Spyder Garage

Default Is there a seating position chart?

Hey all - as per another thread here, I'm on the hunt for a 2010-2014'ish (based on the budget) Spyder.

Ideally looking for an RT, but considering others.

Seating angle will be a big thing as she has shoulder problems. Unfortunately in the 2008-2015 year range it seems like there's a million different models and I'm getting overwhelmed trying to sort out the ergos on all of them.

I know when it comes to motorcycles there's a few websites that show ergos for all the different models (https://cycle-ergo.com/), but there's just not a lot of spyder models listed there.

Is there any sort of chart available here, or can anyone reference the "most sporty/least ergo" to "most comfortable/best ergos"?

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In a nutshell, the RT models have you sitting ON the bike. Rather upright, much like an older motorcycle.

The F3 models are lower, feeling more like you are sitting IN the bike. It's a lot like cruiser-style motorcycles with the feet-forward posture.

I don't know much about the ST models, but I am under the impression that they are pretty much like the RT. The difference is that the RT comes with all the luggage.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Haven’t tried them all to say 100% but the GS,RS,ST more upright almost sport like position, rider could lean more forward or back if desired , the floorboards allow more range. RT more cruiser position. Definitely should visit a dealer try the various adjustments on F3 & rykers. Maybe they even have some illustrations or something

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PP -- tell us more

1. About your wife's shoulder problem. Eg range of motion, strength for lifting/pushing, stiffness

2. About your travel plans. Sunday ride to brunch, day ride to farmer's market, weekend at friends, vacation in Victoria Island, ...

Without knowing more, you probably want the RT with big floorboards and a fold-down driver's backrest to make mount/dismounts easier. If your rides are day-long or less, save money with the 990 engine else get the 1330 engine. Also look into spending some bucks on heated gear -- seating, grips, outlets for vest/gloves. Riding in open air can really suck the heat out of your body leading to aches and pains and dangerous fatigue -- which again points to an RT.

And last big question -- can you do your own maintenance? This is a big factor budget-wise. Spyder's don't need all that much and for the most part it's easy but dealer labor is pricey.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 01-22-2023 at 10:36 PM. Reason: fix typo
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’m short and found the ST to be a reach and there was no adjustment I could make. The RT’s have only one handlebar adjustment and that is to buy the Tri-Axis handlebars. ((2014-2019) the newer RT’s along with the F3’s can be adjusted to fit but the RT’s are for a taller person. I couldn’t reach the brake pedal.

I ride an F3 Ltd and it comes with full luggage. I’ve had all three.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Depending on your budget, and how often and how you plan on riding. If you are more of a feet forward person, then the F3 series is what will be needed. If that is not in the budget, the Ryker is another option with feet forward, but not really built for longer rides. If you are looking to get in on a budget, one of the older RT or ST models might work. If longer rides are in the future, I would look at the 2014 and up RT with the 1330. If shorter rides or budget is where you are, consider the older RT or maybe the ST. The ST is more of a sport touring position, but you can replace the standard handle bars with some bars off a RT and have more of an upright position. A good place to look is on Marketplace (facebook). The key will be to be patient and wait on the right deal. Good luck with your search.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

How about a couple of photos? One is me and my granddaughter. I am 6'1" and my granddaughter is around 5'4". The other pic is my wife sitting on the bike modeling her new adjustable foot pegs. She is 5'2". This may help you see how the seating is on our 2015 RT.
    image000001.jpg new pegs.jpg
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Private Pilot. Here is a link to a website that helps to explain models and equipment. Hope it helps.

https://www.autoevolution.com/moto/can-am/spyder/
    2015 F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
    Hi Private Pilot. Here is a link to a website that helps to explain models and equipment. Hope it helps.

https://www.autoevolution.com/moto/can-am/spyder/
    Thanks! I found this website a week or so back and have been using it quite a lot for reference already, although there's two challenges I've been finding is that a lot of people are horrible with including the specifics on the model they are selling (An RT is obvious, the others seem to start to blend together a little), and some others don't even seem to know or care to provide details. It's terrible trying to pry info out of people trying to sell their stuff sometimes lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    PP -- tell us more

1. About your wife's shoulder problem. Eg range of motion, strength for lifting/pushing, stiffness

2. About your travel plans. Sunday ride to brunch, day ride to farmer's market, weekend at friends, vacation in Victoria Island, ...

