Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What is a good way of Talking To my Passenger - helmets or add-ons?

So it would be nice if my wife and I could talk back and forth. We’re not group riders. We just like to cruise through country roads. What would be a good way for us to be able to talk back and forth? Do we need helmets dedicated to the task? Or is there a good add-on that I could get for us? I don’t want a PTT button. I just want that one of us can talk and the other one hears it and can respond.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2023 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Spyder Garage

Sena is simple. Pair both and talk away with any helmet made weather it be theirs or another manufacture. Clip in the microphone and speakers and its set. Easy peezy! Not sure about the new 50’s but old 10,20 30 was intercom setting. Once paired click the button and never touch again just talk between the 2 of you. Hint Hint….If she gets off the restroom or you do at a gas station and walks into the restroom with the helmet on…….Turn the communication off Yes you hear everything! You can also do it from bike to back. If she rides seperate.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 01-26-2023 at 10:50 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena

...I have Sena 50s that I purchased from Motorcycle Dave's. Dave is a vendor on this Forum. Give him a call and see what he can do for you. His cell phone number is below

209-887-3282.
    California is where Dave lives.
    Remember the time difference between EST to PST is 3 hours.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

What Wmoater said. Sena is good, we had them previously. Now we are using Cardo, still on the fence about them, but they work good. Both have intercom, bluetooth, and bike to bike capability.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

We have an old Sena SMH 5 and it works just fine after all these years. Wore out a set of batteries, road in the rain. But they were easily replaceable. Still work perfectly.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Sena makes decent intercoms - several models to choose. One caution, they are not waterproof, only resistant. Riding in heavy rain kills the Sena 20s & 50s. Proven by a few of my riding crew. If that may be a situation you will encounter, look into the Cardo units that have been bulletproof in the rain.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

UCLEAR is another option. They are water proof also. We have kicked the crap out of ours over the years even submerged in mud and water and they just keep going. My opinion is UCLEAR has a better speaker system and much better sounding if listening to music but Sena is much more clear system for voices with intercom.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

There are a lot of BlueTooth-enabled units around. We have Schuberth helmets (not cheap, unfortunately, but fit us well) that have worked very well for us. The electronics are in a collar that attaches to the helmets that are USB-charged (a charge usually lasts all day for us). We got to Schuberth from our BMW days - they make the BMW System helmets. MotorcycleDave on this site can help with what you need if not Schuberth. With the addition of a bluetooth 'dongle' they also connect to the sound system on the Spyder.

Happy shopping!
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    ...I have Sena 50s that I purchased from Motorcycle Dave's. Dave is a vendor on this Forum. Give him a call and see what he can do for you. His cell phone number is below

209-887-3282.
    California is where Dave lives.
    Remember the time difference between EST to PST is 3 hours.

Stay Healthy. ....
    Check with Dave. Great to talk to. You don't need the latest and greatest and most expensive for what you want to accomplish.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Sena is a problem solver. Enables talk for person to person or bike to bike. Do make sure that whatever brand you use, get wireless ones. Wired together is not the way to go.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaniBoy View Post
    So it would be nice if my wife and I could talk back and forth. We’re not group riders. We just like to cruise through country roads. What would be a good way for us to be able to talk back and forth? Do we need helmets dedicated to the task? Or is there a good add-on that I could get for us? I don’t want a PTT button. I just want that one of us can talk and the other one hears it and can respond.
    Hi Dave here,
    Your friendly neighborhood SPYDER LOVERS DISCOUNT PRICE SENA DEALER... ( I also handle the CARDO) brand.
    Give me a call 209-887-3283 9:00AM to 8:00PM Daily Pacific time.
    We can talk about your needs and wants and get you the best unit for you and your wife.

NEW SENA LOGO.jpg
    Motorcycle Dave's LOGO #1.jpg

Spyder Garage

I have/use Sena 10S. It works OK. But every so often the pins on the back of the unit don't fully connect.

