Spyder Garage

Default F4 Custom Windshield Experience Anyone?

Wife immediately complained about the new 2022 Ryker Sport I bought with the Sport windshield. She does not like her hair ruffled around the ears. As a serious cancer surviver she is happy to now have some hair again. This is a sensitive subject. OK - I went and got the Adventure windshield. Same issue and the bitching has continued.

Yes - a full face helmet might work but she is also claustrophobic and immediately panicked just trying one on. At age 75, a change there is not reasonable. She has motorcycled with me for decades on Harleys. She loves long rides on my Fatboy. I have recently lost much of the use of the fingers in my left hand, hence the automatic Ryker. So the the question.

Might an F4 Custom windshield improve her passenger experience with wind? I have the Ultimate seat so we both sit a bit higher than the normal seats. Might be fine for me but the passenger???

IMG_5603.jpg

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

F4 has change hands and I see the windshield for the Ryker looks smaller than the one they had before I think. The biggest windshield I see for the Ryker is https://store.valueaccessories.net/A...n-AmRyker.aspx. There may be other windshields out there, this is just what I saw when I looked. Good luck with you research, hopefully some of the Ryker riders will have some good info for you.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    F4 has change hands and I see the windshield for the Ryker looks smaller than the one they had before I think. The biggest windshield I see for the Ryker is https://store.valueaccessories.net/A...n-AmRyker.aspx. There may be other windshields out there, this is just what I saw when I looked. Good luck with you research, hopefully some of the Ryker riders will have some good info for you.
    That is really nice and thoughtful on your part. You took the time to research and respond, which shows you care.

I never heard of "Value Accessories" so bookmarked it. $200 is 1/2 price of the V4 Customs one. Did read where the V4 ownership had changed. Also read where both their quality and customer service is now awful. Do not know the actual reality but probably can contact them and just bluntly ask. Reports I get on the V4 are good. Just have not read anything about the affects, if any, there might be on a passenger.

Could move on the one you made me aware of. We will be hauling this bike in our small toy hauler to Maggie Valley for our usual month of riding, trout fishing, meeting grandkids living near there and having fun. Have time before then to make a decision. Meantime I/we have put over 700 miles on the new Ryker since getting it just a month ago. Florida in the winter is a great time to ride.

Thanks again.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    That is really nice and thoughtful on your part. You took the time to research and respond, which shows you care.

I never heard of "Value Accessories" so bookmarked it. $200 is 1/2 price of the V4 Customs one. Did read where the V4 ownership had changed. Also read where both their quality and customer service is now awful. Do not know the actual reality but probably can contact them and just bluntly ask. Reports I get on the V4 are good. Just have not read anything about the affects, if any, there might be on a passenger.

Could move on the one you made me aware of. We will be hauling this bike in our small toy hauler to Maggie Valley for our usual month of riding, trout fishing, meeting grandkids living near there and having fun. Have time before then to make a decision. Meantime I/we have put over 700 miles on the new Ryker since getting it just a month ago. Florida in the winter is a great time to ride.

Thanks again.
    The most important thing about the " F-4 " product ( the orig owner ) was the coating that was on the plastic. Others have said the new Owners leave a lot to be desired. .... If you take reasonable precautions when washing your windshield ALL of them will last the life of the bike. So the shape of it is what matters. I had an 11 RSS and wanted a better ( ie. larger ) windshield, I lucked out and found a used one from a company that was named " F-4 customs " ( they used the name before they went out of business - the owner moved back to Germany ) It was unique in that it had a " laminar type " lip at the Top, it worked fantastic ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Checkout 7jurock Windshields. They're a family owned company. Great people to deal with. I’m sure they make Screens for a Ryker. Mine was for an RTL. Very reasonable. Under $200. Checkout their site. Good luck. Remember, Happy Wife, Happy Life!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-22-2023 at 10:49 PM. Reason: sp...
    2022 Spyder RTL- Chrome , Larger brake pedal Deep Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rhino1 View Post
    Checkout 7jurock Windshields. They're a family owned company. Great people to deal with. I’m sure they make Screens for a Ryker. Mine was for an RTL. Very reasonable. Under $200. Checkout their site. Good luck. Remember, Happy Wife, Happy Life!
    Sent 7Jurock an email last night. Their website showed windshields for Can Am Spyders. Did not see a Ryker mentioned.

Their offerings for other bikes sure looked good. That reversed design at the top is like the F4's. Maybe. Thanks for the link.

Spyder Garage

see below. Here is the Amazon fairing. Can-Am 715000935 Yellow ATV Deluxe Fairing

Here is an idea. Go to Amazon and search for a windshields the one below is what I put on mine. It has the sport windshield, but they make a medium and a larger one to fit the fairing. This is mine.

Ryker 2.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-23-2023 at 01:27 PM. Reason: merged - why 2 posts within minutes on the same thing?/
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

Texas Al - have gone the same way you have. started out with an F4 16" customs but found it slightly too high for me (1.73cm) during foggy/ very cold morning rides. And replaced it with the outlander fairing and smallest windscreen. However mine came with the largest one and that thing is huge. Captainmal - if going the can-am delux fairing way do not get the biggest one.

