Spyder Garage

Default What was BRP Thinking on the 2022 models and placement of the brake pedal?

I had my 2015 RT Limited in the shop today to get my replacement sprocket put on and a oil change. I sat on a 2022 RT-S in the showroom. My height is only 5'2" and my inseam is 24". Good grief....I can't be the only short operator out there, but my foot could NOT reach the brake pedal at all. The parts guy looked for a "Riser" and couldn't find one, but if BRP wants people to continue to purchase their SPYDERS they are going to have to make them conducive for ALL consumers, short and tall.

My 2015 I added a hand-brake lever, but hardly use it and I have NO issues with the brake pedal on the 2015.

So BRP designers or engineers really blew it on this new RT!

Anyone else out there experience this issue and if so, what work arounds did you find?

Brakes are the most important thing on any vehicle.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-17-2023 at 06:44 PM. Reason: read - reach ;-)
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Well, in my view, the engineers didn't blow it. They went to the middle range in height, whatever that is, maybe 5'8"?. If they made the seat/handlebars/brake pedal/SM shifter to fit the low end of the height scale, then midrange 5'8" riders would feel slightly cramped, and the really tall riders would REALLY be cramped. This goes for ALL kinds of motorcycles, they go to the midrange of ergos. I feel for the shorter riders, but I'm 6'1" so I don't have a problem. Some of the lady riders will have that fit problem.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-17-2023 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    I had my 2015 RT Limited in the shop today to get my replacement sprocket put on and a oil change. I sat on a 2022 RT-S in the showroom. My height is only 5'2" and my inseam is 24". Good grief....I can't be the only short operator out there, but my foot could NOT read the brake pedal at all. The parts guy looked for a "Riser" and couldn't find one, but if BRP wants people to continue to purchase their SPYDERS they are going to have to make them conducive for ALL consumers, short and tall.

My 2015 I added a hand-brake lever on but hardly use it and I have NO issues with the brake pedal on the 2015.

So BRP designers or engineers, really blew it on this new RT!

Anyone else out there experience this issue and if so, what work around did you do?

Brakes are the most important thing on any vehicle.

Thanks!
    Lamonster has floorboard risers that you can install and a brake pedal riser you can also install that will help with that issue. https://www.lamonstergarage.com/brake-riser/ and https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-...20-to-current/
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I use a brake pedal riser and a handle bar riser. Works good I am short too I ride a 2021 RTL
    Last edited by jtoro1; 01-17-2023 at 06:40 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It’s one of the reason I went with an F3 Ltd. I’m 5’1” with boots on and a 26” inseam and I had the same problem. After trying out a 2018 RT I found the ride height made it difficult for me to corner without slowing down. Even knowing the bike won’t roll, I just couldn’t feel comfortable cornering. The F3 is so much nicer due to the lower center of gravity.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    Well, in my view, the engineers didn't blow it. They went to the middle range in height, whatever that is, maybe 5'8"?. If they made the seat/handlebars/brake pedal/SM shifter to fit the low end of the height scale, then midrange 5'8" riders would feel slightly cramped, and the really tall riders would REALLY be cramped. This goes for ALL kinds of motorcycles, they go to the midrange of ergos. I feel for the shorter riders, but I'm 6'1" so I don't have a problem. Some of the lady riders will have that fit problem.
    ... ALL mass produced veh's are designed to fit the MAJORITY of possible users - ie. MOST short, medium, and tall/large people. ... What if BRP or any other company ONLY produced veh's to fit "little people" instead (ie. midgets & dwarves) instead of all those others? .... How many veh's would get sold ??????? ... I have complained about many things that BRP engineers do and have done for over a decade. .... But I don't see this one as a reasonable complaint ..... JMHO ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-17-2023 at 09:52 PM. Reason: ' 's + ... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I was in our local dealership Saturday and had pretty much the same experience. Don't you know engineers walk on water and you should not question their designs--that's according to them anyway.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Default Short legs.

I replaced my 2016 RT for a new 2021 S2S, the deal was done over email as the dealer is over 180 miles away. When I went to collect the bike I was not able to get on due to short legs and bad hips even though I had no trouble in the 5 years I had the RT. The solution was to make up 5in risers for the floorboards but only raise the brake pedal by 2in. This has proved perfect with no problems.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    ………. but if BRP wants people to continue to purchase their SPYDERS they are going to have to make them conducive for ALL consumers, short and tall.

So BRP designers or engineers really blew it on this new RT!
    Elembytes, I don’t believe that BRP “blew it”, by not making the new RT to fit really short people. That’s a bit self centred.

At 6’7”, I am at the opposite end of the spectrum to you, and the design on the new RT is not conducive to very tall people either, not without modifications. So, I did some research and bought a custom seat to lift me a couple of inches, lowered the brake pedal, bought some new bars, and a new screen. I know that there are brake, bars, and floorboard risers made for shorter people. The options are out there for both ends of the spectrum.

