Spyder Garage

Default Is there an LED Headlight without fan extn that just fits in?

Sure tried to replace my H4 factory 2022 Sport bulbs with LED ones. Bought some inexpensive ones with the fan assembly on the back. Try as I might, could not get one to fit into the bulb holder as it is too long and hits into the wiring and the back of the body. Also had to grind the plastic ring that came with them thinner so the lock ring would lock. Royal PIA of work and time to give up. If it takes total removal of the headlight bucket that is silly as replacement "on the road" would be impractical. You could not even get the old one out let alone replaced without total disassembly.

Now comes the question... Is there an LED option with just the H4 three prongs and no huge fan extension that would just fit right in?

Thought of this ...https://www.amazon.com/Xenooto-Headl...cx_mr_hp_atf_m

Kind of expensive but if it works then OK. There are many others much cheaper but I read they are not very bright ( no big deal as I do not ride much at night) and have no ballast or whatever it is to stop the system from flickering the light.

Your thoughts and/or experience?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-02-2023 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

There are rumors folks can do it without removing the frunk and headlight assembly, but I could not do it. It was just easier for me to take it apart, it just to damn tight to shoehorn a bulb in there. Bought the Elite LED HD 360 from slingmods for the wife's ryker.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    There are rumors folks can do it without removing the frunk and headlight assembly, but I could not do it. It was just easier for me to take it apart, it just to damn tight to shoehorn a bulb in there. Bought the Elite LED HD 360 from slingmods for the wife's ryker.
    The thing about taking it apart is "the thing". That would be quite impractical if you had to do that for a failure. I have seen pictures of some LED bulbs that vibrated apart and failed. If you could dig them out then a halogen H4 spare could take their place easily.

I saw Slingmods' LED offering. Pricy like seemingly all the Ryker/CanAm vendors. There are many generic offerings for less than $20 a set for the LED's. Think I paid less than $15 for the ones I bought. Impressive but too long, even if you try to do a full assembly first and then try to get thing in that big hole.

May order a couple of the cheap ones without the fan assembly. No longer than a typical H4, they may work. then again, they may not.

Appreciate the follow-up.

Spyder Garage

I put this one in my Suzuki Boulevard. Similar but a little less expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/AUTOONE-H4-Mo.../dp/B09W44ZPRK

Spyder Garage

The headlight assembly comes out by removing 2 plastic pop rivets and one screw if I remember correctly. It's easy enough to do on the side of the highway if you're worried about it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    The headlight assembly comes out by removing 2 plastic pop rivets and one screw if I remember correctly. It's easy enough to do on the side of the highway if you're worried about it.
    Seem to recall on the wife's ryker it was 3 torx bolts (2021), but it sure was easier to do that than to fight it while it was attached. Spent more time trying to get old one out and new one in. Just a matter of minutes to pull the push pins out of the frunk and use torx bit socket and a ratchet to get them bolts out. Just the very bottom one was hiding under some tape that was on the loom was the only issue I had, I couldn't see it so really had to feel for it basically, I knew there was one there, somewhere.

Spyder Garage

I think you also have to remove the "frunk" before gaining access to those screws or fasteners to work on getting the headlight assemblies out. May be easy but certainly time-consuming.

Yes. Removing the headlight assemblies is something I am worried about if having to do that on the side of the road.

DickB - Going to look close at this one. Could not find the exact one you recommended.

AUTOONE Upgraded H4 9003 HB2 LED Headlight Bulbs 6000K White, Plug and Play for Car Motorcycle H4 Hi/Lo Beam Light, Pack of 2

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try JW Speaker - they come with the Driver and Canbus adapter built into the housing - they fit without any mods in my '17RTL if they take the same bulb
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Try JW Speaker - they come with the Driver and Canbus adapter built into the housing - they fit without any mods in my '17RTL if they take the same bulb
    Did. Guessing that is the old J C Whitney catalog company. No matter. I checked their Powersports section. No headlight bulbs.

Seems they are distributers of various headlights and aftermarket add-on lighting.

Appreciate the idea.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Did. Guessing that is the old J C Whitney catalog company. No matter. I checked their Powersports section. No headlight bulbs.

Seems they are distributers of various headlights and aftermarket add-on lighting.

Appreciate the idea.
    This was their wesbite https://www.jwspeaker.com/

I found out the H4 and H7 conversion kits aren't sold in the US due to local regs and dont list them when you search (I called the Australian importer for JW Speaker). The Aus importer said you can buy from an Aus reseller if they'll ship to the US if they inerested you but....

Below is an Australian autoparts retailer, this is the kit for H4 https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-...0004/p/EL26652, These have the driver separate so they arent the same as my 9005's. https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-...9005/p/EL31631. Sorry for the confusion.

With the US/Aus echange rate you could buy the whole store
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

If you're mostly worried about changing one while riding at night, maybe try another option...add extra lighting. A couple extra driving lights increase visibility anyways, with the added benefit of being back ups if a headlight does fail.

Spyder Garage

Sure tried to replace my H4 factory 2022 Sport bulbs with LED ones. Bought some inexpensive ones with the fan assembly on the back. Try as I might, could not get one to fit into the bulb holder as it is too long and hits into the wiring and the back of the body. Also had to grind the plastic ring that came with them thinner so the lock ring would lock. Royal PIA of work and time to give up. If it takes total removal of the headlight bucket that is silly as replacement "on the road" would be impractical. You could not even get the old one out let alone replaced without total disassembly.

