Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

This whole thread seems me to be much ado about nothing. Why not just keep a spare in the pocket of your riding gear (jacket, pants) or in what-ever pants you ride in be it jeans or safety gear. I really see no sense or need to hide one on the Spyder itself.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    This whole thread seems me to be much ado about nothing. Why not just keep a spare in the pocket of your riding gear (jacket, pants) or in what-ever pants you ride in be it jeans or safety gear. I really see no sense or need to hide one on the Spyder itself.
    .... and I was thinking about removing the ( flat ) key from the frunk and putting it in my wallet ..... but then thought I have occasionally forgotten my wallet - but I have never forgotten my Spyder ( yet ) ..... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Valid point, IF you are not concerned you might lose something from your pocket some day. I have a pocket knife, somewhere on this earth, that I lost or misplaced just a few weeks ago. No idea where it might be! And my car key fob fell out of my pocket in the recliner just a few days ago, but I found it right away, fortunately. So, as BK says, I've lost stuff out of my pocket, but I've never lost my Spyder!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Valid point, IF you are not concerned you might lose something from your pocket some day. I have a pocket knife, somewhere on this earth, that I lost or misplaced just a few weeks ago. No idea where it might be! And my car key fob fell out of my pocket in the recliner just a few days ago, but I found it right away, fortunately. So, as BK says, I've lost stuff out of my pocket, but I've never lost my Spyder!
    That potential issue is easy fixed, Idaho. Use a small tether clipped to your jeans, with your BRP key holder on it. Get off the Spyder, key goes in holder, no chance of it “falling out”. Unless of course, as I mentioned earlier, someone steal your jeans (hopefully not while you are wearing them).

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    That potential issue is easy fixed, Idaho. Use a small tether clipped to your jeans, with your BRP key holder on it. Get off the Spyder, key goes in holder, no chance of it “falling out”. Unless of course, as I mentioned earlier, someone steal your jeans (hopefully not while you are wearing them).

Pete
    But what about when I forget to clip the tether to my jeans when I leave the house? I mean if I can forget my phone or comb my hair, both of which I've done, how can I be sure I don't forget the tether, especially when it would not be something I would need to take every day? Finding a fix isn't the problem, forgetfulness is the problem. I've put stuff on a chair in the garage to be sure I take it with me the next time I go to the city. Sure enough, I've gotten to city 30 miles away and go to grab the stuff only to realize I walked right past and it's still on the chair!
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 01-10-2023 at 04:32 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I for one also keep a spare key outside ALL my vehicles and a house spare key outside our home...There is nothing more stupid feeling than being locked out of your vehicle at the car wash or highway rest area because your dog stepped on the lock rocker switch...BEEN THERE, DONE THAT...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I for one also keep a spare key outside ALL my vehicles and a house spare key outside our home...There is nothing more stupid feeling than being locked out of your vehicle at the car wash or highway rest area because your dog stepped on the lock rocker switch...BEEN THERE, DONE THAT...larryd
    Well, that's possibly not strictly true, cos there's always that feeling you get when you come home/back to your bike to discover that some low-life scumbag has used your 'hidden' key to rob you blind.... And then to have it compounded by your insurance company refusing to cover the claim AT ALL, or maybe just paying out on a percentage of it because YOU left a key where it could be found & so contributed significantly to the theft!!

Only THEN will you truly feel the fullness of that stupid feeling coming home to roost!!

Don't laugh &/or think "but that'll never happen to me", cos it happens waaayyy more than you might like to think!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-10-2023 at 07:02 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Well, that's possibly not strictly true, cos there's always that feeling you get when you come home/back to your bike to discover that some low-life scumbag has used your 'hidden' key to rob you blind.... And then to have it compounded by your insurance company refusing to cover the claim AT ALL, or maybe just paying out on a percentage of it because YOU left a key where it could be found & so contributed significantly to the theft!!

Only THEN will you truly feel the fullness of that stupid feeling coming home to roost!!

Don't laugh &/or think "but that'll never happen to me", cos it happens waaayyy more than you might like to think!
    But aren't you one who has said the Spyder is not much of a theft target? Or are you referring to cars?

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

But aren't you one who has said the Spyder is not much of a theft target? Or are you referring to cars?
    I did say that Spyders aren't too much of a theft target (YET!) But in the post you quoted above, I wasn't just refering to Spyders, but also to all those other things where leaving the key accessible is simply going to add to how stupid you'll feel if or more likely when someone does use said key to make themselves happy at your expense!

