Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Help me decide on Directional vs Regular Tread Tires?

Directional vs Regular tread? I want to replace my OEM tires soon, only 3000 miles on them, but I think they are crap!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R5QT&tab=Sizes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5QT5&tab=Sizes
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-30-2023 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

The first option is what I prefer!
    0311171A-E89D-4009-8A8D-D471F1FC394A.jpg

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fredgal View Post
    Directional vs Regular tread? I want to replace my OEM tires soon, only 3000 miles on them, but I think they are crap!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5QT5&tab=Sizes
    I've done a bit of research on this topic, and any gains from " directional " tires are minimal at best. To me, in reality it's more of an advertising gimmick than an actual improvement in tire performance..... Personally I like the Vredestein Brand, From my research on tires , they consistently produce a great product .... even in tires that don't come in sizes that we can use ...... JMHO ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I agree with the 1st option (Quadtrac). They stick better than the General Altmax - especially in the colder temps.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Either tire is going to give you excellent service. Especially compared to the OEM tires.

Though the 155/60r15 is the same diameter as the OEM 165/55r15. It is a fair amount narrower. How much difference this will make is hard to say. But I would not be in favor of going with a narrower tire. That would be my deciding factor between these 2 tires.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-30-2023 at 07:43 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Either tire is going to give you excellent service. Especially compared to the OEM tires.

Though the 155/60r15 is the same diameter as the OEM 165/55r15. It is a fair amount narrower. How much difference this will make is hard to say. But I would not be in favor of going with a narrower tire. That would my deciding factor between these 2 tires.
    whats the better option. 2020 F3L..thanks.. would like a slightly larger tire. ? but with no rubbing,,
    Last edited by fredgal; 01-30-2023 at 03:24 PM.
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BK and Ron will give you the best advice you can find. As far as directional goes, most of us don't don't weigh that much or go that fast in the rain to make that much of a difference. Driving safely to begin with give you the best traction.

Spyder Garage

whats the better option. 2020 F3L..thanks.. would like a slightly larger tire. ? but with no rubbing,,
    fredgal, that 155/50R15 QUATRAC 5 you show as your 2nd option is narrower than the 165 wide OEM tire; so while a QUATRAC 5 might be a good choice for you, choosing a 155 wide tire instead of the standard OEM width of 165 or even a slightly wider tire of 175 is very likely NOT really such a great idea!

Sure, there might not be much in it, but I think you'd be quite surprised at the difference that little bit of lesser tread contact patch could make to your Spyder's ride & handling - and I doubt very much that anything about it would be seen/felt as an improvement too! Well, not unless maybe you only ever ride on slick &/or icy surfaces at such a slow speed that the increased harshness in the ride wouldn't negate any small gains that you might get in traction from a narrower tire tread possibly cutting into the surface more in those conditions?!

Me personally, I'd never willingly opt to put a tire ONLY 155 wide on the front of my Spyder, but I have found that going a little wider than the OEM 165 size & choosing a 175 wide front tire can provide some additional handling, wear, and ride comfort benefits on our (fairly rough & broken atm ) Ozzie roads & highways; maybe you would find similar over there?? So while I'd generally agree with everyone else in saying that either a Directional or Standard tread tire Type should be suitable for your use, I'd strongly agree with those who suggest that you DO NOT choose a tire size that's any narrower than the OEM 165 tires!

Given that caveat, I'd reckon that either of those tires would work well for you, and I'd expect that they'd both certainly work better than those OEM 'barely an excuse' for tires!

Over to you!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

We have been installing 175/55r15. They are a tighter fit but they will clear the fender. They look very mean as they fill up the void nicely. But the 165/55r15 is also a good choice.

Spyder Garage

175/55/15
    These wheels are 1/4 wider than stock and with 175/55/15’s mounted there is no rubbing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Each Day is a Gift

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am assuming you are talking of fitting directional tyres to the front. The rear is not a good idea - remember your high-school physics.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    I am assuming you are talking of fitting directional tyres to the front. The rear is not a good idea - remember your high-school physics.
    Help me out ..... what exactly do think will happen if you mount a directional tire on the rear of a Spyder ??????? ... Thanks .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post

175/55/15
    These wheels are 1/4 wider than stock and with 175/55/15’s mounted there is no rubbing.
    you have after market wheels ? im leaning towards the 175/55/15's.

thanks all for your input.
    Last edited by fredgal; 01-31-2023 at 05:27 AM.
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

I live where the annual rainfall is about 100 days per year. The first thing I look at with tires is will they throw water out the sides. Any of them work when it is dry. For where I live the tires that help with hydroplaning are the first consideration.