Now comes the question... Is there an LED option with just the H4 three prongs and no huge fan extension that would just fit right in?

Kind of expensive but if it works then OK. There are many others much cheaper but I read they are not very bright ( no big deal as I do not ride much at night) and have no ballast or whatever it is to stop the system from flickering the light.

Although there is a few years between your bike and my wife's, but these are the bulbs I used in hers.

(see post #3)

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...62#post1633862

I don't use anything that has a fan. Fans break down and those tiny fans don't move much air and are a hindrance for radiating heat from the heatsink when they do fail.

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    If you're mostly worried about changing one while riding at night, maybe try another option...add extra lighting. A couple extra driving lights increase visibility anyways, with the added benefit of being back ups if a headlight does fail.
    This, exactly. When she wanted brighter lights and found that the LED bulbs are a PITA to deal with unless you have your tools with you, I installed a set of aux lights on hers, and she loves it. Earned lots of brownie points and even got the compliment that I am useful some times
    Screenshot from 2023-01-03 07-30-34.jpg

Spyder Garage

Have seen some that mount on the upper suspension links. Guessing you could fuse and wire into the battery but then would need a separate switch.

One of my minor objections to the halogen H4's is the amount of amperage they use. LED's would lower that, give out lots of light and come on without a separate switch. Amazon recommends some. Just not sure what would work best and be easily installed/replaced.
    Last edited by Captainmal; 01-03-2023 at 04:48 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I see on that Ad page they also list / offer the " fahren Forerunner Brand / model " ..... ask the seller what the actual dimensions of the bulb is. .... compare it to what you have ( OEM ) ..... I know E-bay sells the fahren LED's so if amazon can't tell you go to e-bay and ask the seller ..... PS I have bought the Fahren LED's for my RT and I loooooooooooooooooooooove them. .. the ones for your Ryker are actually quite a bit brighter then the ones I bought. ..... I looked at the Fiche' for the Ryker, I think they should fit ....good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Have seen some that mount on the upper suspension links. Guessing you could =fuse and wire into the battery but then would need a separate switch.

One of my minor objections to the halogen H4's is the amount of amperage they use. LED's would lower that, give out lots of light and come on without a separate switch. Amazon recommends some. Just not sure what would work best and be easily installed/replaced.
    Found a spot right about the upper shock bolt, holes are already there. I had a piece of 1in heavy aluminum angle, cut it to fit. Found some light brackets on Amazon, drilled it out a bit to work with these lights specific, KC has a huge bolt for these suckers. I used the AUX circuit to trigger a bosch style 5 pin relay to bring the lights on, so they are running anytime you turn on, or start the motor. They pull less than 2 amps total and she really says they light up the road a great deal. Lots of bambis running around so when she goes to work at night she can see them more easily. I got the spread style instead of spots to be able to least light the edges of the road, ditch line and tree line. Almost 5K miles and not an issue yet with them.

Spyder Garage

Ordered these. Looks the size of a regular H4. Supposed to have a chip to deal with flickering issues. Small as a regular H4 so no disassembly of the bucket needed.

Just another $20 to find out. Not an issue if they don't work but at least the rings are thin metal and should fit without me having to grind and thin so the factory locking rings have clearance to lock. .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37437987764...Bk9SR5S1sZqvYQ

Spyder Garage

I’ve always been a big fan of Fahren LED bulbs. They seem to stay on top of the game with advancements. Here’s a set of their newest H4. I just put a set of H7’s in my RS. They’ll definitely light up the night! forenner Fahren NEW Upgraded H4/9003 LED Headlight Bulbs, 24000LM 600% Brightness Per Set, Wireless Mini Size H4 HB2 LED Bulbs, Direct Installation, Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/1WBUCyv
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Spyder Garage

Default Leds really an upgrade?

Jalopnik had an interesting article about how led upgrades really aren't upgrades
    https://jalopnik.com/why-most-led-he...-ex-1843070472

A bit lengthy but informative.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peacons View Post
    Jalopnik had an interesting article about how led upgrades really aren't upgrades
    https://jalopnik.com/why-most-led-he...-ex-1843070472

A bit lengthy but informative.
    Informative ....Yes .... however I Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove my Fahren's ..... JMHO ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Default LED Rally headlights

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27432215785...mis&media=COPY

I got these off Ebay for my 2022 Rally- the left side is very tight getting it in place but it'll go. Another hand came in handy. Make sure the locking ring is oriented correctly, have your helper push on the tab to get it into place with a small regular screwdriver and BOOM, you got lights!
    Last edited by bcrunk; 03-16-2023 at 06:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

I've just replaced the stock headlights with the Slingmods conversion kit... No grinding required

Spyder Garage

Had these in since January. Only tried to test at night once. You can see down the road. Have noticed people pulling out seem to see me and hold off more than when I was riding a regular motorcycle with a single headlight.

Cannot say they are great as I have never had to ride at night for any real distance. Just can say they are inexpensive and work for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37437987764...Bk9SR5S1sZqvYQ

Spyder Garage

Slingmods has LED lights, install is easy, watch the install video.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2023 at 02:32 AM. Reason: .