Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I had heard that the Honda trikes are more difficult to steer.

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 Spyder, it is easier to steer and handle, plus it has VSS, Anti-Lock Brakes, DESS, (Digital Encoded Security System) and other safety features.

My thoughts are - take a test drive on F3 or an RT.

Good luck!

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-31-2023 at 04:53 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kmonroe99 View Post
    I know this is a Can Am forum, and I'm a current Ryker Rally owner, but I'm looking to "move up." So I'm looking for experience/thoughts on the Spyder F3/RT vs HD Ultra or Honda conversions.

I'm looking for something with more driver comfort and ease of use; passenger use would only be about 10%. I despise the local (SE FL coast) Can Am dealer where I got my Ryker but there's not much other choice for local maintenance; lots of HD shops around. Yeah cost of the HD is higher and I've seen lots of comments that make me think I'd have to do a bunch of mod's for comfort and heat control right out the gate.

Comments?
    To be honest, I don't think there is a trike that's easier to use than a semi-automatic Spyder.

Paddle shift, automatic downshifting, an inherent "reverse-trike" design that outmaneuvers, outbrakes and has a real reverse than the trikes made by Honda or HD, to me the choice is clearly obvious. You just have to sit on the various models to see which ones fit you the best and also decide what kind of riding you do most often (touring = RT, canyon carving = F3).
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I had heard that the Honda trikes are more difficult to steer.

Deanna
    Not really. The Honda trike and Spyder steer very differently. With 2 steering wheels the Spyder is much more susceptible to road anomalies. And we all know learning to have a light grip and unlearn 2-wheel habits can take some time. The Honda trike did not require learning new techniques, at least for me. I was comfortable and confident right away. As far as force (muscle) required, there is virtually no difference, at least in my experience. Others not having a raked tree (easy steer) will, of course, have a different experience. The dealer I use here told me that he will not sell a trike, new conversion or used, without a raked tree.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My experience is dated but has some relevance. We test rode a H-D TriGlide™, a RoadSmith conversion, another odd-aftermarket conversion, and two GS Spyders all on the same day.

H-D licensed the Lehman solid rear axle trike design for installation on the TriGlide and subsequent models: it is a rough-riding design but tends to not lean in the corners. Unless the machine hits a bump with the inside rear wheel which will bobble the heads of rider and passenger. The stock machines have a 26 deg rake on the front end, the same as the FLT family.

The RoadSmith conversion on a H-D Ultra Classic had independent rear suspension with a torsion anti-sway bar: it’s ride was better but the RoadSmith added a very larger rear end profile on the bike. It had a raked front end, but in the end, was still more work to ride compared to the Spyders.

The odd-aftermarket conversion was installed on a softtail H-D. Although a much smaller and presumably more nimble bike, it had a very poor (harsh) ride.

Plus they were all manual shift and the clutch pull was quite strong on all of them. But they all had that big v-twin sound that you can’t get our of smaller, 3-cylinder, high-revving internal combustion engine. And for the most part, had a very large dealer service network, if that’s important to you.

We went with the Spyder family, warts and all, and have not been disappointed. (Well, except for the pathetic BRP Connect fiasco.) Based on the physics of two wheels up front, they are inherently more stable that two wheels in the back (think Honda and Yamaha ATC from the 1970’s and 80’s).
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Not really. The Honda trike and Spyder steer very differently. With 2 steering wheels the Spyder is much more susceptible to road anomalies. And we all know learning to have a light grip and unlearn 2-wheel habits can take some time. The Honda trike did not require learning new techniques, at least for me. I was comfortable and confident right away. As far as force (muscle) required, there is virtually no difference, at least in my experience. Others not having a raked tree (easy steer) will, of course, have a different experience. The dealer I use here told me that he will not sell a trike, new conversion or used, without a raked tree.
    canamjhb,

What I meant was that if the Honda Trikes don't have power steering, they can be difficult to steer.

Also, to each his own

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My youngest brother (recently deceased) had a Harley Tri-Glide (factory installed conversion) for only a few months. One of his biggest complaints was the front tire tended to skip in hard cornering. The rear axle wanted to keep the bike going in a straight line and the friction of the front wheel wasn't enough to overcome that tendency, hence the 'skipping'. He sold it and bought a 2020 RT which he really enjoyed for the few months he was able to ride until the big "C" hit his brain.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 01-30-2023 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added factory conversion

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    My youngest brother (recently deceased) had a Harley Tri-Glide for only a few months. One of his biggest complaints was the front tire tended to skip in hard cornering. The rear axle wanted to keep the bike going in a straight line and the friction of the front wheel wasn't enough to overcome that tendency, hence the 'skipping'. He sold it and bought a 2020 RT which he really enjoyed for the few months he was able to ride until the big "C" hit his brain.
    IMS, very sorry to hear of your loss sending many ....... and when I decided Riding my Gold Wing was not going to be possible, I tested both the GW Trike conversion, and the HD trike ..... both scared me .... a friend had heard about the Spyder and we went to look at it .... Traded my GW on the spot ..... JHMO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Just a comment..... Not all traditional trikes are or ride the same! Comments like front wheel skips, hard to steer, rides like a lumber truck, etc. only mean that applies to the experience of one rider on one trike. Not all trikes have IRS. Not all trikes have raked trees. Not all trikes have the same wheelbase and track. Not all trikes have been converted by knowledgeable and qualified shops.

I want to assure all here that my CSC/Goldwing DOES NOT ride like a lumber truck. The front wheel DOES NOT skip in turns. The steering is as easy as it was on my Spyder. In fact it is easier!

I would not own a trike that did not have a rake kit or IRS because of the potentially poor riding characteristics many of you might have experienced. I think describing a poor or scary riding experience without qualifying that experience by disclosing the details about the trike ridden can be misleading.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Just a comment..... Not all traditional trikes are or ride the same! Comments like front wheel skips, hard to steer, rides like a lumber truck, etc. only mean that applies to the experience of one rider on one trike. Not all trikes have IRS. Not all trikes have raked trees. Not all trikes have the same wheelbase and track. Not all trikes have been converted by knowledgeable and qualified shops.

I want to assure all here that my CSC/Goldwing DOES NOT ride like a lumber truck. The front wheel DOES NOT skip in turns. The steering is as easy as it was on my Spyder. In fact it is easier!

I would not own a trike that did not have a rake kit or IRS because of the potentially poor riding characteristics many of you might have experienced. I think describing a poor or scary riding experience without qualifying that experience by disclosing the details about the trike ridden can be misleading.
    Your CSC conversion is an automotive rear differential also, right? That makes all the difference in cornering as the the wheels are free to turn at different rotational speeds vs both turning the same with a solid rear axle.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Your CSC conversion is an automotive rear differential also, right? That makes all the difference in cornering as the wheels are free to turn at different rotational speeds vs both turning the same with a solid rear axle.
    That's correct. When I'm cornering, I don't have the rear end trying to push me off the road or giving me a lumpy ride. Tri-Glides are all manufactured with a solid axle that affects handling and ride. Lots of owners unhappy, but there is a solution. There is a company named IMS Trikes that makes an IRS kit for HD Tri-Glides among others. But you really have to like your trike and have a fat checkbook. Prices start at about 11 grand.

When I switched to my CSC from my Spyder I did a LOT of homework and talked to a LOT of owners and dealers. The difference from one brand/configuration to another is huge. It's unfortunate to categorize all of them the same. Not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to provide real information I have experienced and learned so the OP has a better understanding about what they are asking.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 03:54 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    Semper Fi

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The Harley trikes I've seen are pretty much next generation versions of what the police department used to use 60+years ago to do parking enforcement. Compared to the Can Am, it's the Flintstones vs Star Wars.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RT-S, and I'm considering moving to a Tri-Glide for one simple but very important reason: Harley dealers know how to maintain their product.

My local Can-Am dealer raped my Spyder last summer. While trying to troubleshoot a rear suspension compressor problem, they swapped out the main computer with a test unit, apparently looking for a CANBUS issue. System checked out OK. When they put my original unit back in ... Zap! it died. They claimed my unit died on its own, and I had to pay $900 for a new one. By the way, it reset my odometer to zero. They also installed a new rear tire (Kenda -- spit!). When I got home, I noticed the belt was walking off the rear sprocket and was sawing its way through the chain guard (which was the only thing holding it on). They immediately sent out a flatbed to pick it up. Said the technician was unfamiliar with the new belt tensioning process. They did replace the chain guard at their expense.

The problem is, they introduced a new problem with my compressor, but damned if I'm going to give them any more money. I'll just live with it. But I no longer trust the bike on a long trip. And steam comes out of my ears when I see the triple-digit odometer.

I so pissed, I haven't ridden it in six months. I put fuel stabilizer in the tank and plugged in a battery tender; it just sits there in my garage.

To top things off, a few years ago I injured my back (compression fracture between the shoulder blades). Any ride more than 2 hours and my back starts complaining. I've considered trying to find some tri-axis handlebars, but that's about $1K installed, with no guarantee it'll help. And that would require another powerport solution, as the tri-axis bars are incompatible with the power block I got from Lamonster (more $$$!). A new/modified seat might also help, but that might be as much as $1600 for an Ultimate seat, again with no guarantee that it will help my back.

So, I could wind up sinking as much as $2500 or so into an older bike, which my dealer has already demonstrated that he can't maintain. My wife says she's OK if I buy a new Spyder, but again, why should I buy another Spyder if the dealer can't maintain the one I have? And there's again no guarantee my back will be happy.

[Updated: don't get me started on their handling of my DESS issues]

Which brings me back to the Tri-Glide. there are Harley dealers in almost every town, and all they know how to service are V-twins. Yes, I've read about the truck-like ride, but I went from a BMW to a Spyder, and that was already like going from a Miata to an F-150, so what have I got to lose? OTOH, the cost of a new Tri-Glide is equal to a fully equipped Miata.

The other option, which I'm seriously considering now, is to simply dump the Spyder as is, and retire from motorcycling altogether after 45 years in the saddle.

Those of you who have decent Spyder shops don't appreciate how lucky you are.

In sum, based on my experience, moving to a Tri-Glide is a reasonable option (or a Ural sidecar rig, but our current relationship with Russia puts a crimp on supportability.)
    Last edited by Fat Baxter; 01-30-2023 at 11:48 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Fat Baxter, I'm sorry you have had so much trouble. ..... I've taken my 14 RT to all the dealerships in Vt. (I think there are only three) and have issues with all of them. Lucky it was mostly warranty work. .... Personally speaking, Dealership/tech issues are the weak link for Spyders. .... I do all my maintenance (from day one) and I think that prevents a lot of headaches and saves a LOT of money. ...... I'd get a Miata instead of a Harley...... Good Luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-31-2023 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    . I'd get a Miata instead of a Harley..
    If it wasn't for my Miata my Spyder would have a lot more miles on it!
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Fat Baxter, I'm sorry you have had so much trouble. ..... I've taken my 14 RT to all the dealerships in Vt. (I think there are only three) and have issues with all of them. Lucky it was mostly warranty work. .... Personally speaking, Dealership/tech issues are the weak link for Spyders. .... I do all my maintenance (from day one) and I think that prevents a lot of headaches and saves a LOT of money. ...... I'd get a Miata instead of a Harley...... Good Luck .... Mike

I agree with that! I picked up my new Spyder the day after it was un-crated. Took it home and went over the whole thing again, to see if the dealer had missed anything. Yeah, they had missed things. The Spyder has never been back to the dealer since I picked it up. Not for service, not for tire changes, not for anything. Never had any problems with it, and only the normal wear items have ever been changed. The dealership does not fix the problem, the dealership is the problem.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's correct. When I'm cornering I don't have the rear end trying to push me off the road or giving me a lumpy ride. Tri-Glides are all manufactured with a solid axle that affects handling and ride. Lots of owners unhappy, but there is a solution. There is a company named IMS Trikes that makes an IRS kit for HD Tri-Glides among others. But you really have to like your trike and have a fat checkbook. Prices start at about 11 grand.