As Mike said earlier, manufacturers HAVE to cater to the high percentage of their potential buyers, and that is neither you nor me. It would be financial suicide to do otherwise. There’s a video around of some builders modifying a Spyder for someone who is only 4’ tall. Unfortunately, added expense for tall/short people just goes with the territory.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-20-2023 at 04:59 PM. Reason: ,'s ;-)
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

everything is based off the average adult male 5-9/ 190'ish pounds 40 inch waist

the brake pedal angle is absolutely horrific.

Spyder Garage

I'm 5' 7" with a 30" inseam. I noticed the same thing when I sat on a 2021 RT. I had to scoot forward in the seat a bit to comfortably touch the pedal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    I replaced my 2016 RT for a new 2021 S2S, the deal was done over email as the dealer is over 180 miles away. When I went to collect the bike I was not able to get on due to short legs and bad hips even though I had no trouble in the 5 years I had the RT. The solution was to make up 5in risers for the floorboards but only raise the brake pedal by 2in. This has proved perfect with no problems.

Thanks, I am wondering if that riser is good enough to help me out. I was very surprised how far away that pedal was. Not like my 2015 at all.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-20-2023 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display... ;-)
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Elembytes, I don’t believe that BRP “blew it”, by not making the new RT to fit really short people. That’s a bit self centred.

At 6’7”, I am at the opposite end of the spectrum to you, and the design on the new RT is not conducive to very tall people either, not without modifications. So, I did some research and bought a custom seat to lift me a couple of inches, lowered the brake pedal, bought some new bars, and a new screen. I know that there are brake, bars, and floorboard risers made for shorter people. The options are out there for both ends of the spectrum.

As Mike said earlier, manufacturers HAVE to cater to the high percentage of their potential buyers, and that is neither you nor me. It would be financial suicide to do otherwise. There’s a video around of some builders modifying a Spyder for someone who is only 4’ tall. Unfortunately, added expense for tall/short people just goes with the territory.

Pete
    Thank you for your reply. 6'7" wow must be nice! My wife is 5'10"- go figure that one out! LOL! I looked at the risers from Lamonster and they seem to help. It was nice to hear from Lamont himself say that they really didn't make it for short riders. So I am glad he's got some work arounds!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-20-2023 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    I'm 5' 7" with a 30" inseam. I noticed the same thing when I sat on a 2021 RT. I had to scoot forward in the seat a bit to comfortably touch the pedal.
    I was scooted as far forward as possible and still couldn't even reach the pedal without really over extending my right leg. As I mentioned before, my 2011 and my 2015 RT's never were an issue with the brake pedals at all.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-20-2023 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Well, I'm 6'3" and I find the brake pedal too close. I have a hard time braking when the bars are turned left because they hit my knee. I've seen brake pedal risers on one or two aftermarket sites for the vertically-challenged riders, but there's nothing I can do to move it further away for me.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slhanks004 View Post
    Well, I'm 6'3" and I find the brake pedal too close. I have a hard time braking when the bars are turned left because they hit my knee. I've seen brake pedal risers on one or two aftermarket sites for the vertically-challenged riders, but there's nothing I can do to move it further away for me.
    See post #9 above for some ideas.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Drop “SLICE’ a pm, Scott. He found a lowered rod on one of the 3rd party sites that he has installed for exactly that issue. The only reason I haven’t bought one is that my current solution of removing the stock thick brake rubber pad and replacing it with a 1mm thick rubber pad has effected the same resolution……but I also have a custom Daylong seat that has lifted me 2”….

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I am just 6 foot but have a 34 inch inseam and find the RT a bit cramped. I suspect there are just as many tall folks with issues as the OP and others who are vertically challenged.

If BRP made the bike for 26 inch inseam riders it would eliminate many of us as potential customers.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Palm Desert)
    Grey - dark edition

2015 Spyder F3 S (Vancouver)

2017 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PeterKelly View Post
    I am just 6 foot but have a 34 inch inseam and find the RT a bit cramped. I suspect there are just as many tall folks with issues as the OP and others who are vertically challenged.

If BRP made the bike for 26 inch inseam riders it would eliminate many of us as potential customers.
    And if they made them for those 6' and more, they would eliminate just as many. I'm 5'4" with a 27" inseam an sat on a '22 model about a week ago. I had to move all the way forward until the boys were uncomfortable in order to just barely use the brake pedal. I would definitely have to make all of the above-mentioned mods for the vertically challenged before I could ride one safely seeing as how your brakes are one of the primary safety features of any vehicle. Personal opinion is they should have made a horizontal adjustment in the brake pedal position. If engineers are as smart as they think they are, that should have been a simple no-brainer for them.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Our 2022 RTL fits me perfect, But I do agree there should have been some adjustability built into these and it could have been done very easily.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

you need this, it has saved me from selling the spyder........SERIOUSLY!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSF_...SLICEofAmerica

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    Our 2022 RTL fits me perfect, But I do agree there should have been some adjustability built into these and it could have been done very easily.
    There was obviously some thought put in to brake pedal positioning by BRP engineers, Rick, as they deliberately removed some teeth from the sprocket so the brake position could not be clocked forward. I guess they were worried that customers would clock the pedal so far down that it would render the brake ineffective.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.