Without knowing more, you probably want the RT with big floorboards and a fold-down driver's backrest to make mount/dismounts easier. If your rides are day-long or less, save money with the 990 engine else get the 1330 engine. Also look into spending some bucks on heated gear -- seating, grips, outlets for vest/gloves. Riding in open air can really suck the heat out of your body leading to aches and pains and dangerous fatigue -- which again points to an RT.

And last big question -- can you do your own maintenance? This is a big factor budget-wise. Spyder's don't need all that much and for the most part it's easy but dealer labor is pricey.
    Shoulder issues are common rotator cuff issues, but manageable. I know that the steering is heavier on a Spyder than a bike, but that's moot. What will be more important is how her arms fall onto the bars in the end, the more neutral the better.

Type for riding for her is typically 3-5 hour day rides with lots of stops. Occasional, maybe once or twice a year a longer destination ride for 2-4 days. Luggage space isn't a massive concern (so an RT isn't "essential" from that perspective) as I ride a full dresser 2 wheeler and can haul a lot of luggage on my own bike. Between mine and the frunk on a spyder we're fine.

We are both experienced riders. Lifelong for me, 5+ years now for my wife. We have lots of gear including heated etc already so no concerns there. Pretty much any Spyder will be an improvement from the perspective of wind and weather protection vs her current motorcycle.

As for maintenance, I do most of it myself and have a well equipped garage. Anything short of an engine rebuild (and I've done those too in the past but have lost interest in that sort of stuff now lol) will be done on my own, so there's no concern about upkeep on an older machine.

As for the 2014 and up with the 1330 vs the 990, budget dictates we will probably in the 2014 and under range. Although I ride a lot (20,000-30,000km a year), my wife usually rides maybe 5000km tops. Can't justify a ton of money sitting there in the garage not getting used a ton, especially living where we do where the bikes sit for 6 months of the year to begin with. I may ride it occasionally but any long/serious rides, I'm pretty partial to my 2 wheels still.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
    Is there any sort of chart available here, or can anyone reference the "most sporty/least ergo" to "most comfortable/best ergos"?

Thanks
    I don't know of any comprehensive seating charts for the Spyders, but they exist for individual Spyder models. Your best bet is to look for product information on the Can Am website for various years and models of Spyders. Google might be the best tool. Add "site:brp.com" to your search terms. For the RT all models from 2010 to 2019 will be pretty much the same. I think all F3s to date will be much the same. RTs from 2020 to 2023 will be the same.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If your wife's arm position is of utmost importance, and sounds like it is, be prepared to use an adjustable or a fixed position optional bar of some sort.

In line with the other comments the only available adjustable handlebar option for the 2010 to 2019 RTs is the Tri-Axis bar. It works pretty good but there is one limitation to it. As you move the grips forward or back the angle they make with respect to the bike centerline changes, becoming less perpendicular as you bring them closer to the seat. The result is the rider's wrists will be angled more outward than when the grips are farther forward. The Tri-Axis has the advantage of being readily adjustable, requiring only a supplied hex wrench and a couple of minutes to make a change.

The after market HeliBars will provide the widest range of adjustments for F3s and 2020+ RTs. How long it takes to change the adjustment I can't say as I've never used them. CanAm short and long reach optional bars for the same Spyders offer some adjustments to the arm position, but they are a fixed configuration.

There are some risers available but I don't the particulars of what's available.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No, there is not a seating position chart. As has been said already, there is the upright position of the RT and the more reclined position of the F3. The RT can be customized somewhat with the adjustable handlebars and different saddles. I don't know much about the other models.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 01-23-2023 at 08:31 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Cycle Ergo will give you a good idea of the different bikes and how you will fit. https://cycle-ergo.com You can input your height and inseam and can even add a passenger with their data as well.

image_2023-01-24_171003193.jpg

image_2023-01-24_171054210.png

image_2023-01-24_171120990.jpg

image_2023-01-24_171356931.jpg
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PP -- IdahoMountainSpyder provided the best answer. Save money buying the 990 model and then use that money to accessorize for riding comfort (eg Tri-Axis bars which are quite expensive, folding drivers backrest, maybe floorboards). You will have to make some wiring changes to accommodate the heated gear but many have already done that. Unless of cource you luck into a 1330 already accessorized within your budget. Best wishes.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike