Spyder Garage

Hi TJ,

Just sent you a PM, anyone that wants info can PM me,

Thanks,
    TC
    2022 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK, TJ, I see TC Boone has you covered, if I can help any further, let me know.

Spyder Garage

How are the Safety Mods secured to the Spyder? Can they be removed? In case I decide to get a new Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-19-2023 at 01:05 PM.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    How are the Safety Mods secured to the Spyder? Can they be removed? In case I decide to get a new Spyder.
    Hi Dean,

The signal button snaps on in the same manner as the OEM part, with a click and can be removed by gently prying it off. The shifter pad is secured with 3M adhesive tape and can also be removed. The mods on my Spyder will stay with it, the cost is small for new parts and the new owner will get the advantage of the mods too.

Hope this helps,
    TC
    Last edited by TCBoone; 02-24-2023 at 01:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have just installed both the button and the shifter pad. It was a piece of cake.

I just slowly pulled-off the button with the assistance of a small flat screwdriver below the button.

You will notice that the button's pin receptacle is at the bottom of the button. Just push the new button in place with the pin receptacle at the bottom and it will fit perfectly.

In order to ensure that the shifter pad adhesive hold correctly to the shifter button, I used an alcohol swab to clean the shifter button first.

Let the button dry or wipe dry. Then just peel the adhesive off the back of the pad and apply carefully on the shifter button.

Voila!

I have not taken my Spyder out yet due to the snow, but did try the new flasher button and I like it a lot.

Thank you very much to both TC and Dave for the excellent mod!

Flash Mod 1.jpg Flash Mod 2.jpg Flash Mod 3.jpg Flash Mod 4.jpg Flash Mod 5.jpg
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Frog, what could be easier? Got the turn signal mod coming, had a really good conversation with Dave, a nice guy.

Spyder Garage

TC is the best. One straight up dude. Got mine last week and the ergo difference is quite noticeable. Bravo!
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

My .02:

I PM'd TC, and he responded with details almost immediately. I sent my request in on Friday and had them in my hand today.

Both the turn signal button and the shifter spacer fit perfectly and work well.

Hats off to all involved.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2023 at 04:53 PM. Reason: .

Spyder Garage

It looks cool I have been the guy that accidentally signals left while turning off the right signal.
    2016 F3-T

Places I've ridden.

Spyder Garage

Arrived in mail. 5 minutes to install including time spent getting screwdriver. 10 minutes riding around parking lot trying signal / cancel combinations. All I can say is Not one missed cancel.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Got mine the other day. Installation was easy-peasy and quick. Rode 108 miles yesterday.. some of it in a congested traffic area with several turns.. it worked like a champ.. first time, every time!! Showed it off to other Spyder riders in the group… now they want one too.
    Thank you, thank you for this little improvement that made a BIG difference!!
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got mine today, like most here, very satisfied. A simple but excellent mod, super easy to install. Couldn't wait to do a run. Easy left or right turn feel, but the best is canceling for the lane change. The large thumb surface make it a successful cancellation every time.

Spyder Garage

Received my turn signal indicator and shift pad today. Excellent products and fast getting them here. It is nice to know that some of our Spyder members will take it upon themselves to improve a BRP part. Kudos to TCBoone and FrogmanDave.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2023 at 08:47 PM.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Added the Turn Signal cap and the Shifter pad Friday night and took a 200 mile+ group ride Saturday. Very satisfactory results. Only had a couple of Turn Signals not cancelling but the wider flat switch was easy to find without looking. And the shift pad is no-brainer! After the ride my left thumb is NOT sore! These two simple items should be standard design improvements and incorporated by BRP. GET BOTH OF THESE FOR YOUR SPYDER.

Spyder Garage

Got the shifter pad installed and rode to work this morning. Straight up, easy to install (I did the turn indicator previously), both of these additions make the ride much better. I will recommend them to anyone who will listen.

Also appreciated is the time Dave took to develop these simple, yet difference-making pieces, and on top of that, offering them to the rest of us! I think that is where the magic really is, helping each other out, and I for one am thankful for it.

Cheers, and ride safe!
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

I just got around to installing the signal button and the shifter pad... Signal button works like a charm... Shifter pad....well I'll have to use it more to see if it does anything for me... I guess I never had a problem with the shifter as it is... It Does Hide The Big White "+" sign on the paddle so That's a PLUS...lol

Thanks FrogmanDave and TCBoone for Fixing "MY" problem with the signal knob
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

I got my signal buttons yesterday. Installed them on my F3-T and my wife's RT-L. I used long nose pliers to remove the old signal buttons. It only took a gentle tug, and they came right off. I put the new buttons on and the difference is noticeable and immediate. I didn't even tell my wife what I had done. I made her guess. After a couple minutes fiddling with the controls, she stopped suddenly and said how much better the turn signal button was. I think we are gonna ride a bit tomorrow and I am looking forward to experiencing easier turn signals. It's amazing how a small thing makes a big difference.

20230310_164409.jpg 20230310_164419.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-10-2023 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)
    2016 F3-T

Places I've ridden.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TCBoone View Post
    UPDATED See Below

Riding two up in traffic on multi lane streets is a regular routine at least for part of our rides. Of course, there is the lane change that requires a turn signal and then a manual cancel. Doing this while focusing on the traffic around us made it less than ideal to have to monitor the dash signal to see if the cancel was successful. Which all too often would revert to the opposite direction. Causing me to divert my attention toward the “blinker button” so I could stop the back and forth signaling and end the confusing signals traffic to our rear were seeing. (Yes, I know, I was that guy …)

Ok, maybe you have been riding for years and have never had this problem, I never have either while riding a number of two wheelers. The design of the stock BRP blinker button has a small flat spot and angled sides making it an issue for a large, gloved hand like mine to execute a straight-in push. Maybe some have better muscle memory and get the job done without a second thought, great!

