding/driving Pete, at least here in Oz we're still allowed to touch a dedictated GPS &/or our CB type radios!

Oh, hang on, you use your 'phone as your Navigation device, don't you?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Well then, I guess that it's a good thing that even if we're not allowed to touch our 'phones at all while riding/driving Pete, at least here in Oz we're still allowed to touch a dedictated GPS &/or our CB type radios!

Yes and I don’t have to touch it to change the route. I’ve never had to play with my CB while riding either. I fail to understand why anyone would spend more money in a stand-alone GPS when they have a smartphone that can do the same thing but much faster. The phone can navigate, track, play music, monitor tire pressure, communicate with others, etc.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Mine plays music inside the helmet from a $30 MP3 player in the tank bag.

It is tiny........ about the size of a large match box. Holds thousands of songs on a 32 gig mini-SD chip.
    This is what my wife uses. I don't listen to tunes while riding and the phone is in the trunk. I'm not interested in being "connected" to anything or anyone when I ride. Not very interested when not riding either. Not knocking technology, I think it's great. I just choose to limit my exposure to it especially on the road.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Yes and I don’t have to touch it to change the route. I’ve never had to play with my CB while riding either. I fail to understand why anyone would spend more money in a stand-alone GPS when they have a smartphone that can do the same thing but much faster. The phone can navigate, track, play music, monitor tire pressure, communicate with others, etc.
    Flamewinger, surely you can’t believe that fiddling with your joystick, while checking your BRP screen to make sure it is where you want it to be is any less distracting than someone pressing a couple of buttons on their Garmin XT…I, personally, would NEVER look to make route changes while riding, as it appears you do, so that isn’t an issue….…p.s. I, and others, have ZERO issues using Siri to work my music changes. It works first time, every time……so finding it “hard to believe” is not a valid assumption.…and I never make calls when underway either.

Pete

The Garmin XT is worth it for ease of connection and the large screen alone. Turn on Spyder, turn on headset, GO, unlike the BRP Go connection routine.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

I’m not sure what makes you think that, Peter? No, I use my Garmin XT for navigation. Phones aren’t quite up to that XT standard yet on a bike……..But then, I always pull over to make GPS route changes anyway as it is much safer for EVERYONE.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.