Spyder Garage

Default BRP GO/Connect & my helmet communicator

Hey Spyder community,

I need your help. I've sold my 2019 base model F3 and replaced it with 2022 RT Limited Chrome (Marsella Red).
    It's such a great machine and an upgrade from my previous Spyder. I love everything (well almost everything) on my new RT!
    Trying to learn the function and use of BRP Go/Connect has been nothing short of frustrating. All I've accomplished is how to pair my phone via Bluetooth and listen to music through the 6-speaker system. The driving stats are great to have but other than that all other apps are a complete waste of time (in my opinion) because they don't work correctly and are not user-friendly.
    In my helmet, I have a Cardo PackTalk Bold communicator. I use this to listen to music via my helmet (40mm JBL speakers). I also use it to receive and make phone calls using voice commands (which works great). I can also pair with other riders using mesh technology.
    This is my problem with my Spyder and my PackTalk Bold.
    Both pair via Bluetooth so I can listen to music through my speakers in my helmet as well as through the 6-speakers on the Spyder.
    The problem is making and receiving phone calls. The calls won't come through the speakers in my helmet when ringing. They will only come through the 6-speakers in the Spyder. This is a problem if I'm driving with my helmet on, as it's impossible to talk to anyone because of my helmet/wind noise. The voice commands won't work either. The only way to bypass this is to disconnect from BRP Go/Connect and have my Cardo PackTalk Bold connected to my phone solely.
    I've called Cardo and all they have told me is that it has to be an issue with BRP. I tried to find YouTube videos for help but I have been unsuccessful.
    SpyderLovers Forum, who has a fix for this? Please help.
    Last edited by Arcamguy; 01-07-2023 at 09:22 PM.
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have the headset paired to both the phone and bike? If so remove the headset from the phone. The phone part in the bike’s dash will not work unless a headset is paired to it. Making/receiving calls will only work if a headset is paired to the bike.

You can only have music in the external speakers or headset not both. The BRP Go app has easy instructions.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rtjVe6X5...SIkaIECMiOmarE
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 01-07-2023 at 12:03 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Have a look at Flamewinger’s link above, Arcamguy. BRB Go does do what you are trying to get it to do, except for voice commands (i.e. no Siri etc) and the apps work well. It is pretty solid now, but you have to set it up exactly as detailed. It sounds like it is not yet set up on your ‘22 RT properly .

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

So if you don't use your phone and cardo app, how do you use other music apps like iHeartRadio or pandora? How about cardo settings, will it remain saved in the headset?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-09-2023 at 08:03 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mandytuning View Post
    So if you don't use your phone and cardo app, how do you use other music apps like iHeartRadio or pandora? How about cardo settings, will it remain saved in the headset?
    Open any music app and get it playing. Then open BRP Go and plug into the bike. Start the bike and wait20-30 seconds and the music will be heard in either the external speakers or headset.

What I do is check to make sure my Apple Music is active and the volume is all the way up. It doesn’t have to be playing but it helps. Open the Go app, plug into the bike, start it and when the headset says “phone 1 connected” and the phone goes dark I can push the joystick up and start the music. On the odd occasion I have to unplug the phone and open the music app to press play. Sometimes I have to go into the music part of the menu and choose Bluetooth but 90% of the time just punch the joystick up.

Cardo requires the headset be directly paired to the phone. Problem is when the headset is paired to both phone AND bike it causes BT confusion. You’ll be riding down the road enjoying music and a call comes in, you answer it and when they hang up you don’t go back to music because the headset is connected to the phone which wasn’t where the music was coming from. The thing is the only reason to use the Cardo app is to control the connections with other riders. So we really don’t need it.

For the BMW TFT systems you can pair to the bike AS WELL AS pair to the phone and it works but Cardo hasn’t fixed it so it work with other smartphone systems. Yet.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Do you have the headset paired to both the phone and bike? If so remove the headset from the phone. The phone part in the bike’s dash will not work unless a headset is paired to it. Making/receiving calls will only work if a headset is paired to the bike.

You can only have music in the external speakers or headset not both. The BRP Go app has easy instructions.

I agree with what Flamewinger says. When she says remove the headset from the phone, she means 'delete the pairing completely'. If both Cardo and BRP Connect are available pairings on the phone it will try to connect to both and cause problems. All of this applies if you are not plugging the phone into the Spyder via the USB cable in the glovebox.