I found a perfect solution for me, replace the stock part with a better design. One that allows a push that does not deflect to one side or another when all you want to do is cancel the turn signal. This is a very small and seemingly insignificant upgrade but for my wife and I who really enjoy our time riding, having fewer distractions provides a safer experience and is for us a worthwhile upgrade.

The first photo shows the original part with a small area required for a straight-in push to cancel; any contact with this button that is slightly off-center triggers the turn signal, usually in the opposite direction, instead of turning it off.

The second photo is of the replacement blinker button with a larger flat spot that is easy to find without taking my eyes off the road and cancels correctly every time.

I suspect there are some who consider this trivial, but when your attention is diverted it needs to be for a good reason and only briefly, not for a design flaw. Let us know have you ever experienced this problem?

For more information please send me a PM, Thanks

Update - Shifter Pad

Installed the shifter pad and went for a ride on one of our favorite routes here in northern California. You know the kind that has a mix of tight and long sweeping turns along with lots of frequent elevation change. The kind of road that encourages spirited riding, requiring one to shift up and down the gears to keep the Spyder in its peak power band.

During the ride I noticed my left hand was in a more relaxed position. The added thickness of the up-shifter pad allows the thumb to reach the control to upshift from a less extended reach. Anytime we engage in a repeat motion, designing better ergonomics makes a difference, especially over time.

BRP builds beautiful machines, that has been improved upon over the years, some of those improvements most likely have come from owners. While the mods we are trying out are only slight changes, they are definite improvements and something that Can Am On Road should consider for their new production models.

Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback about these mods. Appreciate this forum to be able to share these ideas along with each comment and kind words.

Thank you for reading and posting,

TC

I just did a fairly long ride with my new shift pad. I really like it. Well done job in design.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captcharles View Post
    I just did a fairly long ride with my new shift pad. I really like it. Well done job in design.
    Agree design is an improvement, we have FrogmanDave to thank for these mods!

Spyder Garage

Well I just added the Turn single button to my 2021 Sea to sky. and I love it. It does cure or those false turn single movements when you are trying it turn it off.

I like it so well I just asked for the shifter pad too.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2023 at 04:54 PM. Reason: .

Spyder Garage

After riding two wheelers for years, last summer we became owners of a Spyder RTL. It has been an excellent move at this stage, giving us the opportunity to hopefully ride for many more years.

As detailed in the first post of this thread, with large gloved hands I was challenged to manually cancel the turn signal.

After searching this forum and finding the issue was mentioned a few times, I continued to search and connected with a fellow member here on the SL forum. He is a former aeronautical engineer who redesigned and manufactured a replacement OEM turn signal button and a modification to the up-shifter pad that fits all Spyders.

He sent me his custom manufactured parts and they turned out to be a real solution to the problem. It seemed only fitting to share this with the members here who I assumed a few must be experiencing the same distraction. As it turns out, by the responses many of you do.

There has been an issue with this dating back to at least 2009, judging by this complaint filed with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) at the end of 2009 concerning the 2010 Spyder RT.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Can-a...roblems/886119

If you want more information about the redesigned parts, please send me a PM. Appreciate each of you who have taken the time to post your feedback, Thank you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2023 at 04:55 PM. Reason: .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TCBoone View Post
    Agree design is an improvement, we have FrogmanDave to thank for these mods!
    Waiting to see "Frogman Dave" on "Shark Tank"!. "He Da Man"!
    I'm proud to be using these mods..........Bill

Now I have a to worry about, "Someone STEALING my Blinker Button"!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2023 at 04:56 PM. Reason: .
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

When I first started ryding back in 2015 I was only able to cancel the turn signal correctly 60 to 70% of the time. I complained on this forum but was met with "well you are not doing it correctly, push it start in" I gave up bitching about it.

As Paul Harvey used to say now for the rest of the story. In my travels to Michigan I hit heavy rain ryding and camping. The rain caused the up shifting to be VERY flaky. Had to hit the up shift several times for it to work. I stopped at Johnson Creek, WI for a rally. I went to Rob's Performance Motorsports while there to see if they could fix the problem. They replaced the entire left hand module. That fixed the up shifting problem AND helped with the canceling of the turn signal. I went up to 90 to 95% success at canceling. There seems to be a slight difference in the production of the button or the mechanism below.

I took a 60 mile ryde yesterday (highway and town) . I did not have any problems so 100% success.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Default Redesigned Turn Signal Button

After spending yesterday riding, the small redesigned button that we use to activate our turn signal still impresses me. Canceling the signal after a lane change every time is now routine. Not something I was able to reliably do with the OEM part.

The 3D printed redesign with a larger top and grooved sides allows me to quickly activate and cancel the turn signal without taking my eyes off the road ahead.

This is an important safety upgrade! Please PM me for additional info.

Last edited by TCBoone; 03-21-2023 at 10:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

I installed the new button a few weeks ago. It is a great improvement in fit, form, and function.
    Thank You to TCBoone and Frogman Dave.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack