Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TCBoone View Post
    UPDATED See Below

Riding two up in traffic on multi lane streets is a regular routine at least for part of our rides. Of course, there is the lane change that requires a turn signal and then a manual cancel. Doing this while focusing on the traffic around us made it less than ideal to have to monitor the dash signal to see if the cancel was successful. Which all too often would revert to the opposite direction. Causing me to divert my attention toward the “blinker button” so I could stop the back and forth signaling and end the confusing signals traffic to our rear were seeing. (Yes, I know, I was that guy …)

Ok, maybe you have been riding for years and have never had this problem, I never have either while riding a number of two wheelers. The design of the stock BRP blinker button has a small flat spot and angled sides making it an issue for a large, gloved hand like mine to execute a straight-in push. Maybe some have better muscle memory and get the job done without a second thought, great!

I found a perfect solution for me, replace the stock part with a better design. One that allows a push that does not deflect to one side or another when all you want to do is cancel the turn signal. This is a very small and seemingly insignificant upgrade but for my wife and I who really enjoy our time riding, having fewer distractions provides a safer experience and is for us a worthwhile upgrade.

The first photo shows the original part with a small area required for a straight-in push to cancel; any contact with this button that is slightly off-center triggers the turn signal, usually in the opposite direction, instead of turning it off.

The second photo is of the replacement blinker button with a larger flat spot that is easy to find without taking my eyes off the road and cancels correctly every time.

I suspect there are some who consider this trivial, but when your attention is diverted it needs to be for a good reason and only briefly, not for a design flaw. Let us know have you ever experienced this problem?

For more information please send me a PM, Thanks

Update - Shifter Pad

Installed the shifter pad and went for a ride on one of our favorite routes here in northern California. You know the kind that has a mix of tight and long sweeping turns along with lots of frequent elevation change. The kind of road that encourages spirited riding, requiring one to shift up and down the gears to keep the Spyder in its peak power band.

During the ride I noticed my left hand was in a more relaxed position. The added thickness of the up-shifter pad allows the thumb to reach the control to upshift from a less extended reach. Anytime we engage in a repeat motion, designing better ergonomics makes a difference, especially over time.

BRP builds beautiful machines, that has been improved upon over the years, some of those improvements most likely have come from owners. While the mods we are trying out are only slight changes, they are definite improvements and something that Can Am On Road should consider for their new production models.

Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback about these mods. Appreciate this forum to be able to share these ideas along with each comment and kind words.

Thank you for reading and posting,

TC

it has happened to me many many many times yes.... soooo did you Make a better button ??? or just buy it somewhere???
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Hi Sledge,

Sent you a PM

TC

Spyder Garage

Wiz pop pop.

I have one, and a few spares to hand on to some mates as well.

Its Majic for my damaged thumb with no movement in the last joint.

b 2 20230324_133504.jpgb 1 20230324_133812.jpg

Thanks TC.

Spyder Garage

I got the turn signal and the shifter pad. Love love love these. The signal button is so much better. I have a smaller hand so now I can rest my fingers on both up and down shifters while I ride. Highly recommend these. At least get the turn signal button and try it. Good products and shipping is quick. Very nice guy making these.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2023 at 08:49 PM. Reason: got ;-)

Spyder Garage

Received my button several weeks ago and finally got out for a ride yesterday. Switch works as designed.....every single time!

Thanks,
    Charlie

Spyder Garage

I also received the turn/shift button last week. Worked as advertised, what a terrific idea! All turn signal buttons should be designed like these. Thanks TC and Frogman Dave. Pics of my old mod and Dave's super pads. The 'dot' on horn is a plastic cabinet door bumper which has solved my problem of missing the horn button. Now I hit it easy just by feel.

IMG_3856.jpg IMG_3869.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2023 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Darth ‘Nid like how you modified your horn button. Your door bumper solution has the wheels turning!

Amazing how something so simple can make a big difference.

Great idea, thanks for posting.

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just installed these on my bike. Haven't had the chance to try them out yet (too windy and cold), but from what everyone has said, it's mod that is elegantly simple and makes a huge difference.

Thanks to TCBoone and frogmandave on the invention of these ingenious devices.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

I have replaced my turn sig with one and absolutely love it; much easier to feel with gloves on.