I use UClear Motion 6 Bluetooth helmet head audio system on my sled helmet, which I like alot, when I am riding with my significant other and one of us gets out of range from the other, "it says headset disconnected" and when the other person gets with in range the voice in the helmet says" headset connected. Also, it has new gesture controlled commends, and will allow full control of the system without the press of a button. Thick gloves? No problem! Up to 6 riders can be connected using the Motion 6's full duplex DynaMesh intercom. No matter the sport,the weatherproof Motion 6 will enhance your rides while delivering crystal clear communications and powerful music on any trail in any weather.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaniBoy View Post
    I’ll have to throw my hat into the ring for the Sena. I have the Sena SMH5. It’s a bit older model, but it’s served me well over the years. It’s always been rock solid except when I forget to charge it after coming back from a ride, but that’s my fault. When fully charged it will easily last me at least 8 hours. I purchased my Sena from a Cycle Gear shop here in town and they installed it in my helmet at no charge. I don't know if all shops do that, but mine did.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Cardo edge, we spend 13 hours long drive that i almost past away,music on all time, when arrived home still over 25% battery.

Spyder Garage

I never had any issue talking with a passenger and not having comms. Then again, I’m not the kind to be unnecessarily and constantly jabbering about things while driving any kind of vehicle. Traffic and changes in road surface are my main riding concern, not making small talk. I would suggest you give your voices a try before making this investment unless your riding partner is on a different motorcycle or maybe your the type that just likes gear?
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Cardo is hands down better than Sena. The reason Sena users choose Sena is because their riding buddies use it. Cardo Freecom 2+ is what you are looking for.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Cardo is hands down better than Sena. The reason Sena users choose Sena is because their riding buddies use it. Cardo Freecom 2+ is what you are looking for.
    +1 for Cardo Freecom 2 for you and your passenger. I went from the Sena 20S to the Cardo Paktalk Black and don't miss the Sena at all.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    UCLEAR is another option. They are water proof also. We have kicked the crap out of ours over the years even submerged in mud and water and they just keep going. My opinion is UCLEAR has a better speaker system and much better sounding if listening to music but Sena is much more clear system for voices with intercom.
    same hear love uclear
    2015 f3s

Spyder Garage

Sister in-law’s boy friend swears the wired system is the best.O wait he rides a Harley hmmmm. (Sorry Harley fans)
    2019 F3 Limited Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’ve used Sena, Uclear and Cardo and Cardo has way better sound and wind canceling compared to Sena. Uclear has better sound and the mikes go up in the forehead padding so there is not problem with winds.

Any dual set of headsets will come paired to each other and all you’ll need to do is install them in the helmets. Make sure the speakers are just under the padding and not buried deep as that muffles the sounds.

2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Sena user here. Have been riding 2 up for many years and having the Sena's on our helmets make the whole 2 up experience much more enjoyable. We initially tried a "wired" system and it was a pain. The Sena's are user friendly and can easily last all day on a single charge. Our first set lasted several years and we upgraded last year. I use the 10C with built-in camera and the wife uses the 10S. Works great for us.

Spyder Garage

Can't speak for the other systems, but Sena works great for my wife and me, and when my daughter rides with us on her bike.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I originally had Cardo's, changed to Sena's because of forum recommendations...Wish I'd stayed with the Cardo's...Thing I don't like about the Sena's is the delay when standing and talking when at a fuel stop...You can hear your passenger talking face to face before it comes thru the radios...So you hear double everything when talking face to face...larryd

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena 50

Just wanted to give my thoughts on the Sena 50. I have enjoyed the proformance of the Sena's. I don't like ryding in the rain, so no worries about that. As for delay issues at the gas stop never experienced any problems.
    Some people can have a problem with any kind of equipment.
    So far we have had excellent service with our Sena's.

Wireless is the only way to go. More freedom and no worries about the wires.
    Oh yeah, Remember to charge the Sena's battery.

Everything looks good. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I vote for Sena; however, any bluetooth unit(s) will work for you, even the less than $100.00 units. The benefit with Sena is that a lot of riders use them and if you get with person or persons with the Sena unit(s) you can hook into them as well. The SHM10R is a low profile unit and works well. Have the Shoei helmets with the integrated Sena units. Drawback - battery fails, can't replace. Would have stayed with the SMH10R units had I known.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest