full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default Need the under-seat bracket for 2016 RT back rest - anyone? Or a source?

I have a new to me 2016 RT-L with the stock seat. I would like to add the drivers backrest. A friend of mine has the backrest that I can get very reasonably but does not have the bracket that goes under the seat that the back rest seats in. When he traded his '15, he kept the backrest but didn't take the bracket off the seat.
    Does anyone here have one or a source that I could get one without breaking the bank?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-17-2022 at 07:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Last time someone searched for just this bracket, I don't believe they found any joy!

So I think you'll probably be forced to either buy from BRP/one of the 'cheap' BRP parts outlets online; or make/find someone who can make/fab up a bracket for you.... At least it's not really all that complex a piece of kit, just needs a few fairly accurate measurements & some holes in the right places! Apart from the bracket itself, which needs a bit of reasonably substantial flat steel that you can bend into shape; all the bolts & fittings etc can be found at your local Nut & Bolt Supplier or maybe your local Hardware store?!?

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

OUCH. Not what I wanted to hear but I'm not surprised. At this point I think I will let it rest. I do have one link possible with a fellow at 2 Guys Garage (Phoenix area) who wants to see if he can make one at a sensible price. 'll let the group know if that bears any fruit. Thanks for the info.

Spyder Garage

What brand backrest? BRP utopia or ?
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    What brand backrest? BRP utopia or ?
    I'm not fussy. Per my earlier post, I was looking for the bottom bracket for an OEM backrest. But since then I am discovering that the aftermarket is full of full backrest kits for anywhere from $125 to $250 complete. Perhaps I'm asking he wrong question.
    Maybe I should be asking if any of you have any experience with the aftermarket backrest kits and/or recommendations toward a preferred one.

Spyder Garage

I ask because I am pretty sure the bracket under the seat for a BRP backrest is different the a Utopia.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

I recommend the Utopia backrest for your RT. I have one and I love it . It has plenty of adjustment to fit most ryders. It is easy to install and looks good on the Spyder .
    Artie
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    I'm not fussy. Per my earlier post, I was looking for the bottom bracket for an OEM backrest. But since then I am discovering that the aftermarket is full of full backrest kits for anywhere from $125 to $250 complete. Perhaps I'm asking he wrong question.
    Maybe I should be asking if any of you have any experience with the aftermarket backrest kits and/or recommendations toward a preferred one.

I assume OEM means a BRP backrest. I have a Utopia under the seat bracket, but no backrest. Not sure this helps.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    I assume OEM means a BRP backrest. I have a Utopia under the seat bracket, but no backrest. Not sure this helps.
    OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer, so yeah, OEM with regard to a Spyder, Ryker, or anything Can Am = BRP
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I love my Utopia ..... There are others, but there have been folks who bought them ( because they were cheaper ), and discovered they weren't as comfortable and didn't provide LUMBAR support..... good luck .... Mike ....PS if you have a BRP backrest you Need the BRP under-seat Bracket. .... Mike

Spyder Garage

If you are willing to wait until tomorrow, I will be happy to look on the oem seat I have in a box in my now frozen garage. I swapped the oem seat and backrest for a different seat. I'm happy with the new seat, and will not need the bracket for it. I'll be back in the morning, and will let you know, if you are still interested!
    2014 RTL , Gray

Spyder Garage

Sorry, too much family get togethering yesterday!

Yes, I do have one if you still need it. Just let me know!!
    2014 RTL , Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W. View Post
    Sorry, too much family get togethering yesterday!

Yes, I do have one if you still need it. Just let me know!!
    Yes I am absolutely interested. But for safety sake, I will send you a picture of the upped backrest portion so we don't go down the wrong roads. I can't thank you enough. I'll be back. To the group, should I send the picture on a PM?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes I am absolutely interested. But for safety sake, I will send you a picture of the upped backrest portion so we don't go down the wrong roads. I can't thank you enough. I'll be back. To the group, should I send the picture on a PM?
    I think we would all like to see it ...... folks have had difficulty doing it using a PM .... good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I think we would all like to see it ...... folks have had difficulty doing it using a PM .... good luck ....Mike

Thanks for this post. I thought he was asking for an underseat backrest bracket. I just wanted to know what brand he had, but I totally got lost as to his wants.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

OK. To be clear I am going to repeat. I have a stock 2016 RTL. I an interested in the riders backrest. I have access through a friend of the upper portion (the back rest itself) but he does not have the bracket that is the underseat portion that the upper portion fits in to through the seat. Bill W seems to have what I need.
    Now I'm ashamed to say this part, but as a techno Neanderthal, I would like to put up a picture of what I have to prevent any confusion but I don't know how to upload same. Any assistance here would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

OK. .......
    Now I'm ashamed to say this part, but as a techno Neanderthal, I would like to put up a picture of what I have to prevent any confusion but I don't know how to upload same. Any assistance here would be appreciated.
    Take a picture of whatever in LANDSCAPE mode (Drop the top of your phone or tablet to the LEFT, ie. anti-clockwise, so the pic will be wider than it is tall ) & save it onto the device you are using to post on the Forum as a jpg/jpeg. Then either click on 'Quick Reply' then 'Go Advanced' or click on the 'Reply to Thread' button at the end of this thread to open the 'Reply to Thread' Text Field. Once you can see the text box where you can type your reply, scroll down past that, past 'Additional Options' until you can see 'Attachments' & click on 'Manage Attachments'. That'll open a page with 'Upload Files from your Computer' up near the top - click on 'Choose File', find & select your picture file on your computer (it'll probably be in the Pictures or Downloads Directory?) & click on it so that it's name etc. appears alongside that Choose File button (you can select the next button to add another pic, but try to limit the number of attachments to any one post to 6 or less, so that all can see them on their devices - more than 6 per post will mean some can't even open the thread!); then click on the 'Upload' button down in the bottom Right of that panel. The file name will disappear from alongside the Choose File button & appear down the page a bit just above the Attachment Key field where it shows all the acceptable File Types & Sizes and the pic will be loaded to your new post, so you can close the 'Upload Files' page by clicking the button down the very bottom of the page & return to your 'Reply to Thread' page, add any text you want, and then click on 'Submit Reply' to add your post with its pic to the thread.

PM me or any of the other Mods if you have any questions/hassles.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter. I hope this works.
    Bill. I hope this looks like the top of your unused one. Please let me know. If so, this will fix me right up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Sent you a PM. Sorry about the delay in replying - too much to do at work!
    2014 RTL , Gray

Spyder Garage

Just to update. Bill W is sending me what I need. Thank you thank you. But now a question before I do the install.

Will I need to take the seat off to install that underseat bracket?

Spyder Garage

Nope, just lift the seat up, line up the bracket, with the holes(once you see it in place, you'll know), and put the 4 bolts in and tighten. Pop the D shaped cover off of the top side of the seat, slide the backrest down until you feel it lock in place. After that, go ride !!
    2014 RTL , Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W. View Post
    Nope, just lift the seat up, line up the bracket, with the holes(once you see it in place, you'll know), and put the 4 bolts in and tighten. Pop the D shaped cover off of the top side of the seat, slide the backrest down until you feel it lock in place. After that, go ride !!
    Great. Even I can negotiate that.

Spyder Garage

Back rest installed and the wife still fits on just fine. My back is in love. Thank you Bill W.

Spyder Garage

Back rest installed and the wife still fits on just fine. My back is in love. Thank you Bill W.
    Always happy to help a fellow Spyder rider out!! Be safe, and keep riding!
    2014 RTL , Gray