Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Can-Am all-electric Motorcycles grand reveal

I'm hoping for an e-Spyder/Ryker. I'm sick of pumping gas. I just want to get on my bike and go. I did try to google the e-Ryker but the hits where all sketchy.

https://youtu.be/WfSkq_P4bN0
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-30-2022 at 10:19 PM. Reason: riker - Ryker ;-)
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

It doesn't exist in production yet. The electric 2 wheelers are supposed to be out in '23 or '24.
    It'd be interesting to see what the future holds for the Rykers and Spyders though.
    Even though electric doesn't require gas, the charge time is a lot longer than refueling with "the petro".
    So, hopefully, if/when you get your e-ryker/spyder you can charge somewhere quickly and efficiently in order to just get on and...
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I'm hoping for an e-Spyder/Ryker. I'm sick of pumping gas. I just want to get on my bike and go. I did try to google the e-Ryker but the hits where all sketchy.

Sorry, but you'll still be pumping gas for a bit of a while....

Here's a quote from the first line of the introductory Comments to that vid -
    Introducing the Can-Am Origin and Can-Am Pulse. All new, all-electric. The new rebellion starts in 2024.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

In 2010 while attending the CanAm homecoming event I was able to see the Electric Spyder
    and talk to one of the designers. He told me that when driving conservative the range was 80 kilometers, and driven hard about 36 kilometers. 12 years later I wonder what they have been able to achieve?
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    In 2010 while attending the CanAm homecoming event I was able to see the Electric Spyder
    and talk to one of the designers. He told me that when driving conservative the range was 80 kilometers, and driven hard about 36 kilometers. 12 years later I wonder what they have been able to achieve?
    That isn't far at all. Should be able to get over 100 miles, closer to 200 miles per charge with a max load. That'll make it more feasible. Anything less than that, it might as well just be an e-bike lol.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

You couldn't run fast enough to give me an electric vehicle. In my opinion overall they are worse for the environment that anything I drive now, but that's just my two cents. I do read a lot about vehicles and that includes electric ones. A lot of the real world testing shows that most electric vehicles are getting about two thirds of the factory claimed range on a charge. Looks like fudging the gas mileage numbers has also affected the EV world. There here and they are an alternative, but not for me.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Electric vehicles pose a real challenge for society, whether we are talking cars or motorcycles. Its unlikely that anyone will invest in the construction of enough charging stations to meet the needs of electric vehicles if those vehicles become a significant percentage of what is on the roads. And its unlikely that we will ever see them become a high percentage as long as recharging is such a problem, especially for traveling far from home. And on top of that, the current electric grid is reportedly barely capable of handling much higher a percentage of vehicles that are currently operating, about 1%. Personally, until an electric motorcycle, 2 or 3 wheel, can get 200 miles range, or better, even with aggressive riding, AND can be recharged in about 10 minutes or less, I will not be interested. My worry is that the climate change fanatics, who operate more on emotion than science, will force this change upon us whether or not it makes any sense.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wish them all the best in producing all electric Spyders, their problem
    will be selling them. Harley, ZERO and others can't give the electrics away
    because of HIGH cost and short range. I live in California and travel from
    the Bay Area ( San Francisco) there are more charging stations in California
    than anywhere else in the USA "I have been told" but it seems everytime I
    travel to LA to see my daughter and grand kids I see electric cars on the side of the road
    all makes and models DEAD.
    There are many independent companies who have power generators powered be gas and
    diesel who make a good living charging up stranded electric cars. It is funny to me that
    many of the people who buy the electric vehicles must think electricity comes out of the
    air by magic. Cross country travel in them is not an option until THOUSANDS of charging
    stations and the building of power plants can be done.
    My son inlaw lives in LA and has a Tesla they only tried to drive it to our house one time
    they had to stop and charge it up in Fresno to get here and it took him over 2 hours to do it.
    We need many more power plants and we need them ASAP if this is the way the world is going.
    Only my opinion....
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 12-31-2022 at 01:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

They are not for me. I have posted the reasons many, many times. You folks are off to a good start.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-02-2023 at 01:01 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm definitely willing to try one out. My day to day commutes are rather short, but when I'm riding Gwen, I never really know how long I'm going to be out. EVs aren't of 0 environmental impact, but they are better than petro. I know, I know, electricity is mostly created through power plants that use fossil fuels. So, there is that impact. Yes, I also know that lithium ain't innocent either, but it still has less of an immediate environmental impact. Hydrogen power would be the best of all 3, but isn't really viable in the current set up of things. Too cost prohibitive. I appreciate the advancement in science and the awareness of environmental health. Unfortunately, the cost of an EV(even an entry level 1) is out of the most people's budgets. Folks like us who ride what is considered a luxury, toy, or recreation vehicle by many; the price may be too high for me to justify buying 1 initially. This will take continued persistence and diligence to find solutions that are more sound than the take it or leave it nature that so many of us operate in. If an electric spyder is introduced that meets my price and is able to get decent mileage in it's least optimal situation, sign me up. That is also my stance for other EVs. I do like the look of the mustang mach e
    Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see what the future brings. I'm looking forward to the technology being more widely adopted and improved.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

I wish BRP good luck selling them.

But we need the infrastructure first. ( Off Topic: Will the current power grid support the electric vehicles)?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Those new Can Am motorcycles look exhausted.

They’re two tired.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Similar issues and arguments when the first cars were produced - no gas stations, no roads, short range, capabilities. Would never replace the horse and buggy. Technology will continue to improve batteries, infrastructure will develop as well. We’ll get there, it will just take time.
    The Journey IS the Destination
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MNF3 View Post
    Similar issues and arguments when the first cars were produced - no gas stations, no roads, short range, capabilities. Would never replace the horse and buggy. Technology will continue to improve batteries, infrastructure will develop as well. We’ll get there, it will just take time.
    What year do you think we will get started? We certainly have put the proverbial cart before the horse. I can’t find any new power generation plants being built in the USA that will supply the masses with cheap and abundant electrical energy to power our future. With the mandates imposed already for a coming date in the very near future the likelihood of a smooth transition is disappearing.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I will not be hopping in until after after they perfect quantum dot solar technology. Basically it amplifies available light energy in the panel and can power products like the solar cell does on a calculator indoors.

Imagine a cell phone you never have to charge because it just works and stores energy from the ambient light available from around it, or a car that its panels can fully charge the battery in under an hour or power itself while underway during normal/cloudy daylight conditions?

Imagine just pulling underneath a street lamp at night and being able to charge your car?

But this is still a long way off and is just under development now. Until it becomes self sufficient ev's will not work as a solution as the current infrastructure cannot support the amount of additional current needed to power/charge everyone's cars.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 01-01-2023 at 09:39 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    What year do you think we will get started? We certainly have put the proverbial cart before the horse. I can’t find any new power generation plants being built in the USA that will supply the masses with cheap and abundant electrical energy to power our future. With the mandates imposed already for a coming date in the very near future the likelihood of a smooth transition is disappearing.
    When the aliens come for a visit and gift us with a perpetual motion machine!
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

There are many things to say against electrification, but also alot in favour of them, but with the planet in mind, solutions have to come up, that are feasible, workable for everyone, I go to my work , on an ordinary bycicle, the shop is 4km's from my house, I do own a car, mostly driven by the wife, to get groceries, and a spyder for fun. I have a VW transporter diesel, for mobile jobs, and two mini's as lend vehicles, one is fully electric, with a range of just about 110 km's effective.
    When my customers are put for the choice, electric or petrol, most choose the petrol one, just for the obvious reasons...

Bottomline is all about the money, we need to spend, to electrify the world, change is eminent, there are promising start-ups on Liquid natural gas, Hydrogen, but to get the whole world electirfied, is imho an impossible task, just not going to be done in the time table, the politici require....

Troughout history, all changes had their challenges, mostly to get every head to turn in the same direction, For now it's just a paper reality, but for the near future( read decade), things are going to change.

In a perfect world, electric could work, but I for myself see more in hydrogen, easy to produce, storable, easier to get widely available, and a better energy carrier than petrol.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post

But we need the infrastructure first. (Off Topic: Will the current power grid support the electric vehicles) ?

Deanna
    In my opinion no. They have been too busy taking profits for a lot of years instead of investing back into the system. I remember the days when they kept a whole fleet of vehicles in our city for maintenance and storm damage. Now when something happens they pull trucks from down South and Canada. Hopefully multiple areas will never have serious damage or we'll all be out of power for a long time.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-01-2023 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Agreed. Technology breeds more technology and innovations on current technologies.
    There was a time when computers took up entire rooms.
    Your smart phone has more technological ability and processing power than the the 1st rocket launched into space.
    The internet was never intended to connect the world in the way that it does.
    Heart transplants and other feats of modern medicine were unheard of 100 years ago.
    The US interstate system is old, but not ancient.
    Automobiles and other modes of mechanical transportation really aren't that old.
    Electric vehicles aren't a new concept. Neither is hydrogen or solar powered.
    The infrastructure may not be completely there, but it will be. It takes time. It isn't a finger snap and voila.
    It all boils down to $, the ability to scale, and get people to move beyond apprehension, fear, mistrust, etc.
    Regardless of any of our stances or views, change is inevitable. It isn't always easy or smooth, but it happens with or without our expressed consent.
    We're 1 day closer to getting there and 1 day farther away from where we were. Cheers Folks! Welcome to 2023
    Last edited by JohnRuckus; 01-01-2023 at 12:14 PM.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check this out, this is what they now do with fork lifts, why not cars trucks motorcycles AND Spyders

