Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Got any ideas on where to Hide a key?

2022 Spyder RTL

Anyone have an idea where to hide a spare key on the Spyder? I'd hate to be on a trip and something happens to the key.

TIA
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-30-2022 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question

Spyder Garage

i have a rear rack on trunk, on a long trip put in a key in duffle bag that was strapped onto rack. its out of anything spyder lockable and on bike or in hotel.

or i have seen a small compartment that goes behind license plate that opens with a different key that can hold stuff.

OR, if you put a hidden wire on seat latch that can only open if you know it there. reach up under seat and pull, will open seat, tape a small box in there to hold key
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Thanks. Some good ideas.

Spyder Garage

Carry a properly beveled Ilco X270 cut to match the chipped key in your wallet and put your second chipped key in the locked frunk. Bevel the Ilco blank the same way your chipped keys are beveled and you can do everything but start the Spyder with the Ilco.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ya, I do the same thing. I have a flat key cut to match and all it can do is unlock the trunk/frunk/saddlebags. Then get the spare to start the bike.

FD552505-BEF3-4647-B93B-65B91CB60A06.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

How many Spyders have you ever heard of being stolen?? They aren't really all that much of a prime choice for the low-lives, they are much more a target of opportunity for someone who sees a chance... So park it in a secure, well lit, & frequently patrolled area if you are truly concerned, but that said & done, whatever you do, wherever you carry your spare key, it should NOT be physically on your Spyder! Cos if you can think of somewhere to hide a key actually on your Spyder, what makes you think the crims can't work out where to find it! Besides, by posting it up here, you will have given any crims who might be seriously interested in flogging a Spyder a heads up on where to look!

So I'd suggest the best place to carry a spare key is with your Pillion or maybe with a Ryding Buddy, preferably actually on their person somewhere; & if you ride solo & can't do either of those, just carry it somewhere on your person - hang it on a lanyard around your neck if you must, but you could also put one in your wallet, or sewn into the inside pocket of your jacket, or even just in another pocket somewhere - at least that way it's with you and not with the bike where it'll only be making it easier for those seriously looking to flog a Spyder to be able to find it & use it!

And if you really feel you must carry a Spare somewhere accessible actually on the Spyder AND your DESS is still working, at least make sure any 'hidden on the bike' key is a non-chipped key so that when they find it (and if they want to, you better believe that they WILL! ) they can't quite so easily start the thing up & ride off with it!

Still, you're really only ever going to stop the lightweights of the criminal world, cos if a competent crook wants your Spyder, they'll take it, and nothing you can do will stop them! I've seen bikes that were locked in secured & alarmed premises that were chained to a massive beam set in the floor with one or more of those dirty great un-breakable/un-cut able chains get stolen - cos they were attractive & a serious crim wanted them, so nothing stopped them....Guards, Alarms, & locks can usually either be avoided or be subverted or overcome by other means, and it's amazing what lengths a crim who seriously wants something will go to! What owner would ever think they'd need to protect their bike chain/locks from liquid nitrogen & a simple hammer blow! There again, why go to all those lengths & then be silly enough to leave the key anywhere NEAR the bloody bike!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-10-2023 at 09:05 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Ya, I do the same thing. I have a flat key cut to match and all it can do is unlock the trunk/frunk/saddlebags. Then get the spare to start the bike.

Bevel the shoulders of that key or it won't work. Match it up to the chipped key and you'll see. I found that out the hard way. LOL

Spyder Garage

I'm with you Peter. If you must have a spare close by, it shouldn't be with the machine. Keep on you in some compartment on your gear, belt, etc. Not the machine though. That is almost as bad as leaving a house key under the doormat.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

I use a plastic "kide a key" box with magnets on the back. I stick it up under the tupperware by the front wheel. I "stick" it to a flat metal plate that is awkward to reach and not visible ( the key box is black). I have no idea what the plate is for, but it does not get hot.

