Spyder Garage

Post How to increase ground clearance and which suspension is good for me?

I am riding a Can-Am Ryker Rally 2021 model.

1. Currently I have upgraded bumpers so the ground clearance is 2.95 inches. How to increase ground clearance?

2. If I change the front/rear suspension of my rider, which would be better, elka or m2? I am a tourer and carry heavy loads (396 lbs total).

thank you!

Spyder Garage

It's all personal preference, I would talk to both places if I was you. Myself I went with Elka, love them made a big difference for me! Trying to get more ground clearance threw shocks and not doing anything with your a arms, I don't know if you are going to get there!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    It's all personal preference, I would talk to both places if I was you. Myself I went with Elka, love them made a big difference for me! Trying to get more ground clearance threw shocks and not doing anything with your a arms, I don't know if you are going to get there!
    Thanks for the good point!!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kongdoly View Post
    I am riding a Can-Am Ryker Rally 2021 model.

1. Currently I have upgraded bumpers so the ground clearance is 2.95 inches. How to increase ground clearance?

2. If I change the front/rear suspension of my rider, which would be better, elka or m2? I am a tourer and carry heavy loads (396 lbs total).

thank you!
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when I bought my 08 GS ( and later my 11 RSS & 14 RT ) I changed the angle of the front shocks by designing steel brackets...... ( see my album pics ) They had the ability to also change the height of Spyder ..... un-fortunately I never got access to a Ryker. Otherwise I could have done it for that ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

With longer shocks it might change the camber or castor angles.
    I don't think there is any adjustment for these on a Ryker.
    Maybe someone you knows more than me (almost everyone) swill chime in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when I bought my 08 GS ( and later my 11 RSS & 14 RT ) I changed the angle of the front shocks by designing steel brackets...... ( see my album pics ) They had the ability to also change the height of Spyder ..... un-fortunately I never got access to a Ryker. Otherwise I could have done it for that ...... Mike
    thank you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Oh... I'll have to look for springs or suspensions that fit on Amazon. thank you

Spyder Garage

Your best bet would be to talk to Baja Ron or Lamonster.
    Both have shops and are listed here.

Spyder Garage

I don’t ride a Ryker, but I am bottoming the RT front more frequently as more and more potholes and their supposed “fixes” appear. I have written to Ikon shocks (whose shocks I am using), to see if they have any recommendations. If they come back with anything positive, I’ll post…….but I may also ask Lamonster in the meantime.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

An update after speaking with Ikon. Ryker riders, I hope you don’t see this as a hijack in the Ryker section……it’s just that this issue affects both Ryker and Spyders…..if you like, I could start a new general thread.

Ikon have been producing a 10mm higher shock to address exactly this issue for a couple of years now. They can only go 10mm to ensure they do not impact front end geometry. Feedback has been very positive, even with this minimal rise. I am only just scraping the underbody apron, so this has every possibility of working for me, and I have ordered the longer front shocks.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

The only thing to adjust is toe in or out. I installed 400 mm front shocks with a 1" bushing in my rear shock. I have a 2020 Ace 900 and got good ground clearance. Have been watching the tires and shows no unusable wear so far. Have about 2000 miles since doing this mod. David

Spyder Garage

Your best bet would be to talk to Baja Ron or Lamonster.
    Both have shops and are listed here.
    I'll have to ask once. In Korea, the ground clearance must be 3.8 inches or more. Right now riding on the road with the Ryker causes a problem, so I'll have to fix it somehow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kongdoly View Post
    I'll have to ask once. In Korea, the ground clearance must be 3.8 inches or more. Right now riding on the road with the Ryker causes a problem, so I'll have to fix it somehow.
    Factory skid plate.
    Won't fix the clearance problem, but will keep things from getting broken.
    Long time off roader, bikes and trucks.

Spyder Garage

Factory skid plate.
    Won't fix the clearance problem, but will keep things from getting broken.
    Long time off roader, bikes and trucks.
    I agree that the skid plate provides protection, Raven, but the issue for kongdoly may be that as the skid plate lowers the undercarriage further, he is in breach of the 3.8” local laws?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

He has a Rally which already has the skid plate and factory specs give it a 4.8 ground clearance.
    How is the new bumper mounted ?

Spyder Garage

He has a Rally which already has the skid plate and factory specs give it a 4.8 ground clearance.
    How is the new bumper mounted ?
    I currently have a bumper purchased from slingmods fitted.
    The problem with this bumper is that the ground clearance at the bottom of the bumper is 3.1 inches. I want to remove the bumper, but it's a waste of money and the design is different, so I'm installing it.
    It seems that the method of increasing the ground clearance will be solved through the recommended story above.

Thank you everyone.~!!!

Spyder Garage

These are the shocks that many of us have added. They are 400mm travel so they add about an extra inch to the ride height in the front. That should be enough to get you over the 3.8 inch limit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014R49456...m?ie=UTF8&th=1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    These are the shocks that many of us have added. They are 400mm travel so they add about an extra inch to the ride height in the front. That should be enough to get you over the 3.8 inch limit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014R49456...m?ie=UTF8&th=1
    any recommendation for a rear shock? Is this setup noticeable, when looking at side view is the front markedly higher than back? thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    any recommendation for a rear shock? Is this setup noticeable, when looking at side view is the front markedly higher than back? thanks
    I took a schedule 80 2" pipe and cut 3/4" and added it to the top of the spring. Had to take the shock apart to install it. Raised the rear end up level with the added 400 mm shocks. David

Spyder Garage

It's not noticeable to me. It rides a lot better too. I charged the air chambers to 20 psi and found that to be the pressure that worked best for my riding style.

I also cranked the locknuts down a couple revolutions from their full extension.
    Last edited by Markubis; 01-07-2023 at 11:23 AM.

Spyder Garage

hmm, wonder if that shock lift kit would help on this also, need that also as the stock shock is not very good... until maybe get the elka setup perhaps this be a compromise until then, thanks