Am very likely going to sell my F4 windshield.
    Ryker Rally 2022 - customized into a very special one of a kind touring edition .
    H&R swaybar + end links - F4 16" windshield - warning lights - scuff plate - jockey shifter - Commander floorboards - - Big Eye mirrors - BLR overflow - Spyderextras driver backrest - custom build racks - MoskoMoto backcountry panniers & Givi topcase

Spyder Garage

Just cut it down if it's too big. Place some masking tape over where you wish to mark and cut. A jig-saw or similar will do it and finish off with sandpaper.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-31-2023 at 01:27 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thought of doing that but decided to go for the can am delux faiting.
    Ryker Rally 2022 - customized into a very special one of a kind touring edition .
    H&R swaybar + end links - F4 16" windshield - warning lights - scuff plate - jockey shifter - Commander floorboards - - Big Eye mirrors - BLR overflow - Spyderextras driver backrest - custom build racks - MoskoMoto backcountry panniers & Givi topcase

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Al View Post
    see below. Here is the Amazon fairing. Can-Am 715000935 Yellow ATV Deluxe Fairing

Here is an idea. Go to Amazon and search for a windshields the one below is what I put on mine. It has the sport windshield, but they make a medium and a larger one to fit the fairing. This is mine.

Ryker 2.jpg
    Never thought of a handlebar faring. Actually did not know something like that was made but remember seeing something like that with a radio and speakers in it. Since I have an aversion to radios and speakers on a bike, never looked for more information. I did note that a taller windshield is available.

Appreciate the idea. Will have to find where that thing is sold. Have no clue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Al View Post

Ryker 2.jpg

Wait...

Checked that out. It is designed to work on some kinds of 4 x 4 Can Am quads. It is not for the Ryker but you have one mounted on a Ryker. How you do that?

Read that is mounts on handlebars so guessing that is how you did it. My Sport has lessened handlebar availability due to the cruise control on the left. Have my phone mounted on the right side and maybe will have a GPS also on somewhere, probably the left. You have a picture from the rear showing how you have it mounted?

Spyder Garage

Yes Captian. Mine is mounted to the handlebars. I will see if I have a photo of the mounts.IMG_1815.jpg

Fairing will mount to OEM handlebars, but I have mine attached to ATV bars.
    I mount my phone to the Quad mount in center on photo and my GP to the Ram ball.
    Last edited by Texas Al; 01-24-2023 at 04:11 PM.
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

7Jurock never responded to my inquiries. I do not think they make anything for the Ryker.

Yesterday I had a phone conversation with Slingmods. Told them I called and called F4 Customs. They have a phone number listed in their ads. You call it and keep getting another number. Left messages and never got a response. The Slingmods guy told me they were having no issues with the new owners of F4 Customs. We talked more on the issue of quality and support.

Ordered a new F4 Customs 16" clear from them yesterday. No clue when I get it but when I do, will do a full report on the affect, if any, on a passenger.

Spyder Garage

I bought the F4 windshield a couple of years ago. It has been the best $400 I ever spent. Hopefully, the new product under the new ownership is exactly the same.

One thing I wouldn’t do is purchasing a universal type windshield like the Show Chrome that was linked above. Get something that is made specifically for the Ryker and save yourself some headaches. The F4 or a Madstad would be recommended.
    2020 Ryker 600

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE View Post
    One thing I wouldn’t do is purchasing a universal type windshield like the Show Chrome that was linked above.
    FYI, that windshield is not universal, it has custom brackets for the Ryker. I have one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    FYI, that windshield is not universal, it has custom brackets for the Ryker. I have one.
    Thanks for correcting me. I have seen a lot of Show Chrome universal parts, so I incorrectly assumed it wasn't Ryker specific. That's good to know.
    2020 Ryker 600

Spyder Garage

My wife is all in on the F4 windshields. We ride a 2020 RTL. Huge difference for her! All the way down I can just see over the top. Butt, when she is on and the buffeting gets bad. I raise it up for her. Expensive, but you get what you pay for. Ours is tinted, plus 4 wide and tall. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    that showchrome windshield in the link looks nice, Im 6 feet tall, think Id benefit from the larger one? or is that for like 6'4" and up?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Badmotorf1nger View Post
    that showchrome windshield in the link looks nice, Im 6 feet tall, think Id benefit from the larger one? or is that for like 6'4" and up?
    I have the standard 16" ShowChrome windshield, I'm 5' 11" it is good for me.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Just cut it down if it's too big. Place some masking tape over where you wish to mark and cut. A jig-saw or similar will do it and finish off with sandpaper.
    ...... If you're planning to replace it because you don't like it ..... then there's not much to lose .... go for it ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-31-2023 at 01:26 AM. Reason: no - not ;-)

Spyder Garage

After some time with the F4, it was worth it. No more buffeting for the wife. She is actually starting to like riding on the Ryker. She would still like riding on the Harley more, but the bitching is near nothing now. My left hand felt good enough to try and work the Harley clutch and I rode it yesterday. You see better over that windshield but there is lots more wind coming around it than with the F4 on the Ryker. Guess I had gotten used to the Harley after decades and a few hundred thousand miles.

The F4 is clear. Just look at the picture. I can show more but this is all you need to see. It cleans spotless and easily. There are no shakes and bad updrafts behind it. Zero helmet buffeting for me and when big trucks go by the other way, I have no need to duck down behind the F4 like I often do on the Harley. Have not ridden in the rain yet so no idea how that would be. Here in South Florida, there is literally no rain from October through May. We are a desert, and it looks it.

Negatives ... I have tried to raise up a bit to see where the wind stream is. For my use I would like it to be maybe 1" or so lower. That would allow me to see over it by at least three inches instead of the inch or so I look over relaxed right now. Shrunk to 5'10" as I aged but still do see over it. Just wished it was a littler lower for me. Of course, that might compromise the wife's experience.

If you want a good windshield - get the F4.

IMG_5737.jpg IMG_5811.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2023 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)