Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Filters, (K&N or not), Oil, Tires, now this. You guys just love arguing and trying to prove your point as if others really care about YOUR point. I LOVE what my Pedal Box has done for my Spyder. The OP roguehawk hasn't even chipped in since he thanked the early responders and you few are just arguing "politics".
    HEY, have ANY Pedal Box or Pedal Commander owners Removed them because they didn't get what they expected.
    I get some of you want "something" that others may not "understand", but you're beating a dead horse here. Now my oil is better than yours and I can look up internet stats to prove it.
    (But, I'll accede that BlueKnight Mike is always right about tires, He is, and I always look to his latest recommendations when buying new tires, Thank-you Mike).
    Just trying to end on an up note!
    Have you noticed that the above topics are usually debated during the WINTER months ..... Also thank you for your faith in my thoughts on tires. ..... ( but I wouldn't say " I'm always right " .... close but not always ) .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Filters, (K&N or not), Oil, Tires, now this. You guys just love arguing and trying to prove your point as if others really care about YOUR point. I LOVE what my Pedal Box has done for my Spyder. The OP roguehawk hasn't even chipped in since he thanked the early responders and you few are just arguing "politics".
    HEY, have ANY Pedal Box or Pedal Commander owners Removed them because they didn't get what they expected.
    I get some of you want "something" that others may not "understand", but you're beating a dead horse here. Now my oil is better than yours and I can look up internet stats to prove it.
    (But, I'll accede that BlueKnight Mike is always right about tires, He is, and I always look to his latest recommendations when buying new tires, Thank-you Mike).
    Just trying to end on an up note!
    I'm not arguing politics; I'm having a technical discussion on how Pedal Commander works, what it does and cannot do. If you don't care to participate, move on.

I've never criticized anyone for using a Pedal Commander, and I won't. If you like it, fine.

The OP chimed in at post #37.

As I stated, I had a Sprint Booster on my car - Sprint Booster claims to have invented the technology 16 years ago. I took it off. I've seen used Ryker Pedal Commanders for sale, so I guess I am not the only one.

My complaint with Pedal Commander is the false claims made about their product. The most egregious one is this, made by Pedal Commander:

"The Pedal Commander will basically bypass the ECU in the vehicle. The controller is designed to take the information right from the accelerator pedal position sensor and compile it in a high speed controller circuit. It also slightly advances that number and then sends it directly to the ECU. By sending the information to the computer this way, a couple of checks that the engine computer will make can be bypassed before sending the signal to open the throttle plate."

Look at the way that Pedal Commander is connected. How is this possible? I repeatedly asked the Pedal Commander representative how this "bypass" is done, and he dodged the question every time. Why? Because it is not true and not possible.

Spyder Garage

Just a little FYI from personal experience...........

If you get too much punch off the line, and get a good hook up with the rear rubber, you can call somebody to bring your trailer and order a new drive belt.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

All I can say is that with 2 similar bikes, and the only difference being pedal box (or pedal commander), vs no pedal box (or commander), the one with the pedal box has always won when it comes to being able to come off the line. Even if the pedal box just increases reaction time, it still does the job. And yes, I know that it doesn't give any hp additions.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Have you noticed that the above topics are usually debated during the WINTER months
    Endless_Summer_plate.jpg

Spyder Garage

Flash ECU, better traction, better airflow - by modding box or getting the intake (filter selection matters), modify exhaust, add performance header, add turbo, etc. etc. This will cost a couple grand, if you're not doing it yourself then labor is going to be expensive.

If you watch a bunch of Ryker track vids, the Ryker gets off the line quick, it has problems topping out. I've watched it against sport bikes and corvettes etc. Ryker blows them away initially (well, the modified ones do).

I'm no bike guru, I've just read about everything I can get my hands on and watched Ryker track vids and looked at the mods. I want that turbo, but I will likely settle for the header and air intake this season - as soon as the snow stops.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-19-2023 at 04:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
    Flash ECU, better traction, better airflow - by modding box or getting the intake (filter selection matters), modify exhaust, add performance header, add turbo, etc. etc. This will cost a couple grand, if you're not doing it yourself then labor is going to be expensive.

If you watch a bunch of Ryker track vids, the Ryker gets off the line quick, it has problems topping out. I've watched it against sport bikes and corvettes etc. Ryker blows them away initially (well, the modified ones do).