But if you read the rest of that post where I mentioned Spyders might not be such a significant target yet, I believe that I also said (& in bigger'n bolder type at that! ) that you shouldn't make life easy for the crims and contribute to rapidly rising Insurance Premiums for the rest of us by hiding a fully functioning key for your Spyder (or car, truck, house, anything really! ) actually in it somewhere; on it somewhere; or even under the front 'Welcome' door mat!

I think it's just plain silly to make it easy for the crims, and for those who do by hiding a key on their Spyders et al, it's not only making YOUR bike/car/home more of a target, it's also increasing the likelihood that the crims will start targeting everyone else's Spyders too, cos once they find a few with the keys conveniently supplied somewhere on-board, they'll start thinking that the rest of us might do the same!

And the Insurance companies & Police Reports believe the evidence on all this is clear - if YOU can think of somewhere that you might think of as 'smart' or 'safe' to hide said fully functioning key on/in, then the crims can and will find it if/when they ever go looking, so are you prepared to risk it & rely on the rep of Spyders being less likely to be stolen than taking sensible precautions & not leaving them a key to your hard earned/bought possessions??

My contacts in the Police & Insurance world here in Oz tell me that the stats on this (and other stolen stuff too) are quite clear - they show that the crims will most likely find any hidden keys waaay quicker than you could retrieve them if/when you ever do lose your key, COS THAT'S WHAT THEY DO- IT'S THEIR BUSINESS TO KNOW, AND SOME ARE BLOODY GOOD AT IT!! And once one crim has found a hiding place, they share that info around - just like everyone here who's told the World about their particular choice of hiding place has already done!!

Besides, the incidence of Spyders/Rykers being stolen is fairly quickly climbing, even faster than the insurance premiums on them are atm, largely because they are increasingly being seen by the crims as a 'soft' target that's often un-protected &/or has the key stashed somewhere accessible; plus, any one Spyder/Ryker broken into or flogged is very likely to yield a good return in easily 'convertible for cash' parts &/or farkles, trinkets etc, basically due to the demographics of those most often owning them.... ie. you'n me!

So why be your own worst enemy??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-10-2023 at 09:09 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Nah let em go for it.

At the end of the day what can possibly go wrong?

The message has been repeated several times.

Reminds me of that saying "there are none so blind as those who will not see"

Jer. 5:21
    "Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not."
    Last edited by Isopedella; 01-10-2023 at 11:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Snoking...That is one SHARP Spyder LIKE that color Was that a one year only color???
    2017 AND 2018 only two years for the Champagne color. My 2018 on the far right and friend Therese on her 2017 next to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

personally i would never have a spare key hidden on any vehicle, that being said this is how i (me & wife ) do it.
    spare key/fob is handed over to trusted friend.
    if i/we lose key trusted friend is contacted given situation and current location and spare key/fob is sent same day or 24 hour delivery.
    PITA yes, but i don't have to worry about having both keys lost stolen.

Spyder Garage

how can I be sure I don't forget the tether, especially when it would not be something I would need to take every day?
    Idaho, I know your reply was humourous, but re the above sentence…….I have two pairs of jeans that I wear when riding. Both of them have a small tether permanently clipped to a belt loop and the key holder resides in the pocket. No chance of forgetting the tether, and it quickly becomes habit to pull the key and pop it in the holder when dismounting.
    I do occasionally wear shorts in summer, but only for a trip of less than 2 miles, so help is close at hand.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-11-2023 at 09:30 PM. Reason: tender - tether ;-)
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Reminds me of that saying "there are none so blind as those who will not see"
    I remember a very experienced mentor telling me early in my career that, based on real life experience, the above saying should, in many cases, be rewritten to -

“There are none so blind as those who don’t agree with ME’

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I remember a very experienced mentor telling me early in my career that, based on real life experience, the above saying should, in many cases, be rewritten to -

“There are none so blind as those who don’t agree with ME’

Pete
    haha. I reckon you must hide ya front door under the mat.

So why is it not a good idea to keep it on your person and not the vehicle?
    Last edited by Isopedella; 01-17-2023 at 01:04 AM.

Spyder Garage

Mine is laced into the inside of my boot . . . and I never leave home without them!
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799