Spyder Garage

Default Any before & after info on Elka suspension upgrades?

Morning all,
    I know this has been beaten to death, but I’m considering upgrading to the Elka stage 2 for my 2012 RT. I’m a bigger guy at 260# and ride two up a lot. I have the Baja Ron sway bar, and went to a 2014 spring and shock in the rear with some improvement handling.
    I am looking for folks seat of the pants impressions with the elkas. Not a ton of spirited riding with passenger, but the roads here in north eastern PA are frequently twisty, off camber and in poor condition . I’ll take every edge I can get.
    Anyone want to give me an idea of before and after?

Thanks
    Derrick

Spyder Garage

So are you ideally trying to get a more stable cornering experience, and better comfort on the ride, Derrick?

You’ll find aftermarket shocks tailored to your weight and riding style will give you both. I’m 310, and was primarily after something to absorb jolts from the rough roads out here. On both my ‘16 F3-L (Wilbers) and my ‘21 RT-L (which has pretty good stock suspension) (Ikon) aftermarket shocks gave me that. I didn’t go with Elka primarily because ship costs out here are crazy lately, and Ikon is an Aussie company which I like to support.

They certainly made a difference for me….

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I put the Elka's on my 2021 RT and am very happy with them. First ride on my 1/2 mile gravel road I could tell I had better shocks going over some rough spots. They were enough of an improvement I didn't go with the Baja Ron. It made cornering smoother and smoothed out the rough tarmac roads. I weigh 165 lbs.
    2021 Spyder RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Ikons

My Ikons https://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/pr...ies-7613-1006/ provide a supple ride without stiction. I weigh 180lbs.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 01-16-2023 at 04:43 PM. Reason: corrected typo
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

When I bought my 2014 RTL it had Elka's on the front. They shortly needed new seals. While they were off being rebuilt, I put the OEM shocks on in order to keep riding. The Elka's went back on as soon as they came back from the factory. Seat of the pants...... hard to describe the difference. Just better in all conditions. It took me a while to get the shocks dialed in to my preference but after doing that, I liked them a lot. I, too, had the Baja Ron bar and am about your size. Bottom line...... Elka vs OEM make a noticeable improvement. (Seat of the pants speaking)
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I have the Elkas on my 20 RT. From what I've read on this forum, the 20+ Spyders have better oem shocks than prior years. If that's true, I can tell you that even the newer oem shocks couldn't handle my type of riding (spirited and NE Pa/NJ rds). I also had a BajaRon bar with the oem shocks. I put on the Elkas and all aspects of control improved. Cornering on harsh roads became more stabile, expansion joints got softer (not eliminated), even less roll than before.

You may only need BajaRon's shock kit instead of new shocks if weight is the issue. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...rs-amp-Helmets

Scroll down a ways and check it out.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No matter what, you will see a much better experience with the Elka's over the OEM.

I fitted Wilburs and only needed reverse out of my garage a few feet to see the difference. If they are anything like mine you'll get better handling better wet weather grip, some anti-dive in the front under brakes, better cornering and an end to the nervousness RT's get in rough corners, less vibration and shudder. if you like to ride a little on the quick side - i.e. outrunning your mates on their Harleys you do it easily
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input all,
    Looks like I will be adding the Elka stage 2 this spring.

Thanks again,
    Derrick

Spyder Garage

Taking a hard look at the M2 shocks as well, seem well reviewed. I like that they are made to order and made here in the US.

Spyder Garage

I have the Elka stage 2 on my 2015 F3-S.
    I am 300 lbs.
    It took a couple weeks of riding and adjusted the spring preload and rebound damping to get them right.
    They are still harsh on sudden big bumps and extremely rough road, as in your head will rattle like a paint can once in a while,
    but the bike sticks like glue at all times and cornering control is excellent.
    That's the trade off.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RTS and almost always ride 2 up...Me 260 Her 180...Have had Elka's since 2014...They have leaked and been repaired 3 times...The 4th time they leaked I again removed them and will NOT spend another dime on them...

Everytime my Elka's failed I put my stock shocks back on...They have the Baja Ron adjustor kit on them...I cannot tell the difference between the Elka's and the stock shocks with the Baja Ron Adjustors...

Just my experience...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Out of curiosity when you order your Ikon or Elka shocks, do they ask rider weights + riding style + preferred riding style + clearance you'd like?
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Out of curiosity when you order your Ikon or Elka shocks, do they ask rider weights + riding style + preferred riding style + clearance you'd like?
    I can only speak for the Ikon, where they fit the spring to the customer size, Askitee. They then only have 4 adjustments for rebound. Soft, bit harder, bit more hard, hard……to suit riding style. That’s why they are a bit cheaper, but that system certainly works if you are not looking to ride IOM. “Bit harder” is for two up or large riders like myself, “bit more hard” is for aggressive two up, while “hard” is unfathomable. They do NOT ask about what clearance you would like. Wilbers is the same, but they have far more control over rebound with their hydraulic, on-the-fly, adjuster. Wilbers, also, do not discuss clearance.

I’ll know a bit more about Ikon clearance philosophies tomorrow, when Ikon calls me back

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    When I ordered my Wilburs I needed to weigh myself and chief cook with gear on (the 2nd of which was a bit of delicate subject), what riding style (sport, touring, mixed), go lower or higher in ride height ( I took the 19mm lower ), how much time two up vs single, and do I tow a trailer, will I actively adjust them. All this went into the order - mine have the rear remote rebound adjustment.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White