Spyder Garage

Default Oil In Ryker Way Overfilled - but where are the Leaks from?

Called the dealer that I just bought the 2022 Ryker Sport from. Put near 500 miles on it and it has been leaking oil on the garage floor for the three weeks I have owned it. No leaks sitting. Just getting wet while operating it. Dealer said they serviced it before i picked it up. Stupid me for not checking and then checking it wrong.

Cold the oil level was below the full mark. Maybe just above the middle between "full" and "add". Today I did the correct reading by riding, getting it hot, letting it idle and then do a fast shut off and check. Way too high.

Called the dealer's service. Asked if it was reasonable to stick a tube down the filler and suck oil out. OK on that and if still leaking to bring it to them. After trial and error, sucking 100 cc out each time. It ended up correct while hot with 270cc sucked out. That's about a 9 oz overfill. Watching it now with paper under the bike after a clean and then long ride. Dealer says there is no place for overfilled oil to vent out. So why the leak?

There were no leaks around either drain plugs. Saw nothing under the sump but did see oil wet down the side of the engine on the filler tube side. That then dripped off the front of the skid plate and frame. At no time did I notice a drop in the oil level when I checked cold but wrong. Do not think it was all that much oil leaking as a little oil can sure make a big mess.

Any clue where it might have been leaking from or what can leak if overfilled?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

o ring on fill tube

Spyder Garage

The oil filler itself and the dip-stick tube are the usual suspects, but if you've got or had waaay too much oil in the engine for any real length of time, it can end up being 're-circulated' thru the Positive Crankcase Ventilation System & blown back into the air box under the air filter!

For those who may not be aware, this PCV system is an 'emission reduction' requirement on all modern IC Engines that replaces the old 'blow it out to atmosphere' (or dump it onto the roadway! ) vent tube that used to reduce blow-by pressure build up under the rocker cover on these types of engines - it effectively takes any fumes that get past the valve guides or piston rings & end up being vented into the valve area under the rocker cover, & sucks/pumps them into the air intake duct after the air filter where any fumes can be sucked into the cylinders and burnt... so when too much oil in the engine creates excessive 'wet fumes' in any of the areas not actually inside the cylinders, all of those ultimately leak out anywhere they can or they can get pushed into the air duct... and once there, if the accumulation of wet oily 'fumes' gets bad enough & they re-condense into liquid, that liquid can end up filling the filtered side of the air filter box & either leaking out of the box itself (you hope!) or being sucked/pumped into the compression side of the cylinders/combustion chambers! But since that sort of liquid charge CANNOT be compressed, you REALLY don't want that to happen cos the result is NOT GOOD!!

It's not reeaally all that likely to get that far simply cos there's too many other places for oil to leak out, but it's not impossible and it has happened; so if it does happen to you/your engine, ie. you get enough liquid oil collecting &/or running thru that inlet duct into a cylinder, it could possibly hydraulic the engine & literally blow it up - busted crank, holed piston, broken valves, blown block type 'blow up'!! So given that you KNOW you had too much oil in the engine AND there's been some oil leaking out from who knows where, I'd suggest that you should CHECK & CLEAN YOUR AIR FILTER HOUSING & AIR DUCTS TO REMOVE EXCESSIVE OIL as a matter of some priority! With any luck, you'll find them all clean & dry, but if not, & instead they're wet & oily, or worse, there's puddles of oil in there anywhere, you should be thankful you got it early enough & dodged that particular very expensive bullet!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-11-2023 at 06:03 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Will study out the bottom of that dipstick tube. Think both filter intakes are clean and dry. Took a ride after hosing off the underneath of the bike using S100.

Couple test rides while dropping the oil level were not washed down after each. When I finally got it to the proper level, hot, off I went. Parked it and put newspaper under the bike. Later saw a drop coming off the bottom plate. Will need to ride and check more as there still could be residual oil on things that has not dropped or gotten cleaned away.

Appreciate the ideas.

Spyder Garage

Probably coming out at the fill tube like my RT did when the clean up boy at the dealership overfilled it by a quart. The drops you are seeing are probably residual oil and it may go on for awhile. That was the first and last time a dealership ever touched my Spyder.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Do not yet have the final answer as temperatures have chilled down a bit, making test rides difficult. Did clean off the undercarriage and ride maybe 40 miles. Saw no sign of more oil dripping. Still a bit wet underneath so I cleaned and dried it all best as I could. One short ride did not show me any more oil wet, motor or undercarriage. Hoping the reduction of oil to a proper amount solved the problem. If so I am curious where that oil was coming from since navy, dealer and here, have told me there is no real place for it to leak unless a gasket is faulty somewhere. Air box plenums on both sides are dry.

Two days of sitting with newspaper under the bike has showed nothing. Hot days coming again this Tuesday. A good ride and check will show. Oh...close look at the bottom of the oil filler tube where it enters the engine showed no evidence of there ever being a leak there.

Spyder Garage

That leak is over. Did not find out where it came from. After sucking oil out of the dipstick, the oil level is correct.

My take is overfilling can cause a leak as extra oil is expelled from somewhere. I looked and that "somewhere" is not the base of the oil filler/dipstick tube. No oil ever was present on either air intake. It's one of life's mysteries.