Spyder Garage

Default 2021 F3-S, VSS Fault at Startup

Hey all,
    Haven't posted here much lately. I've got mere 1300 miles on my 2021 F3-S. Recently did the oil change (drained from the wrong hole (again!). I finally ended-up making a note in the maintenance schedule which of the bolts is the actual oil drain. F3 oil filter is pure robbery for what it costs.

Needless to say, the past few times I've started her, VSS Fault appeared on the display for a few seconds, after which it went away.

I'm hesitant to bring this in for a scan at the dealership, as it'll likely turn out to be a whole lotta nothing.

But I thought I'd ask here if anyone has had a similar experience.

My guess, a bad sensor that's part of the VSS system is reporting out of range data, or has just gone bad?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nycgordonf View Post
    Hey all,
    Haven't posted here much lately. I've got mere 1300 miles on my 2021 F3-S. Recently did the oil change (drained from the wrong hole (again!). I finally ended-up making a note in the maintenance schedule which of the bolts is the actual oil drain. F3 oil filter is pure robbery for what it costs.

Needless to say, the past few times I've started her, VSS Fault appeared on the display for a few seconds, after which it went away.

I'm hesitant to bring this in for a scan at the dealership, as it'll likely turn out to be a whole lotta nothing.

My guess, a bad sensor that's part of the VSS system is reporting out of range data, or has just gone bad?
    MY experience with Spyders and auto computers (for code faults) is that if the faults go away on their own, they aren't real! ..... Or if you can cancel it and it doesn't come back on immediately, it's not likely to be an issue ..... CanAm has systems that over-lap each other (which makes diagnosis difficult)..... PS, you have the 1330 engine, and it has TWO oil drains, BOTH need to be emptied ..... Good Luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-31-2023 at 04:37 PM. Reason: ' 's & Caps ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nycgordonf View Post
    Hey all,

I have a "22 RTL, and every now and then the same thing happens to me. Usually on the first time I start it for the day. It turns over a bit slow, then fires up. Then the VSS fault pops up. I was going to mention it when I do my first maintenance.
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

low voltage is the cause

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    low voltage is the cause
    This has happened to our 2022 RTL several times also. Must be bad batch of batteries in these things as I have heard this a lot. I am going to have the dealer look into it this spring when it comes back out.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-31-2023 at 04:38 PM.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup. Low voltage. Mine does it when I haven't ridden it in awhile and the battery is slightly discharged.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Ah, thanks gentlemen. I haven't ridden in about two months. Let me hook-up a battery tender and top off the battery.

@BLUEKNIGHT911 >> Two oil drain plugs it is! I'll remember that next time.