https://www.facebook.com/reel/686163...&fs=e&s=9RfQYY
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 01-01-2023 at 12:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    In my opinion no. They have been too busy taking profits for a lot of years instead of investing back into the system. I remember the days when they kept a whole fleet of vehicles in our city for maintenance and storm damage. Now when something happens they pull trucks from down South and Canada. Hopefully multiple areas will never have serious damage or we'll all be out of power for a long time.
    Here in VT. if something happens they pull power trucks from Canada and other places to help.

What happens if to the recycle able batteries?

OK.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post

Lil concern with mention of BRP connect. What else will it mess up? **note am happily with out it, have read too many failures about it**

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Here are the problems (Just my 2 cents)
    When the batteries are developed and then the patent is sold to gas companies, you will never see that technology ever again (Texaco bought the battery patent for the Saturn Cars batteries)
    They all got scrapped and the people who leased them wanted to buy and could not, instead, they were sent to a junk yard (there was nothing wrong with the cars)
    If you think the power companies are going to let you charge the battery on your car under a street light for free, think again, someone has to pay for light, and the one paying for the power on that light may have something to say about it.

Most people don't want a substation near their homes because of the lines that emit EMF
    The infrastructure cannot handle all electric cars (look at Calif and Texas) They have a hard time just trying to maintain power for hot days or cold days.
    The recycling and manufacturing of the batteries is bad for the environment, plus we do not have the materials to make the batteries (China does) So you give up one for another.

I am all for clean air and less pollution, I want my grandkids to have clean air, but at what cost? The oil companies should find a way to get better mileage and less pollution from the gas they sell.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-02-2023 at 12:10 PM. Reason: patient (one undergoing medical care) - patent (protection like a trademark or brand name) ;-)

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Looked into powering a house off the grid with solar, wind and generator supplemental power. Need all three to be effective and efficient, and to enjoy our daily requirements (no one wants to give anything up). This report noticed that the green, renewable energy sector was starting to encroach and pass the 1% power generation in the US. The US utilities are operated for profit, and the companies are beholding to the shareholders. The increase in green, renewable energy was and is seen to be a detriment to the financial model of most utilities. These utilities lobbied the law makers to restrict the green, renewable energy projects, and have been successful in doing so.

There was one utility that has the foresight to see green, renewable energy projects as a way to diversify and get on this bandwagon. It was in the eastern states, and the CEO diversified and created a new division regarding this. This CEO created a division that would work with the consumer and help the consumer meet his goals.

One issue with going green with renewable energy, most want to have the product and promote the concept that they are saving the planet, but do not want to do the work to achieve this. The CEO I mention knew this and the customers were charged accordingly, no loss of revenue.

This is similar to the death of the electric car early on. The big four auto companies in the US lobbied the law makers such that they devastated the industry until now. It is a growing fad and concern, but most of the hype is drama and feel good for those in power. Atlanta used to be the EV capital of the US until the subsidies started to dry up, very fickle population we have.

There was a news story on the EV in Prince George BC because of the cold temps. There was concern regarding starting the EV, a non-issue. The more important issue is that the EV range was cut by 50% and this was only around town. To venture forth and travel, won't happen. The alternate transportation infrastructure in Canada is paltry at best and the cost to use it is exorbitant. I challenge anyone with an EV to travel from Prince George to Whitehorse at this time of year and not experience range anxiety and/or power issues.

The issue with the reusable grocery bags, or one time plastic - there are compostable bags now. A reusable plastic bag takes approximately 25 or so times to become a landfill item, the reusable cloth/plastic bags some 150 times; however, there are more of the latter being used/purchased, and people cannot recycle these. Walmart provides its bags when you order on line for delivery, but you cannot return these to Walmart. People are inundated with these and with no where to dispose of these, it's to the landfill they go.

Asbestos disposal is another area that is not compostable. The bags used - must be double bagged, to dispose of this product will be around for hundreds of years in landfills. Good environmental stewardship.

Power grid requirements. Don't look to Canada for additional, new power infrastructure. Big business realizes that Canada is a sea of red tape and special interest groups that makes any major project a non-starter.

Just a few thoughts. Cheers and happy New Year.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

And yet, Canada was once a world leader in supplying nuclear power plants around the world. AECL also was a center for both nuclear and atomic physics research. There were marvelous nuclear engineers at Chalk River. What happened?
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c