If you do want to plug the phone in (and have the Spyder take control of it) use this quick start guide provided by Cardo. I used this method to get everything going when I first set up my Cardo but have since stopped plugging the phone into the Spyder.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by FrogmanDave; 03-09-2023 at 05:53 PM. Reason: gender reversal
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    If you do want to plug the phone in (and have the Spyder take control of it) use this quick start guide provided by Cardo. I used this method to get everything going when I first set up my Cardo but have since stopped plugging the phone into the Spyder.

To get the apps open in the dash you still need the cable because the data required to show in the dash screen is too much for Bluetooth. Especially the GPS apps with all the map details.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

To get the apps open in the dash you still need the cable because the data required to show in the dash screen is too much for Bluetooth. Especially the GPS apps with all the map details.
    Exactly correct. I should have stated that. If you want to use the built in apps, they must be installed onto the phone and you must use the cable. Thanks for the clarification Flamewinger.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone that replied. I will go through each recommendation and try each one.
    There is a recent post, similar to my problem, in which another Spyder rider could not hear the GPS directions over his speakers. Lamont from Lamonster Garage has a portable BT device that seems to remedy this problem. I wonder if this is the answer to my situation as well. What do you all think?

Thanks Arcamguy
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Spyder Garage

In the other thread he was trying to pair a TomTom GPS. I am using a Cardo Edge but it is functionally equivalent to your Bold. You didn't say if you are using Android or iOS. I am on Android. My system functions either with the phone plugged into the data cable or without it. Either way the Spyder controls everything. If you are on iOS there may be a difference but I highly doubt it. You don't need extra equipment.
    Last edited by FrogmanDave; 03-09-2023 at 05:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Android
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Spyder Garage

You only need the BRP Go App running and the USB cable if you are going to display the app data on the dash. For music only, you just need Bluetooth connected to the bike. There is a steep learning curve for each app and joy stick controls to use them but once you get used to it they work great. Make sure that your dealer made all the dash updates, if not have them do it. It should be free.
    2021 Syder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Questions to better understand what to expect

Hopefully today I can work on my connections to test … but I am still unclear what to expect and don’t want to break something that works.

Ideally what I would like to do is:
    1. Play music thru the Spyder sometimes or thru headset other times
    2. Answer phone and talk on phone thru headset while riding
    3. Have music resume after call without me having to restart it on the phone

Questions:
    1. When I unpair my phone from the Cardo device then I can no longer create/join groups unless this is to be done on the BRP Cardo app. Can anyone confirm how this will work going forward.

2. To connect to a Cardo group will the phone have to be plugged in to the Spyder?

3. Can I answer phone using Bluetooth connection only?

4. Will music resume automatically at end of phone call?

TIA
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only way I’ve figured out how to use the Cardo app is to pair the headset to the phone then make the mesh connections then remove the pairing. All done when not riding.

I questioned this problem on this video and hope they answer soon.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cRlhtwmM...SIkaIECMiOmarE
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Yes, in my opinion BRP took was lazy and took the easy way out by relying on phone apps to provide needed functionality for their infotainment system. If they had gone with the industry standard Android Auto or Apple Car Play, it would be a lot more functional. Not making their radio satellite radio ready is another big fail.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

So helmet > bike and phone > bike, but not helmet > phone, Is that correct? What if you have a Garmin GPS in the mix?
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slhanks004 View Post
    So helmet > bike and phone > bike, but not helmet > phone, Is that correct? What if you have a Garmin GPS in the mix?
    You can’t have a Garmin in the mix if you wish to use BRP Go, slhanks…….and Vice Versa. BRP Go wants sole ownership. You can of course run your Garmin to show your nav route, but no sound to your helmet.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You would have to pair the headset to the Garmin as a GPS channel. Most newer headsets have 2 phone. Han RLS and 1 GPS channel.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, in my opinion BRP took was lazy and took the easy way out by relying on phone apps to provide needed functionality for their infotainment system. If they had gone with the industry standard Android Auto or Apple Car Play, it would be a lot more functional. Not making their radio satellite radio ready is another big fail.
    ANY smartphone integration uses phone apps for music, navigation and anything else needed for traveling. BRP Go/Connect - Apple Car Play - MySpin are all smartphone integration apps to allow the use of certain apps. Bosch is the designer of MySpin what comes in high end European cars and also makes the BRP Go/Connect for BRP.

The reason Google Maps and Waze are not available is because they require cell service. Yes Google maps can work when you loose cell but it’s problematic at best.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

This is the reason I bought a Sumo XT.
    Frank Ferrante
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado