Spyder Garage

Default Why did BRP remove the turn signals from the mirrors on the 2020 & up RT ?

It doesn't make sense why BRP would remove the turn signals from the 2020 & up RT models. I think they created a safety issue with 2020 & up model years. I am looking into what to do on our 2022 RTL as I think it needs to have them to be more visible to others. What are the best options out there ? Has anyone just used the stock BRP 2010 / 2019 signals on theirs ?
    2022 Spyder RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

value accessories big bike parts #41-206a 160.60 i have installed a few for friend works very well

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

they're on the front fenders
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-31-2023 at 04:40 PM. Reason: there - they're ;-)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Turning Signals

...Just because that's how they do it now.
    I agree with you that they did the wrong thing. But as they must've said, we needed to make a few changes. So that is what they came up with on the Spyders.
    So I just live and learn. Then I sit down and be quiet.
    It is the best way to handle the situation.

Stay Healthy. ....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-31-2023 at 04:44 PM. Reason: must've & I x 2 ;-)
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

You can mount some run/turn LED's along the outside edge of the mirror. I like this option because it lets drivers see my turn signal from the side view easier. You can also see if you inadvertently left your turn signal on.

Lamont and Spyderpops sell them, https://www.lamonstergarage.com/2020...ded-lamonster/
    Last edited by YIRYDE; 01-31-2023 at 03:45 PM.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Yes, it is interesting. We still have them in Oz, but they didn’t let us have the brake light at the top of the top box, which is odd in itself, as Aussie cars MUST have the brake light at the top of their rear window. Our “leaders” work in mysterious ways

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Why did BRP remove the turn signals from the mirrors on the 2020 & up RT ?

Because somewhere in the process $$$ was saved on production costs.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yes, it is interesting. We still have them in Oz, but they didn’t let us have the brake light at the top of the top box, which is odd in itself, as Aussie cars MUST have the brake light at the top of their rear window. Our “leaders” work in mysterious ways

Pete
    Thats very interesting that you still have them in OZ, I wonder if there are wires there to connect them on the USA models. Would also like to know if you can order those OEM signals here in the US
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    Thats very interesting that you still have them in OZ, I wonder if there are wires there to connect them on the USA models. Would also like to know if you can order those OEM signals here in the US
    You wonder?? If you have a bit of a search, I'm pretty sure that there's been at least a couple of members reporting here on the Forum that the wiring IS there; that they've managed to convince their dealer to order/get the Aus/EU Spec Mirror Backs with Lights included for them; that they've installed them; and that they are working fine!

I'll have a bit of look later, once I'm not quite so busy, but for now, I'm pretty sure we've seen the reports.

Pete
    Similarly Pete, I reckon there's been at least one member on OzSpyderRyders who's acquired & fitted that middle/high Rear Brake Light that the US Spec Spyders get, and that it's working fine!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-31-2023 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Fixed 2nd quote display ;-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You wonder?? If you have a bit of a search, I'm pretty sure that there's been at least a couple of members reporting here on the Forum that the wiring IS there; that they've managed to convince their dealer to order/get the Aus/EU Spec Mirror Backs with Lights included for them; that they've installed them; and that they are working fine!

I'll have a bit of look later, once I'm not quite so busy, but for now, I'm pretty sure we've seen the reports.
    Thats good news, I will look into this when I get a chance to do the searching for that info, Not able to do it today.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

I found the thread with part #'s and a video if anyone else is interested. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...+signal+lights
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Why did BRP remove the turn signals from the mirrors on the 2020 & up RT ?

Because somewhere in the process $$$ was saved on production costs.
    More likely National design rule changes, Navydad. As I said above, we still have them in Australia

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Similarly Pete, I reckon there's been at least one member on OzSpyderRyders who's acquired & fitted that middle/high Rear Brake Light that the US Spec Spyders get, and that it's working fine!
    Yeah, I’m one of them, Peter. I can’t work out why ADR wouldn’t want the higher brake light. Those lower ones are hard to see. Oh Well

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    You can mount some run/turn LED's along the outside edge of the mirror. I like this option because it lets drivers see my turn signal from the side view easier. You can also see if you inadvertently left your turn signal on.

Lamont and Spyderpops sell them, https://www.lamonstergarage.com/2020...ded-lamonster/
    x 2 We have mirror lights and vent lights which flash when the turn signals are activated. They were installed on both our 2019 and 2020 F3L. Spyderpops did one and Lamont did the other install for us.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-31-2023 at 08:10 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I really appreciate it, it was ugly as hell

Spyder Garage

The only thing I have left to confirm is, if those wires are 100% on the 2022 RT USA models and their location.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Pete
    would you be interested in sourcing part numbers for us Americans. i bet it would be plug and play, there are so many dead end plugs it makes me wonder what suppose to be there.

I should continue reading before making a comment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    would you be interested in sourcing part numbers for us Americans.
    I provided a link to another thread in post #11 that has the part numbers. The left is # 710006197 The Right is # 710006198

https://www.canampartshouse.com/oemp...arch=710006198
    Last edited by USAF; 02-01-2023 at 10:48 AM.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Putting the turn signals on the fenders is fine. But I don't see what it would hurt to have them in both locations. Visibility is huge on a motorcycle. Lights on the mirrors are more noticeable than on the fenders. Especially from the front where people usually cut left across your lane.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Putting the turn signals on the fenders is fine. But I don't see what it would hurt to have them in both locations. Visibility is huge on a motorcycle. Lights on the mirrors are more noticeable than on the fenders. Especially from the front where people usually cut left across your lane.
    I agree, With the flashers on the fenders is low and out of site for some vehicles IMO, Up on the mirrors also improves visibility greatly.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree, With the flashers on the fenders is low and out of site for some vehicles IMO, Up on the mirrors also improves visibility greatly.
    I think it was just one of the cost cutting measures that BRP did in 2019. It even shows up in the fact that the fenders themselves look cheaper with the one piece molded design instead of the 2 pieces (although some like it better). It also shows up in the fact that the rear reflector on those fenders look more like a sticker than anything else on the newer models. But I guess it is one of the things that I will be living with.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I completely agree with what Ron said above about visibility being so critical a motorcycle, or in this case, the Spyder. I noted this last summer seeing my son making an oncoming turn on my 2021RTL. It was in bright sunlight and while he had the turn signals on, the fender-mounted front turn signal was quite difficult to see. I suspect it was be equally difficult to see if riding at night with a set of low mounted fog lights too. They would totally overpower the fender-mounted front signals just like bright sunlight does in the daytime. I think the lack of a high, mirror-mounted turn signal on the 2020+RTs is a safety concern as they are so difficult to see under some driving conditions.

I will be adding a pair of the Amber LED Mirror Mounted Turn Signals plus Running Lights from Show Chrome before riding season. They look good and add a second front turn signal function that is mounted high in a much better area for visibility.

I truly don't know what CanAm was thinking with the low, fender-mounted front signals...other than cutting costs.

Thanks
    Rod

Spyder Garage

The only thing I have left to confirm is, if those wires are 100% on the 2022 RT USA models and their location.
    So have you verified the wires and location?
    2021 RT Limited Asphalt Gray
    Halo Skid
    Driver's backrest
    2" riser w/ F3 standard handlebars
    F4 vented 25" windshield

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post

I love that it’s plug and play. Something my limited skills can actually do myself. My next upgrade for sure.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black