Spyder Garage

Default 2019 RT Ltd - Key error & starting difficulties - any ideas?

Hi,

We have a new to us 2019 Can am Spyder RT limited with only 3675 miles. Battery went flat as the charger we had hooked up to it went offline during a power outage. When we tried to start it, the dash gave a <check key-wrong key> message. Now we had left the key in but not turned on during the real cold spell in Atlanta (6*F)

I took the key out and warmed it up in my hand inside the house while browsing for new starter batteries, JIC ... Then I took the key back out the garage and inserted it...the message disappeared and of course the bike then started albeit very slow cranking. ONCE.... I did see 3 codes but did not write them down. Lesson learned there...edited ...got it to go to diagnostic codes P0513 listed

I ran the bike for about 10 miles to charge the battery up. Then hooked up my new Battery tender 1.25a (on battery backup) to keep it charged up. 13.1 volts so good to go. Put the key in and same message (check key wrong key) this time the message wont clear and it won't go forward to the dash to get codes. Nor will it even turn over....

So, anything I can try? Any one local with Buds2 to get into the ECU and see if resetting it will clear everything? I will go get a new battery in the meantime.... although I don't think it is bad.

BTW I have both keys, and both do the same thing so yes, I tried that.... do the keys have batteries in them?

Leaving an email here: memer02@att.net so that if anyone local in Atlanta has a BUDS2 scanner tool they can get in touch with me...

Thanks,

Milburn
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2023 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 4 inch brake pedal extender SlingMods Phoenix Orange black wheel edition

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Although the 1330 engine Spyders have excellent charging systems ... 10 miles won't charge a marginal battery ..... if you have a charger for auto's - follow the directions considering the fact your Battery is smaller ..... Spyders have a huge battery draw when starting (maybe more than your car's) ..... also, we recommend battery .... MAINTAINERS .... which are different than chargers. .... you can jump start your Spyder with an auto battery - I don't recommend having the car running, that battery will easily start your Spyder .... good luck .... Mike .... PS - the 1330 Spyder doesn't need to be on a maintainer all the time - however your battery is very run down at this time sooooooooooooooo .....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2023 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A good battery shouldn't lose its charge in three years. However, you don't know what you're dealer put in your spyder when they prepped it. BK is spot on with his advice. You may do your ride a good turn by giving it a new battery, but check it out (test it) first. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Keep in mind that in a 2019 Spyder, if it was early production, your battery could be close to 5 years old since manufacture. A new battery will help out a lot. Plus you'll get the opportunity to clean all the terminal ends when you install it. The keys do not have batteries in them. I have BUDS2, but I'm about 4 hours north of you.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I appreciate all the advice. I left the Battery tender (maintainer ) on again for 2 days (1.25 amp ) It said the battery was fully charged.

Tried to start the bike and got the check key message again...but this time no fault codes were reported.....bike would not even go to the crank stage as the message kept popping up. i tested the battery and got 13.0 V from my multi meter.
    I tried the foil trick to shield the key switch (DESS amplifer issue ) from outside EMF interference . After several failed attempts it suddenly went past the check key error and i started the bike. Cranked over just fine. Again no fault codes reported..

Drove it about 15 miles , stopped several times and shut off/restarted. no issues. So I got back to the house and shut off/restart 2-3 times. no issues. If it was a key /DESS issues as reported, I would have thought it would have stranded me on the road . if there was high EMF interfering with the key at my house, i would have expected it to show the key error after i got back to the house and did the shut off/restart trial.

I have a new AGM battery on order from Batteries Plus and will install that as soon as it comes in. The battery terminals are not crudded up but I will clean them to shiny metal before installing the battery. Once i get all that done i will report back as to if that fixes it.

If battery doesnt fix then im gonna reach out to Jet Fixer on the forum here who has the Buds2 tool and see if he has the MegaTech license and can disable the DESS like so many people have reported on the earlier RTLimited's to eliminate the issue.

Thanks again !!
    Last edited by WRCLVR; 01-19-2023 at 09:43 AM.
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 4 inch brake pedal extender SlingMods Phoenix Orange black wheel edition

Spyder Garage

So been a while but update neways.
    Brand new 12V battery with correct AH. Also bought a Battery Tender and hooked it up while replacing the battery. Started straight up once..... then started giving the check key error P0513. on both keys. Wont crank over at all...
    Sigh... local dealer wont disable DESS. And they say they do not have the MegaTech license... And if I could find someone , I would have to have it trailered to them. I am so screwed here.....
    Does anyone know of someone local to Marietta GA that i can have them disable the DESS system. If so please PM me....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    So been a while but update neways.
    Brand new 12V battery with correct AH. Also bought a Battery Tender and hooked it up while replacing the battery. Started straight up once..... then started giving the check key error P0513. on both keys. Wont crank over at all...
    Sigh... local dealer wont disable DESS. And they say they do not have the MegaTech license... And if I could find someone , I would have to have it trailered to them. I am so screwed here.....
    Does anyone know of someone local to Marietta GA that i can have them disable the DESS system. If so please PM me....
    IF you had/have a DESS issue the instrument screen will be ORANGE and bike will not start .... this will indicate you have a DESS failure. Have your Battery - LOAD TESTED , most auto parts stores will do it for free. .... possibly your NEW battery wasn't fully charged .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Appreciate it Mike...
    i charged the new battery up for 24 hours using my battery tender before installing it. Tested it with multi meter after install and before after the bike was running. 13.9v with the bike running at idle. 12.7v with bike off.
    Screen shows the orange "check key" message at top left of the screen as soon as you turn the key on and it goes thru its intialization. Rest of the screen shows normal colors so i'm not sure what you mean by "the instrument screen will be orange" ...Bike will not start, wont turn over at all. even with the Battery Tender attached and active as well. I have tried all the advice on this forum and another one including spraying the key slot with contact cleaner. BTW the battery shows 12.7v again today when i tested it before trying to start it.....
    The little battery indicator on the dash showed 100% yesterday when it failed to start too. Today it was showing ~80% after trying again.
    I will take your advice and take the battery out to Batteries Plus and have them do a load check on it...

i may try to jump it with a car battery to ensure full voltage. if it starts with no key issue, then the battery is going back to Batteries Plus as it is only ~ 2 months old

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WRCLVR -- I think your multimeter is about 0.5V low. Those voltages should be more like 14.4V running and 13.2V resting for a new battery.

WRT indicator 20% drop, check your brake light after you turned off the engine. It's an Always-On circuit so a bad switch will leave it lit. Same for horn but you'd hear that.

I've also read (service manual? this forum?) that some portion of the electronics (certainly console) remains "alert" for about 40 minutes after Ignition-Off. Perhaps leaving the key in the ignition extends this alert period thereby draining the battery faster.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Appreciate it Mike...
    i charged the new battery up for 24 hours using my battery tender before installing it. Tested it with multi meter after install and before after the bike was running. 13.9v with the bike running at idle. 12.7v with bike off.
    Screen shows the orange "check key" message at top left of the screen as soon as you turn the key on and it goes thru its intialization. Rest of the screen shows normal colors so i'm not sure what you mean by "the instrument screen will be orange" ...Bike will not start, wont turn over at all. even with the Battery Tender attached and active as well. I have tried all the advice on this forum and another one including spraying the key slot with contact cleaner. BTW the battery shows 12.7v again today when i tested it before trying to start it.....
    The little battery indicator on the dash showed 100% yesterday when it failed to start too. Today it was showing ~80% after trying again.
    I will take your advice and take the battery out to Batteries Plus and have them do a load check on it...

i may try to jump it with a car battery to ensure full voltage. if it starts with no key issue, then the battery is going back to Batteries Plus as it is only ~ 2 months old
    24 hour charge with a Battery Tender may not have been enough. Be aware that if the battery voltage drops below 10.5 when you hit the starter the Spyder won't start. The days of cranking over a motor with a half dead battery are long gone. Also, a voltage check can be meaningless. A battery that has no real oomph left in it will still show nearly full voltage. That's why a load test is the only way to determine if the battery is good.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Appreciate it Mike...

My own 18 F3L has started this weird check key message as well. I replaced my battery this year and I ride all year around. It does not sit in the garage for months. Maybe 2 weeks max.

Did you ever get this resolved?
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

take a ryde up to gaffney sc.. i can disable your dess system for you.. wlll take care of any key errors
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come