Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT vs RT-Ltd - Lin-Q/trunk removal & effect on wind?

Still haven't bought yet until the crypto-winter is over (for those who know, as it follows the failing Nasdaq.. politics aside).. so I do NOT own any Spyder at this time.
    I am familiar with the Spyder line, however, as I've owned a 2013 RS-S and RT-L with the older Rotax 998..

I believe the RT-Limited has the Lin-Q setup already installed (please correct me otherwise) which means you can remove the rear-seat/speaker setup fairly easily (so I hear). If anyone has a few pictures of that, I'd be appreciative.
    If it does not then I'd have to add Lin-Q I suppose..

So... question is:

If the rear panel - https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...ear-panel.html is replaced with the rear seat setup (using LinQ) is it easy to interchange and how is the wind-change for the rider?

I remember the 2013 RS-S with the added saddlebags by GIVI - https://wrapmyspyder.com/shop/fullbo...ag-insert-kit/ definitely changed the wind wrap-around affect significantly. I also suspect any modification to rear compartments will affect wind to the rider as well. Has anyone noticed or done this?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-25-2023 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Exposed hidden URL's iaw Forum policy to avoid trolls/spam/scams... & expanded title to briefly ask the question!

Spyder Garage

Here is a quick video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l8X...themeRefresh=1

It may not be this simple depending on the year. I have a 2020 RT with topcase. The locking mechanism can be a little difficult to grip. I believe the '21+ come with a tool(key) that makes it a lot easier.
    As far as the rear panel, it's sold separately, but it simple attaches to 2 latches near the passenger seat and 1 latch near the very rear of the spyder.

Blind Bambi(no eye deer/no idea) regarding the wind question.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

two things to keep in mind with regards to the rear panel.
    1. They are available in limited colors
    2. You cannot have the passenger arm rests if you remove the trunk and put the rear panel on.

Look at this link and scroll down to more information
    https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...-armrests.html
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    two things to keep in mind with regards to the rear panel.
    1. They are available in limited colors
    2. You cannot have the passenger arm rests if you remove the trunk and put the rear panel on.

Look at this link and scroll down to more information
    https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...-armrests.html
    Campermac, you are right to a certain extent. If you have BRP passenger armrests, you are correct. If you buy aftermarket passenger armrests from Show Chrome brand (like I have) you can remove trunk. Because they attach to the trunk, I take mine off when I ride solo. Looks real sporty that way.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2023 at 05:57 AM. Reason: fini unfin wor & ' 's ;-/
    2022 Spyder RTL- Chrome , Larger brake pedal Deep Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    Here is a quick video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l8X...themeRefresh=1

The locking mechanism can be a little difficult to grip. I believe the '21+ come with a tool(key) that makes it a lot easier.

Blind Bambi(no eye deer/no idea) regarding the wind question.
    The "tool" that you mention has a "holder" and costs less than $1.00. Contact the parts department at your dealer. I ordered mine over the phone and paid for it when I picked it up. You can probably order the tool, too.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikecronis View Post

I believe the RT-Limited has the Lin-Q setup already installed (please correct me otherwise) which means you can remove the rear-seat/speaker setup fairly easily (so I hear). If anyone has a few pictures of that, I'd be appreciative.
    If it does not then I'd have to add Lin-Q I suppose..

So... question is:

If the rear panel - https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...ear-panel.html is replaced with the rear seat setup (using LinQ) is it easy to interchange and how is the wind-change for the rider?
    Neither the RT Limited nor the RT comes with the Lin-Q set up. It's an option. I have a 2020 RT Limited and bought the RT Panel as soon as I was able to find one. This was almost three years ago and I haven't had my top case on since. Mind you, I ride one-up as my wife has her own 2021 F3 Limited. The top case removal was pretty easy... after I removed the passenger seat.

I don't remember the air effect that no top box has v with the top box. I can only tell you it looks much sleeker without the top box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Copperman; 01-25-2023 at 11:23 PM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 RTL. I picked up a rear cowl for mine on Ebay. It is easy on and easy off. I use the rubber grip handles on a pair of plyers to take mine on and off. The 2021 did not come with a tool for removal, but thanks to the info here (in this thread), I will be going to my dealership and buying one. My intention is to have it off 99% of the time, especially since my wife has her own Spyder to ride. But in these colder months, she refuses to drive and I had to put it back on. But for the 2 rides that I did without the rear trunk, I did notice more wind from the rear. Not bad, but different. I will definitely be leaving it off for the summer months. Love the looks without the trunk, as it reminds me of a small sports car, but with 3 wheels and handle bars instead of a steering wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2023 at 04:45 PM. Reason: post - thread ... there's 7 posts in this thread so far ;-)
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow, great info, everyone! I talked to BRP (1-888-272-9222) after the web-chat person was .. "unsure" and they say the RT-Limited comes with the Lin-Q system for 2023, and that I'd only have to buy the Top Panel to get that sweet, sweet streamlined look.
    Can anyone verify on their RT that there's that cool Lin-Q turn-switch in the bottom of the case?

Spyder Garage

My 2021 RTL came with the removal tool. That’s it to the left of the plug.
    F2AE4713-40FF-45F2-BB6E-3C32BDA5D6F7.jpg

Well, shoot.. the pic posted upside down.. sorry…so as it appears here the removal tool is to the right..lying loose in the trunk.
    Last edited by Pooch; 01-26-2023 at 04:52 PM.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

We have a F3L (2020). it comes with the linq system. Have never removed the trunk. Did not pay extra for the package (because of rebate/discounts) so for us, no harm no foul.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My '21 RTL came with the tool. I've only had the trunk off for running trailer wiring, but it was very easy to remove and install. I believe only the S2S models came stock with the cover. I use my trunk a lot, so no desire to remove it, one or two-up.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    My 2021 RTL came with the removal tool. That’s it to the left of the plug.
    F2AE4713-40FF-45F2-BB6E-3C32BDA5D6F7.jpg

Well, shoot.. the pic posted upside down.. sorry…so as it appears here the removal tool is to the right..lying loose in the trunk.
    BRP make a "holder" for the removal tool. It's standard on the 2022. I bought mine for $.97 from my dealer. It mounts on the back wall of the top box using any kind of adhesive.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

My 2021 RT Ltd didn’t come with one.
    I bought the chalk white rear cover but had difficulty reinstalling the top box.
    On discussion with my dealer, he said that the tool would help and he had them in stock.
    I went to pick it up and much to my surprise it was no cost to me.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Chalk White