FrogManDave: Can you make one for the Cruise Ct? Thats something I use all the time would like a more positive feeling button if its possible.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

This seems awesome. Always annoyed me too. (I miss my old Harley left/right signal switches.

Replying here so it will allow me to send a PM.

Spyder Garage

As mentioned before in this thread the issue some of us have with the turn signal button is nothing new. Below is the description of a complaint submitted to the NHTSA on October 10, 2011.

When attempting to cancel turn signals (left or right), it is very likely that the opposite turn signal will be activated rather than canceling.

This causes the driver to have to check the dash for turn signal cancellation. It is common to have this occur multiple times with each cancellation attempt, causing the turn signals to alternate left & then right multiple times all while trying to cancel it. Several attempts and several seconds of the driver's attention is often required to successfully cancel turn signals.

This presents a safety hazard as the driver is not watching the road and traffic and also because the driver is sending confusing signals of his/her intent to other drivers.

This problem happens at any speed or while stopped. This problem can occur with every attempt to cancel the turn signal. This problem seems to be worse while wearing gloves.

https://www.aboutautomobile.com/Cons...er-RT/10429271
    Last edited by TCBoone; 04-05-2023 at 09:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Oh. My. Gosh.

I asked for one of these turn signal buttons and it is flippin' fantastic. (See what I did there?)

My new favorite cheap mod. Awesome. Thanks so much FrogManDave!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2023 at 08:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Got mine too, Works great !!
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

A thank you goes out to each one of you who have responded with your personal feedback.

This set of mods that solves an issue with the hand controls has been further enabled by all of your positive responses.

To those of you who have sent me a PM, remember to also check your PM’s manually for a reply, depending on how your setup functions and is configured you may not get a notification.

Ride safe,
    TC
    2022 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

Spyder Garage

Default Updated Shifter Pad version 2.0

This re-designed shifter pad creates a better angle of control for the thumb to press the shifter in a more efficient movement.

The small change of angle in the direction the thumb moves to activate the up shifts,

creates an easier shift for those of us who have some reduced function in our left thumb.

Thanks to the members who provided feedback that prompted this upgrade.

Photos show the upgraded thickness along the bottom that creates the improved upward facing angle.

Spyder Garage

I got one and every time i ride i am thankful to y'all

Spyder Garage

Hello TC,
    Thanks for the assist! Glad to know we have the same tastes! I love the color, and I get compliments all of the time here around the Houston area.
    2020 Spyder RT Limited
    Deep Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Did my upgrade yesterday for both the blinker button and the paddle extender. Didn't have a chance to get out but just by playing around with the upgrade, I know I'm going to like it.. a lot.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Here is a link to an SL thread by Peacekeeper6 who has a long running thread detailing all the many fine mods he has done to his Spyder over the last several years.

Grab your favorite beverage and go check it out if you have not read it yet.

His feedback on the Turn Signal Button & Shifter Pad is detailed and unique, worth a read if you are looking for more info. (#104 & #105)

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...d-Thread/page5
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-19-2023 at 01:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

TC, Thanks for starting this thread, I got both the mods installed on my '18 RTL today and love, love, love, them Here's a pic of both installed.
    20230419_112938.jpg
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two2Three View Post
    I miss my old Harley left/right signal switches.
    Me too!!!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

TC and Frogman Dave, Thanks for creating this product. This is my second go round. Shipping was incredibly fast. I got both the mods installed on my '16 F3T today and absolutely love them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2023 at 04:50 PM. Reason: .
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Took a ride on Friday and Sunday and I can tell you that this small modification has helped tremendously. I no longer have to look down to find the turn signal and my finger doesn't slip off of it. As for the thumb shift mod, again, a game changer. Very comfortable and easier to shift because the paddle is actually in the right spot now. Whoever at BRP that designed that entire cluster, must have had huge hands or long thumbs. Either way, it's not comfortable for average sized hands.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Definitely interested in the turn signal mod…I’ve ridden a few bikes over the past 20 years, and never had problems canceling the turn signals, like I do with the Spyder

Crisandria

Spyder Garage

Another happy user! with both the tabs and the service. The USPS lost the first shipment, but Dave didn't hesitate in sending another package. Thanks Dave!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2023 at 04:46 PM. Reason: user; tabs ;-)
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]