Not everybody lives in the wet zones. Choose the tires for the area you will do most of the riding in. Different tires for different conditions.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Directional tires work great on the rear of the Spyder. The OEM tire is directional. It's junk, but not because of the tread pattern. What did they teach us in high-school physics that would indicate otherwise? I must have missed that class! Probably, I missed a lot in high school...

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I live where the annual rainfall is about 100 days per year. The first thing I look at with tires is will they throw water out the sides. Any of them work when it is dry. For where I live the tires that help with hydroplaning are the first consideration.

Not everybody lives in the wet zones. Choose the tires for the area you will do most of the riding in. Different tires for different conditions.
    I agree, to a point. I have customers who tell me they never ride in the rain. My feeling is, never is a very long time. There are few riders who have never been caught out in the rain at one time or another. Most any decent tire will do well in the dry, including a good, wet capable tire. If you only need protection from hydroplaning once in your life. I'd say it would be well worth having that ability. Even if you never needed it. How often do you pay for insurance that you never used?

You don't have to get a directional tire to get good wet traction. There are a few non-directional tires that come close to equal wet performance.

Just putting my 2 cents in for a rain worthy tire. It won't cost you any more. And it's always there if needed.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-31-2023 at 10:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

Just MY opinion, have ridden through over a dozen states in all kinds of weather, road conditions, speed etc., in last two years with OEM tires. I ride in all weather and conditions including heavy rain conditions( followed snow plow across Rockies one time). Have not had any issues with bike tires.

Spyder Garage

Having run many miles on both the Quatrac and Quatrac 5 on the back and Quatrac 5's on the front I can say without a doubt they work well in the rain. And we get plenty of opportunities to try them out here in Mississippi.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    Just MY opinion, have ridden through over a dozen states in all kinds of weather, road conditions, speed etc., in last two years with OEM tires. I ride in all weather and conditions including heavy rain conditions( followed snow plow across Rockies one time). Have not had any issues with bike tires.
    There is nothing wrong with the tread pattern or rubber compound on the OEM tires. If the tire is round (which they often are not) they will run fine. At highway speeds, you only have about 3" of contact patch at the rear wheel because the OEM tire is built too weak to hold shape and balloons out in the middle. Harder to hydroplane on that narrow a surface. With a car tire, you're going to get 100% tire width contact all the time. So, more important to get a wet capable tire.

Spyder Garage

well i can safely say, i never ride in the rain, dont ride at night, 12 yrs on my 1500 vulcan, only got caught once in the rain, this is 3rd yr. with my spyder. no rain yet.. i am fair weather rider,, what non directional tire would you recommend.. BAJA Ron..thanks all.......
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post

175/55/15
    Same wheel and tire. Who copied who. They stick like glue in corners.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

you have after market wheels ? im leaning towards the 175/55/15's.

thanks all for your input.
    Yes, PPA wheels. This size will work great!

Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

It will be interesting to see how these asymmetrics go……just installed yesterday…… 165/60

https://www.goodyear.com.au/tyres/go...agrip-529521-p

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Help me out ..... what exactly do think will happen if you mount a directional tire on the rear of a Spyder ??????? ... Thanks .... Mike
    Sorry guys - I had what we call here in Aus "a brain fart" I meant Assym tyres.

Assymetrical tyre pattern which has a bias when it directs water. I have seen a few with Assym's on their rear and shudder at the thought.

AssymTyre.JPG
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    It will be interesting to see how these asymmetrics go……just installed yesterday…… 165/60

https://www.goodyear.com.au/tyres/go...agrip-529521-p

Pete
    Pete, I can't comment on that particular tire ..... it appears they arn't sold in the U.S. ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ha. How about a non directional tyre to add to the mix?

These are available here in NZ and I popped them on my Spyder and they fit without problems with clearance.

Preform exceedingly well in my opinion.

ku 31 1 20220615_154655.jpg ku31 2 20220615_155627.jpg