When I switched to my CSC from my Spyder I did a LOT of homework and talked to a LOT of owners and dealers. The difference from one brand/configuration to another is huge. It's unfortunate to categorize all of them the same. Not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to provide real information I have experienced and learned so the OP has a better understanding about what they are asking.
    A differential and independent rear suspension are two separate features. All modern trike conversions or OEM trikes on the road that use a rear differential. The alleged "solid axle" means drive axle similar to a rear-wheel drive car/pickup: when the wheel hits a bump or pothole, the up/down motion will rock the chassis. The CSC conversion, and products like it, have a rear-wheel drive system more akin to a Corvette (although motorcycles are not "transaxle" designs) or Jaguar IRS: the differential is mounted solid with each rear wheel allowed to move independently to absorb a bump (limited by the torsion stabilizer bar). They have a tendency to ride smoother, transmit less chassis movement to the rider and passenger, and have a bit more lean in a corner, similar to the lean on a Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 03:54 AM. Reason: sp ' 's ;-)
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    All modern trike conversions or OEM trikes on the road that use a rear differential.
    The OEM differential for Harley trikes is certainly not an automotive style differential. It's # 18 on this parts diagram. https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...47d6b7bd7aaa/y

I don't find any info on Google how that part is constructed and how it actually works, but it must not be very well. I can hardly believe the the number of after market rear axle conversion kits available. I don't even find a You Tube video on how to repair, if possible, the H-D differential.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The OEM differential for Harley trikes is certainly not an automotive style differential. It's # 18 on this parts diagram. https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...47d6b7bd7aaa/y

I don't find any info on Google how that part is constructed and how it actually works, but it must not be very well. I can hardly believe the the number of after market rear axle conversion kits available. I don't even find a You Tube video on how to repair, if possible, the H-D differential.
    OK, let's split hairs. A differential allows the wheels to turn at different rates; all modern trikes, factory or aftermarket, have a differential. Of course it is "not an automotive style differential" as it looks different in that the H-D is a belt drive, not a shaft drive. It still allows the wheels to turn at different rates, hence the term "differential". I've seen the H-D, the MotorTrike, the CSC (which I believe is the "best" one, especially for a shaft drive set up). There are some fundamental differences necessitated by a V-Twin engine vs a Honda, BMW, Motoguzzi, or Ural.

Here are some links:
    https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...e-trike-review
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/18566975511...Bk9SR4SwyKTBYQ
    https://www.harley-davidsonforums.co...rential.46847/
    Last edited by pauly1; 01-31-2023 at 07:11 PM.
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

I started out with the Ryker Rally. I loved that thing. About 6 months later I ended up trading and buying a new Harley Freewheeler. All my buddy's had Harleys and peer pressure got the best of me. That Freewheeler tore my shoulders up and my back from the terrible ride and the hard shock to shoulders from front steering pull on bumps. I got rid of the freewheeler when I moved to SC and bought a '22 RT. It's like going to a Cadillac, but boy, I sure do miss my ol' Ryker. It was the most fun ride I ever owned. I wish I still had it...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-01-2023 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Caps ;-)
    2022 RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After living 30 or so miles from the famous Dragon for 7-8 years before moving to New Mexico. A lot of both Motorcycle and Trike riders from the flat lands make a pilgrimage to that area to ride the "Dragon". The road has a ton of severe twisties. A lot of crashes from riders not experienced on that type of road. Conventional trikes like the HD's and Goldwing and other conversions are well over the average of vehicles represented in these crashes. I have yet to hear of any Spyder similar types of crashes, there may be some, but I haven't heard of any. A reverse trike like the Can Am's, Vanderhall and others are many times safer, especially the Can Am Spyder series with its Nanny. A HD trike sounds cool however all you have to do is get an ill handling, Dump Truck riding, great sounding Trike. I prefer a Spyder.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L