Spyder Garage

Default Looking for better handling Tires on a 2015 F3-S?

Hi we have Two 2015 F3-S SE , both ride fairly aggressive looking for a better handling tire any advice would be helpful thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-17-2023 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2015 F3S , silver

Spyder Garage

Front Yokohama AVID 175/55R15
    Rear Yokohama ADVAN Fleeva 205/55R15

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

UTQG rating is a good place to start searching, eg:https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Or even better tires are anything from Vredestein that fits the front and or rear ..... JMHO .... Mike Go to Tirerack and check out the ratings for all tires above and then you decide ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Or even better tires are anything from Vredestein that fits the front and or rear ..... JMHO .... Mike Go to Tirerack and check out the ratings for all tires above and then you decide ...
    Having ridden bikes with both and long experience with the MADE IN USA Yokos, ON SPYDERS. I will have to disagree.

Besides, customer ratings of tires on a Volvo station wagon have very little to nothing to offer a Spyder owner. Also on Tire Rack's site, you cannot compare ratings for tires in different use classes. The numbers do not correlate.

Then again, either choice is FAR better than the OEM Chinese junk.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Having ridden bikes with both and long experience with the MADE IN USA Yokos, ON SPYDERS. I will have to disagree.

Besides, customer ratings of tires on a Volvo station wagon have very little to nothing to offer a Spyder owner. Also on Tire Rack's site, you cannot compare ratings for tires in different use classes. The numbers do not correlate.

Then again, either choice is FAR better than the OEM Chinese junk.
    " you cannot compare ratings for tires in different use classes " ..... actually you can ... using Tire Science to determine the proper PSI, an Auto tire is better ( for many technical reasons ) than the OEM tires that are on the Spyders when they are built & sold ..... my opinion is a result of my schooling and the decades I spent as a certified accident investigator.... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ah an oil thread - er tyre thread.

I fitted these to the front and like them very much.

ku 1 20220615_154714.jpg

Edit.
    We have a different surface from you northern guys. No concrete and not so much hot-mix cept on the motorways. I do ride gravel, shock horror and its most coarse chip with tar elsewhere.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 01-18-2023 at 12:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

" you cannot compare ratings for tires in different use classes " ..... actually you can ... using Tire Science to determine the proper PSI, an Auto tire is better ( for many technical reasons ) than the OEM tires that are on the Spyders when they are built & sold ..... my opinion is a result of my schooling and the decades I spent as a certified accident investigator.... Mike
    " certified accident investigator" haha me too.

Friction co-efficiency may be a little less as there is less weight but then its lighter and wont need as much so maybe cancels out? maybe but I haven't noticed in a riding or braking scenario. Stops on a dime. Plenty of grip all round.

Spyder Garage

Which AVID tires are these .... there are 16 different models ... ????? ....thanks ..Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Yokohoma makes great tires

The Yokohama Avid S34FA 175/55R15 is a Passenger All-Season tire (320BA). Available at Amazon, Tire Rack. Tire Rack reviews not so good.

The Yokohama ADVAN Fleeva 205/55R15 is a Ultra High Performance Summer tire (300AAA). Went to Amazon, several Spyder buyers were very happy. Went to Tire Rack who provided this warning
    Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Ultra High Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage. Tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 01-18-2023 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Added Tire Rack review note
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Which AVID tires are these .... there are 16 different models ... ????? ....thanks ..Mike
    Yokohama AVID S34FA 175/55R15. Its actually the only AVID in this size.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    The Yokohama Avid S34FA 175/55R15 is a Passenger All-Season tire (320BA). Available at Amazon, Tire Rack. Tire Rack reviews not so good.

The Yokohama ADVAN Fleeva 205/55R15 is a Ultra High Performance Summer tire (300AAA). Went to Amazon, several Spyder buyers were very happy. Went to Tire Rack who provided this warning
    Long history with many sets of these tires in Spyder service (both myself and MANY customers) have shown the complaints expressed by car owners do not apply when used on the MUCH lighter weight Spyder. Routinely get well over 50k miles from sets of the front tires. I replaced mine at over 70k when I got a puncture and was approaching the 8 year mark. As for the temp warning, it again really does not apply for the light weight Spyder. They do have less traction down well below freezing...most all high traction tires do. But they flex and warm up just fine. I personally have used them down to 16deg and I doubt many Spyder owners use them that cold much less need maximum traction at that temp. On the flip side, at normal temperatures, the Performance Advan Fleeva has significantly better straight line traction than either the OEM Kenda or the Vredestein or General passenger car tires. This results in much better off the line acceleration on the Spyder.

Great traction, longer life, amazing predicable handling dynamics with great feedback and a smooth quiet ride when not being push to the limits. Just a great combination for a Spyder tire. And did I mention they are MADE IN USA?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Yokohama AVID S34FA 175/55R15. Its actually the only AVID in this size.
    Thanks - that tire is so new it hasn't been tested yet ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post

Thanks for your interest ..... during normal temp's that Fleeva isn't a great tire either ..... but what do I know, decades of Accident Investigation experience and actual schooling from Experts ..... Mike