Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Thanks all - ended up buying a 2008 when it was all said and done.

spyder2.jpg

Paid $7K Canadian as it sits with the Givi bags and some farkles. It should fit our needs quite well and I was happy with the price.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PrivatePilot; 01-28-2023 at 07:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Looks pretty nice

I was gonna ask, but going by all the white stuff on the ground in your pic, I guess that you haven't done too much riding so can't really tell us if it goes as nicely as it looks?!

Congrats anyway!

Now you'd better add that year/model detail to your Signature line to display with every post (drop me a PM if you have any hassles, but you should be able to add it via 'Settings' up in the Top Right corner of the page! ); and maybe start up a Spyder Garage entry with a few pics too? (that link's just to the Right of What's New in the Menu Line that starts with 'Home' ) Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
    Heya all. My wife is looking to go from 2 wheels to 3 wheels. I've found a 2011 RT manual a few hours from me that I'm considering going to see tomorrow. It isn't perfect but the seller has been very upfront about things, and it is priced appropriately.

I'm somewhat familiar with Spyders as we have a few friends who also own them, although neither of us have ever ridden one. I'm a lifelong 2 wheel rider with a lot of advanced rider training as well as being mechanically handy, so this might be an interesting winter project for me in the end and fun for both of us.

It sounds like it has sat for possibly up to 4-5 years with only occasional riding, and none in the last year or two. The battery was dead when he went to sell it. The biggest concern at this point is that the seller indicates that when the machine is started now (with a new battery) pretty much all the trouble indicators come on - engine, ABS, and the power steering.

He apparently did find a loose ground but repaired it and the issue persists. Otherwise apparently it starts and runs well. He is perfectly fine with a test ride, and like I said, has been very upfront about everything.

Is there any common issues with the 2011's that would cause the issues explained?

And anything else I should check that's a common problem on 11's?

Thanks for everyones time and advice.
    Excuse my ignorance, but can a bike "run well" when "pretty much all the trouble indicators come on - engine, ABS, and the power steering" ??

Like any mechanical device, bikes don't fair well if they have been collecting dust for a few years. I would pass on this project, because IMHO, it's more hassle than it's worth. However, if you're the type that likes projects, then more power to you.

For a few bucks more, I'd opt for a 2014 and later bike with the more powerful and efficient 1330 Triple. However, if you're the type who likes to wind out a motor, then I'm just typing words that won't matter.

Good luck !!
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 01-29-2023 at 01:01 PM. Reason: edit
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !