Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What's your helmet of choice?

In hot weather I wear a Nolan N40, but I can't say I am thrilled with the feel of this 3/4 helmet. For colder weather I use a Shoei Neotec, a modular that I am mostly happy with. But I guess I am always searching for the "perfect" helmet that will be comfortable, protective and reasonably quiet. So I'm asking what others have found to be their favorite so I can start to narrow my search. Gives me something to focus on during the non-riding season.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Shark Evo One 2 - both me and the wife.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Schuberth c3 has been quiet, well ventilated and the communication module is great.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

At speed. A full face helmet is the coolest and least fatiguing of all options. I prefer a straight full face. Most of mine are HJC or KBC because I can usually find a model that fits my head shape well. I know I'm in the minority. But I don't like modular. They are much heavier and I don't need the features. On long hauls, a heavy helmet wears me down. I like the bang for the buck and lighter weight of a straight full face. I try to get last year's models because I'm cheap. Of course, a full face helmet is, by far, the safest way to go.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

HJC modular for me and the wife.

Spyder Garage

My favorite is the Shoei Neotec.
    2022 RT , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I really like my Shoie full face modular for cooler days, and I have a Bell Half helmet with sun shield for warmer days. The half helmet doesn't add much protection other than keeping bugs outta your eyes, but it's what I prefer.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Schuberth full coverage flip up.

With all due respect, a Bennie or half helmet is in all reality not a helmet at all if you are interested in protection.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Modular HJC C91 & HJC Full Face
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bell was my first then came HJC and now a Shark EVO 2. I believe studies now show the chin area is the first contact point in most crashes both fatal and nonfatal. My research lead me to believe that European standards and testing edged out North American testing and standards, but not by much. The overriding difference was in quality and control. Not construction. JMHO

Spyder Garage

Sena cavalry in summer and HJC modular for spring and fall.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Call me crazy... but my choice of a helmet is the one that FITS, is COMFORTABLE, QUIET,
    I have had several helmets in my life and I always go with the fit and not the name.
    The brand name means nothing if the helmet is not quite right or comfortable. I seem to tell folks
    to go their local CYCLE GEAR or Motorcycle dealer and try on every helmet in their size until
    they find the one they like.

Spyder Garage

Not a modular fan either. HJC for years, but after really looking closer at head shapes I went with a Shoe Air full face. All day comfort for me.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

For years I was a Nolan fan. Gravitated from 104's to N40's. Always liked the drop down visor.

The communicaters are NOT as good as Sena. Mounted Sena 5's on the Nolan N40's.

Most recent purchase was Bell with the built in Sena's. Much improved with the communication over the non-Sena brands. The reviews said watch out for the drop down visors...they break. it took a year, but they did on both our helmets. The replacement drop down visors we ordered would not install properly. We are making due with what we have since both of the bikes are currently for sale. I have healthed out...so it is getting too difficult for me to continue to ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Bell was my first then came HJC and now a Shark EVO 2. I believe studies now show the chin area is the first contact point in most crashes both fatal and nonfatal. My research lead me to believe that European standards and testing edged out North American testing and standards, but not by much. The overriding difference was in quality and control. Not construction. JMHO
    Helmet Strike Stats.jpg

It didn't take long working in the Fire Department for me to be convinced that I needed a full face helmet. None of the events I responded to had riders that planned on having an accident that day. A 3/4 helmet sacrifices about 35% of the protection you'll want if needed. A 1/2 helmet brings it up to over 50%, according to statistics.

Reality has a tendency of intruding in upon our imagination. With all the other advantages of a full face helmet. It is definitely something to consider.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the Bell Eliminator Full Face and It has worked out well and has only fogged up with very low temps (below freezing at slow speeds).

I originally had a Bell Qualifier (Cheapest Bell Full Face) When I first got my F3 and it sacrificed itself when I had my accident and was thrown over the handlebars into a curb. The qualifier cracked when the back of my head hit the curb first then the rest of my right side.
    The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was noisy as hell and the vent closures had broke from the wind and would rattle. Otherwise it was a decent full face for under a hundred bucks on amazon.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Shoei GT-Air II with the Pinlock Visor & integrated Sun visor. Not cheap (especially here in Oz! ) but there's a pretty good size range and a variety of different sized pads & liners to suit most faces, altho you will need to check that the helmet shape itself fits your head. They've won awards for being significantly better ventilated & quieter than other helmets, and if you like Sena (not me - UClear Motion outperforms & works much better for me/my needs! ) there's an option that integrates one of their models (can't tell you which, I ditched it!) into the helmet.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Shoei RJ Platinum R
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Default What-s-your-helmet-of-choice

Used HJC modular for years but after wearing my Spouses Arai Defiant X I don't think I'll ever go back to HJC or any other. The Arai breathes better than any helmet I've worn and the shield is optically clear and without distortion anywhere. The lack of internal sun screen has been nicely handles with a Super Visor. Also just splurged for a new Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket and pants. Can't take it with you!!

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I use a Bell Qualifier, first Bell I've ever used. Seems OK, I don't really notice the wind though, it has cut outs for speakers. I use my cheap as chips Chinese BT-S2 pro for all my Bluetooth needs. My other long time helmet was an OGK, awesome helmet. However, they aren't made under that name anymore. Now they are made under the Kabuto brand, I have not used them since the name change. The OGK was quiet and very comfortable.
    2015 Spyder RT Special series Se6
    Really a mutant cross between a special series and a Limited.

Spyder Garage

I bought a HJC I 90 full face helmet.

It is quiet, it has space for speakers, it is light weight.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-22-2023 at 07:42 PM. Reason: quite (almost completely) - quiet (silence, lack of noise) ;-)

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Shoei GT-Air II with the Pinlock Visor & integrated Sun visor. Not cheap (especially here in Oz! ) but there's a pretty good size range and a variety of different sized pads & liners to suit most faces, altho you will need to check that the helmet shape itself fits your head. They've won awards for being significantly better ventilated & quieter than other helmets, and if you like Sena (not me - UClear Motion outperforms & works much better for me/my needs! ) there's an option that integrates one of their models (can't tell you which, I ditched it!) into the helmet.
    I agree with Peter here, I have and love this helmet. Were it all year long even in the hot summer - my head is worth it.
    Jim
    2017 F3-Limited

Spyder Garage

Schuberth C4 Pro, and as someone else said quiet, ventilated, and nice communication module.
    2023 Ryker Rally - Heritage White III
    Sport Windshield
    GPS Holder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting -- about 1/2 the responses include helmet sound systems (Sena, Uclear, etc). For any ride longer than 2 miles I use fitted ear plugs with my Bell SRT modular helmet. I also have a Bell Qualifier full face helmet with Uclear. Comparing helmets without ear plugs the modular is quieter. I think this is because the final head opening is smaller. Anyway I now ride with ear plugs to save what remains of my hearing ... although my wife says I have a listening problem too.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Call me crazy... but my choice of a helmet is the one that FITS, is COMFORTABLE, QUIET,
    I have had several helmets in my life and I always go with the fit and not the name.
    The brand name means nothing if the helmet is not quite right or comfortable. I seem to tell folks
    to go their local CYCLE GEAR or Motorcycle dealer and try on every helmet in their size until
    they find the one they like.
    Ok Crazy, lol. I beg to differ with you. If you (I) choose a helmet for comfort right off the shelf it will become loose fitting within less than a year if you ride very much. Just JMHO from personal experience. I prefer my helmet to fit snugly from the get go. If a spot does not break in and give way and continues to be uncomfortable I work with it until I get it the way I want it. Not too loose and not too tight. If the slipstream moves your helmet around it's way too loose.