Spyder Garage

Unhappy 21 RT Rear Trunk won't stay open - any cheap repairs?

i have a 21 rt limited dark. my trip trunk wont stay open when i try to get something out of it. does anyone know a cheap repair without the shock?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-03-2023 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Get it replaced under warranty. Yours is not the first that needed to be replaced!

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    Get it replaced under warranty. Yours is not the first that needed to be replaced!
    Agreed. Cheapest option is "Free" under warranty. There are some who decided to replace the strut themselves. Just do a search and top case strut replacement. You should find a few hits if you'd rather pay for your own fix. See below:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...top+case+strut
    Last edited by JohnRuckus; 01-04-2023 at 11:11 AM. Reason: additional info.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Warranty replacement is great if your dealer is close, can get the parts and will complete the work with a certified mechanic! Unfortunately for myself, have tried to get seat strut and box strut replaced, they want me to leave bike, they’ll see if it qualifies under warranty, order parts and fix it when they can get to it! Not willing to leave bike for weeks, dealer a 200 mile ride or trailer trip! I know Winter is a great time for this since most can’t ride anyhow, but just wish things moved faster! Good luck!
    To
    2021 Spyder RT-L - Asphalt Grey
    • Vredestein tires all around
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster tire balancing rings/front
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • Lamonster belt tensioner
    • K and N air filter
    • Rear cowl - in place when you remove rear box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    Warranty replacement is great if your dealer is close, can get the parts and will complete the work with a certified mechanic! Unfortunately for myself, have tried to get seat strut and box strut replaced, they want me to leave bike, they’ll see if it qualifies under warranty, order parts and fix it when they can get to it! Not willing to leave bike for weeks, dealer a 200 mile ride or trailer trip! I know Winter is a great time for this since most can’t ride anyhow, but just wish things moved faster! Good luck!
    To
    Stand up and respectfully advocate for yourself at your dealership. There is no reason for them to hold the bike while they "see if it qualifies under warranty". They already know it does. If the service writer and/or manager can see that the strut does not hold open the trunk or keep the seat up, then the evaluation is done. All they need to do is open a claim, order the parts and schedule an appointment to do the work. It isn't rocket science. And imho, any dealership that is unwilling to provide this basic "customer first" service isn't worth spending any money at.
    2022 Spyder RTL – MCRN TACHI

Spyder Garage

To
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ4U2C View Post
    Stand up and respectfully advocate for yourself at your dealership. There is no reason for them to hold the bike while they "see if it qualifies under warranty". They already know it does. If the service writer and/or manager can see that the strut does not hold open the trunk or keep the seat up, then the evaluation is done. All they need to do is open a claim, order the parts and schedule an appointment to do the work. It isn't rocket science. And imho, any dealership that is unwilling to provide this basic "customer first" service isn't worth spending any money at.
    Agree but unfortunately with dealer already 200m away, slim to no options. Contact BRP cares, email video the issue. Hopefully fix can be warrantied without dealer.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Agree but unfortunately with dealer already 200m away, slim to no options. Contact BRP cares, email video the issue. Hopefully fix can be warrantied without dealer.
    Maybe but I highly doubt it. Maybe the op will try and let us know how it goes.

Thats why I just did the seat strut myself. It cost less in the long run, and I put a better (stronger) strut back in its place. Unless it's a couple of hundred dollars, I'll just eat it as my time is worth more than the trouble.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rich5006 View Post
    i have a 21 rt limited dark. my trip trunk wont stay open when i try to get something out of it. does anyone know a cheap repair without the shock?
    Found a pack of 2 small doorstops in a whiter shade of pale for 2.79 at Ace Hardware. Ka-Ching. Problem solved. But I will replace the shock at a later date

Spyder Garage

To
    That’s an odd way of running a service department. Why hire a parts manager if all they inventory is oil and filters? No wonder they can’t hire or retain technicians.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-08-2023 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Fixed the links! ;-)
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Just replaced my top case and seat strut under the factory warranty in about an hour while I walked around and kicked some tires. Has anyone had either done with the B.E.S.T. Extended warranty?
    2021 Sea to Sky

Mods: Pedal Commander, RLS Black Ceramic Coated Cat Delete, Passenger Armrests, Driver Backrest, FOBO TPMS, Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn, Foam Handgrips

Spyder Garage

ditto to what peterparker did. I to did the same with my 2022F3L Spl. Quite simple and can take a lot of wind without coming down on my hands especially when on uneven surfaces.

Spyder Garage

404 error on the links for me. Do they work for anyone else?
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    404 error on the links for me. Do they work for anyone else?
    Those aren't the complete links, they are just a copy of what's displayed, but like most similar sites, the s/ware here shortens extended addresses & displays them like that... So unless someone has those entire links in full anywhere, I can't fix them. Sorry
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Those aren't the complete links, they are just a copy of what's displayed, but like most similar sites, the s/ware here shortens extended addresses & displays them like that... So unless someone has those entire links in full anywhere, I can't fix them. Sorry
    Try these. They look truncated, but I believe they are the entire posts.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1645384

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1653940

And for completeness, here is a link to the spring sold at Home Depot. $5.32:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...DkNzZEZj-z3pzs

Use the larger spring 7/8 X 4". You can try to stretch the spring to 6" like PW2013STL did. I chose to cut the second spring in half for and combine it with one full spring to make up the 6" length.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 03-08-2023 at 06:17 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Try these. They look truncated, but I believe they are the entire posts.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1645384

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1653940

And for completeness, here is a link to the spring sold at Home Depot. $5.32:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...DkNzZEZj-z3pzs
    They do have the entire URL for the link, so they should work now! Did for me; so I fixed the original post too. But I did not fix those links in my post or al0vely's post discussing the 404 errors
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-08-2023 at 06:19 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I had this issue with my Spyder F3 Limited and my dealer was able to do the repair, with new parts, under warranty.....along with my coolant bottle getting replaced under warranty as it was cracked.

Rob Parr
    2020 Can-Am Ryker 600
    2021 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited
    2020 600 , Can Am White Design

Spyder Garage

Those who've had theirs replaced at dealers, are the replacements any better? I have a 2020 that needs the seat and trunk replaced. Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-19-2023 at 01:00 AM. Reason: 've & d ;-)

Spyder Garage

Dealer replaced the trunk item under warranty for me last month on my '21 RTL.
    Now the lid lifts itself after I push the release button and give it a gentle nudge up.
    When brand-new I would push the release button and the lid would just sit there until I pushed it up - but would stay up until I closed it.
    This last summer it quit staying up (I propped it up with a stick).
    I don't expect the fix to last too long but its nice while it works.
    The stick worked great also.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
    Those who've had theirs replaced at dealers, are the replacements any better? I have a 2020 that needs the seat and trunk replaced. Thanks
    I had both the seat and trunk pistons replaced on my 2020RTL. Stock BRP replacements. They work. For how long? Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Just FYI, If you are having trouble with your top case cylinder and it is out of warranty, or it is failing because you added a top case rack, you might want to take a look at www.can-amSpyderAccessories.com. They offer a couple of inexpensive fixes to prop open the top while you are trying to get into it.