I'm no bike guru, I've just read about everything I can get my hands on and watched Ryker track vids and looked at the mods. I want that turbo, but I will likely settle for the header and air intake this season - as soon as the snow stops.
    I've said this (or similar) a hundred times or more ..... Old school fixes/performance mods etc. do NOT work on/for Computer controlled engines - PERIOD .... Not for Spyders, Cars ... Trucks or anything with a combustion engine controlled by a computer.... The OEM computer will make adjustments to COUNTER-ACT any performance mods you add. If the computer isn't adjusted, you are wasting your money ..... good luck ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-19-2023 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

I disagree. The Pedal Commander's primary function is to change the speed the butterfly opens, all settings allow it to open the throttle fully. I have owned two and they definitely get one across the intersection quicker than the stock set up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Davgill2002 View Post
    I disagree. The Pedal Commander's primary function is to change the speed the butterfly opens, all settings allow it to open the throttle fully. I have owned two and they definitely get one across the intersection quicker than the stock set up.
    The Pedal Commander is plugged in to the “OEM computer” (as Mike calls it), Davgill. It is not one of the old school fixes to which Mike was referring, but one designed to work WITH the OEM. So despite your “disagreement”, you are both effectively in agreement

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Both are water resistant, neither are water proof. I hid my Pedal Commander under the tupperware (zip tied) and use the cell phone software exclusively for adjustments.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    We've got 2 virtually identical F3's. We've got Pedalbox on one. We will get the ECU flash on the other. This will give us a real world comparison which should be interesting.
    Was this ever done? I have am very interested in seeing the results.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

If you're interested, I've recently made some measurements of twist grip action vs butterfly opening on my Ryker:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...r-improvements

The data shows that without Pedal Commander or PedalBox the butterfly is opening as fast as it is physically possible due to the slew rate limitation of the throttle body. The data shows that Pedal Commander or PedalBox cannot open the throttle body faster or improve the speed at which the butterfly opens as some have claimed.

The increase in twist grip sensitivity that these devices do provide is interpreted by many as improved response, and if you like that, peace.

If someone wants to loan me a Ryker Pedal Commander or PedalBox (maybe someone up north whose Ryker is inactive for a while?) I'd be happy to repeat measurements with it and post results.

Spyder Garage

Pedal Commander
    AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Davgill2002 View Post
    Both are water resistant, neither are water proof. I hid my Pedal Commander under the tupperware (zip tied) and use the cell phone software exclusively for adjustments.
    NOTHING is Waterproof only water resistant which can be measured and indicated on products.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    If you're interested, I've recently made some measurements of twist grip action vs butterfly opening on my Ryker:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...r-improvements

The data shows that without Pedal Commander or PedalBox the butterfly is opening as fast as it is physically possible due to the slew rate limitation of the throttle body. The data shows that Pedal Commander or PedalBox cannot open the throttle body faster or improve the speed at which the butterfly opens as some have claimed.

The increase in twist grip sensitivity that these devices do provide is interpreted by many as improved response, and if you like that, peace.

If someone wants to loan me a Ryker Pedal Commander or PedalBox (maybe someone up north whose Ryker is inactive for a while?) I'd be happy to repeat measurements with it and post results.
    I can yank a throttle open pretty fast as my arthritis hasn't gotten that bad yet so I think this will be put on my plate of passes as it seems like it is introducing another device into the equation that can fail and cause issues with no real benefit.

Even with the cat bypass you get an advantage of less heat and weight even if there is no real performance change.

If my arthritis gets worse and I lose some of my agility I may put this on in the future but for now it will be a hard pass.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 12-26-2023 at 05:19 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was going to toss an argument into the mix, but realized how old the thread is, and decided to simply ask a question.

For those that have any "throttle enhancement system": I am not going to debate the quicker rush of power (due to the changed signal to the ECU), but want to ask, is it harder to keep a steady throttle while riding in town? It seems to me that on a stock system, 5% twist gets you about 5% throttle, but with the "enhancers", 5% twist gets you about 10% throttle. To me, that would seem to make riding through town a bit jerky.

Yes, you may be able to leave the line quicker, but how necessary is that every single time? I don't ride my wife's Spyder much, but it seems to do quite well at staying in front of traffic with very little effort. Certainly do not have to twist the throttle very much to do so. Can't imagine twisting even less to do the same thing.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I was going to toss an argument into the mix, but realized how old the thread is, and decided to simply ask a question.

For those that have any "throttle enhancement system": I am not going to debate the quicker rush of power (due to the changed signal to the ECU), but want to ask, is it harder to keep a steady throttle while riding in town? It seems to me that on a stock system, 5% twist gets you about 5% throttle, but with the "enhancers", 5% twist gets you about 10% throttle. To me, that would seem to make riding through town a bit jerky.

Yes, you may be able to leave the line quicker, but how necessary is that every single time? I don't ride my wife's Spyder much, but it seems to do quite well at staying in front of traffic with very little effort. Certainly do not have to twist the throttle very much to do so. Can't imagine twisting even less to do the same thing.

I don't have one and don't recommend them because what Monster fuel sells makes way more sense at about the same Cost ..... but to answer your question ..... I believe they both have "SENSITIVITY" settings which will allow the opr. to choose the level of operation .... JMHO ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-27-2023 at 05:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Steve W, the “Power” units are completely adjustable to set wherever you want for your riding style. I bought mine to remove the lag you sometimes get if you are inadvertently in the wrong gear and looking to enter the freeway. It has no trouble in town…….
    But, having said that, they are instantly adjustable, so if you are tied up in traffic, you simply dial them down.

I agree with Mike that the Monster tune is a better way to go, but the Power Commander gave me what I was primarily after, more cheaply, and with an easier install.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red