Spyder Garage

our spare key is on a lanyard around my wife's neck if she is with me. Otherwise it is around my neck. Don't see any need to hide a key.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I take a spare key with me on on all rides. I dont "hide one on the ride",...... really.....Yeah Nah.
    I place my spare key in one in one of the many pockets of my ATGATT riding gear.
    I also dont hide my front door key under the mat or nearby.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    our spare key is on a lanyard around my wife's neck if she is with me. Otherwise it is around my neck. Don't see any need to hide a key.
    Yep..
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

When I am on a long trip I tape it to my inside my right side panel (2021). You can pop it off with the seat down. I also keep a non chipped key taped to the back of the glove box when pulled out so that it hidden when it is in place. This is handy to get in to the frunk when you lock your key in it that is in your coat... hehe..
    2021 Syder RT Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

After having the DESS module re-moved on my 14 RT, I put my Ilco 270 key in my Frunk..... I cut a piece of 5/8" plywood to fit the bottom in case I had a smallish Heavy object that night bounce and crack the plastic.... I put the key under it .... I'm not worried it might be used to start my Spyder ( other than me ). .... A few years back I lost my key in a store I was shopping at, and luckily found it when I went back to look for it. So I ALWAYS carry a spare now ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Remove front speaker grill. Hook it on a wire.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Ken View Post
    Remove front speaker grill. Hook it on a wire.
    I removed the OEM part from my 14 RT ..... it had to be CUT out ....I then added attachment brackets that I screw on ... I did this so the radiators could be easier to clean...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have s spare key zip tied fast under the drivers seat...I do NOT need a key to unlock and raise the seat...My drivers seat has a super strong magnet holding it closed...This magnet idea also eliminated the need for a emergency release cable if the key lock cable system fails...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post

x3 as well as another chipped keys with trusted (*trusted & too scared of motorcycles to attempt misbehaving*)family member that can mail to me if everything else goes wrong.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Bevel the shoulders of that key or it won't work. Match it up to the chipped key and you'll see. I found that out the hard way. LOL
    My 270 will open the rear cases, however it will not work for the frunk or seat. Tell me more about the shoulders of the Spyder keys.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    My 270 will open the rear cases, however it will not work for the frunk or seat. Tell me more about the shoulders of the Spyder keys.
    Snoking...That is one SHARP Spyder LIKE that color Was that a one year only color???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I have s spare key zip tied fast under the drivers seat...I do NOT need a key to unlock and raise the seat...My drivers seat has a super strong magnet holding it closed...This magnet idea also eliminated the need for a emergency release cable if the key lock cable system fails...larryd
    Would love to see some pics of this setup, sounds very interesting
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well Peter, I agree that Spyders actually are not a significant theft target. But the history of Spyders not being stolen is a lot longer now than it was in 2015 when I hid a spare key on my Spyder! I would probably hide one differently now. But losing the primary key from my pocket, or forgetting where I set it down, when away from home becomes more of a possibility every year!

I have an X270 key velcroed to the inside end of a mirror. With that key I raise the seat to get to the tool kit, and then I unlock the trunk. With the tool kit I remove the passenger backrest and retrieve a chip key from behind it. It's a lot of steps, but sure beats walking miles to get help!

Oh, and as time goes by the likelihood of the Spyder being a theft target diminishes, but the likelihood of my leaving a spare key at home, or losing it from my body or luggage, greatly increases. The only thing I need to worry about now is some day forgetting where on the Spyder my spares are!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP key holder on a fob from a belt loop to the front pocket of my riding pants, and pop the key in that when I get off the RT. It makes the chance of mislaying your key very unlikely.

Ahhhhhhh, I hear you say…….what if someone steals your pants? ……. Don’t worry, I have a key hidden in the frunk, which I can open via my hidden latch release cable.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

If you don't have a " chipped " key, & have the flat / thin X270 ... just put the spare in your wallet ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

Oh, and as time goes by the likelihood of the Spyder being a theft target diminishes, but the likelihood of my leaving a spare key at home, or losing it from my body or luggage, greatly increases. The only thing I need to worry about now is some day forgetting where on the Spyder my spares are!

Yep, that's a worry! But just wait until you start forgetting where you put your SPYDER!!

Not me (not yet, anyway! ) but I've seen it happen And I saw the comment on the Police Report after they'd found it - exactly where the owner left it, just near a different door in the Parking complex!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!