Spyder Garage

Default F3L Parking Brake locking on - any advice?

After backing out of the garage the parking brake would not release.

After checking a thread or two I loosened the adjusters on the cable at the caliper and removed the cable from its bracket. The brake was still partly held on, but at least I could push the bike back into the shed.

Today, as I went to release the cable further so that the brake was not binding I found that it had been activated again and was once more taut outside of the adjusting bracket, and unable to be moved. So much for being able to solve the problem with a 12 mm wrench!

I also found that the brake motor worked a couple of times after I switched on the ignition, but did not realise at the time what was happening, and it won't work again.

Any knowledgeable advice on what to do next?
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid

Spyder Garage

Solution:

You need a 13mm wrench as well, to remove the bolt that holds the parking brake caliper lever onto the caliper assembly.

Fancy having to carry a 12mm and 13mm wrench, and a pair of wheel chocks now.

Even though this should go through the recall for this problem (the recall expires at the end of January) how could anyone trust anything that BRP does? This is now the third or fourth major recall on a 2018 model that we have had for 7 months and added 6,000 miles to. No warning for this brake release failure.
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue off and on for about 6 months. Dealer checked it out and had fault codes. I had the parking brake motor replaced. No problem since.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

I too had the exact same parking brake problem about three years ago i.e. the rear brake would not release. I was able to get the brake loose by disconnecting the cable, then had it towed to the dealer. The whole parking brake assembly as well as the brake light switch were replaced under warranty. The tech showed me the defective one and said that he had repaired a number of Spyders with the same problem. In his opinion, and he is a Master Tech, the root cause of failure is the gears that set and release the parking brake. One gear is metal and the other is plastic. The metal gear looked fine, but the plastic gear was worn to the point that it would no longer engage with the metal gear. IMHO, and his as well, is that this is a really bad design. The metal gear chews up the plastic one and Bingo. Parking brake failure. Yet another example of BRP using inferior parts on a very expensive machine.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

In 2021, on my 2018 F3L, I had experienced the intermittent parking brake hang up problem several times. Fault codes popped up. Fortunately, I was able to release the brake by pressing the brake button several times, and or, turning the trike's ignition on and off and cursing.

Searching for the problem here, I discovered one member had made a metal extension for the brake's cable making it longer and that gave me an idea. I got out my shop manual and saw how to adjust the cable. I adjusted the cable to allow as much length as possible: see photo. To this day, many parking brake functions and miles later, I have not had a problem with the brake not releasing. Those fault codes went away.

Was it the fact the brake's motor, with its vulnerable plastic gear riding on a steel gear, was pulling the brake pads too hard against the rotor putting undue stress on those gears? Possibly. Could I be on borrowed time? Time will tell.

IMG_4871.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    After backing out of the garage the parking brake would not release.

After checking a thread or two I loosened the adjusters on the cable at the caliper and removed the cable from its bracket. The brake was still partly held on, but at least I could push the bike back into the shed.

Today, as I went to release the cable further so that the brake was not binding I found that it had been activated again and was once more taut outside of the adjusting bracket, and unable to be moved. So much for being able to solve the problem with a 12 mm wrench!

I also found that the brake motor worked a couple of times after I switched on the ignition, but did not realise at the time what was happening, and it won't work again.

Any knowledgeable advice on what to do next?
    I don't know what year your bike is, but there was a bulletin released regarding a parking brake problem with the 2018 model RT's and F3's. I don't know if this applies to your situation. I had a problem with my parking brake not releasing. I took the bike and this bulletin to my dealer. He replaced the parking brake motor.

parking brake bulletin1024_1.jpg

parking brake bulletin1024_2.jpg
    Last edited by gkamer; 01-21-2023 at 01:25 PM.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I have the dreaded parking brake motor not releasing. Can am won’t fix it because the bulletin has expired ��