Spyder Garage

Default Blank master keys

Merry Christmas spyder lovers! I am looking to buy blank master keys for the spyders, is you have a lot of them, I can buy in bulk. You have 1? I'll buy it. Post your offers, I really need them!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RUKNOT View Post
    Merry Christmas spyder lovers! I am looking to buy blank master keys for the spyders, is you have a lot of them, I can buy in bulk. You have 1? I'll buy it. Post your offers, I really need them!
    IMHO a Key Blank that has the correct grooves / channels etc. can be made into a Master Key .... however it still has have a corresponding CHIP to use it as an engine start key ..... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I bought two Can Am keys at my local ACE hardware store. They look like the originals, but have no chip in them. I have DESS disabled and they will start my RT.
    2015 RT , Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Keys

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I bought two Can Am keys at my local ACE hardware store. They look like the originals, but have no chip in them. I have DESS disabled and they will start my RT.
    So you are saying that if a person disabled the 'DESS' system you can just use a non-chipped Key?
    This will enable you to start and run your Spyder?
    My first thought on this was 'wow'. Learned something new today. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Don't you only need a Master Key to program extra keys into the computer on 2013 & earlier Spyders?? And IIRC, you can simply copy the cut & then clone your existing 2013 &/or earlier key (or vice versa) anyway, IF you've still got one key that works in your 2013 &/0r earlier Spyder! But if you've lost all the keys to your 2013 &/or earlier Spyder, I believe you'll need to buy a new DESS module & unless you can find a Locksmith to replicate a key that'll fit & work in your existing ignition tumbler, you'll probably also need a new ignition & key set besides!

So unless you're planning to be on-selling them, surely you'd only need the ONE Master Key to let you program other keys in to whatever 2013 &/or earlier Spyder you're working on at the time. You just need to Finish programming up to the maximum of Four keys into that particular Spyder's computer; take the computer out of programming mode by finalising the key load process and remove the Master Key; then move on to the next 2013 &/or earlier Spyder, where you can use the same Master Key to program in more keys for that next bike, and so on, ad infinitum!

AFAIK, 2014 & on Spyders with the 'all new DESS' (that caused so much hassle by not working reliably ) didn't need a Master Key at all, just BUDS to add more keys!?! :donknow: Or you could always simply use BUDS the once to disable the DESS, and then you can get any non-chipped key blank that fits cut to work, and your Spyder won't ever strand you due to a DESS/Key failure again!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-28-2022 at 08:19 PM. Reason: hed - head ... :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    .... After " Joel the Biker " dis-abled my 14 RT DESS, I bought 3 extra keys on E-bay for $10.00 +/- ..... I keep a spare in my wallet and another taped inside the Frunk. ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

2014 and on, the DESS can be disable if you have the Buds software and have the right license to be able to this.
    2010 RT
    2015 Ural
    1980 & 1982 R65 BMW
    1975 R90/6 BMW
    1956 Triumph TR3A

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Donbmw View Post
    2014 and on, the DESS can be disable if you have the Buds software and have the right license to be able to this.
    ..... and let me add from 08 thru 13 there were almost no DESS issue's. It appears BRP can't leave well enough alone ..... Same goes for the Drive Sprocket ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... and let me add from 08 thru 13 there were almost no DESS issue's. It appears BRP can't leave well enough alone ..... Same goes for the Drive Sprocket ..... JMHO .... Mike
    Just don’t lose all your keys on 08 - 13 models.
    2010 RT
    2015 Ural
    1980 & 1982 R65 BMW
    1975 R90/6 BMW
    1956 Triumph TR3A

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Donbmw View Post
    Just don’t lose all your keys on 08 - 13 models.
    ....I think you missed the point ...... from 08 to 13 you DIDN'T need multiple copies of the keys, because you DIDN'T worry about the DESS module. ..... An engineer at BRP fixed something that wasn't BROKEN..... and then went on the FIX the also NOT broken Drive Sprocket ..... your welcome .... Mike

Spyder Garage

....I think you missed the point ...... from 08 to 13 you DIDN'T need multiple copies of the keys, because you DIDN'T worry about the DESS module. ..... An engineer at BRP fixed something that wasn't BROKEN..... and then went on the FIX the also NOT broken Drive Sprocket ..... your welcome .... Mike
    I did not miss the point. On all models if you don’t have multiple keys program, have one you can get to when lose one you are going to be stuck.
    2010 RT
    2015 Ural
    1980 & 1982 R65 BMW
    1975 R90/6 BMW
    1956 Triumph TR3A

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    So you are saying that if a person disabled the 'DESS' system you can just use a non-chipped Key?
    This will enable you to start and run your Spyder?
    My first thought on this was 'wow'. Learned something new today. .....
    Yes. I have two chipped keys and two non chipped keys I got just for saddlebag lock. Once DESS is disabled all four keys will start my 2015 RT.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Engineering didn't have a thing to do with it. Bean counters found a vendor that sells units for less, quality be damned. It's ALL about the bottom line.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

The problem is that i have a 2013 CAN-AM, and can not disable Dess. It has a metallic key, no chip. And I wanted to program a new key. Didn't work out, should have done more research. Bought new key lock and DESS, So I guess ill still need one just to make more copies

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The problem is that i have a 2013 CAN-AM, and can not disable Dess. It has a metallic key, no chip. And I wanted to program a new key. Didn't work out, should have done more research. Bought new key lock and DESS, So I guess ill still need one just to make more copies
    Well, I’ll try. You’ve bought a new lock and DESS module. After you install them, the very first time you turn on the new lock and power up the machine, the new DESS module boots up into programming mode without needing any master key. You can’t start the bike yet. That’s your opportunity to program the two new BRP keys that you received with the new switch. You don’t need or use a master key for this. Once you complete programming the keys and exit programming mode, then you have two working keys that will start the bike.

After that, if you just want to make more spare keys, because you have a 2013 and older, you can get your locksmith or Ace Hardware to clone keys. Or, you can buy the cloning tool yourself. Just buy as many of these transponder blanks as you want and cut and clone them to your two BRP keys that came with the new switch.

https://ekeyblanks.com/Zadi-ZD23RT5-...er-Key-Blanks/

So, unless you messed up somewhere in this process, no, you don’t need a master key just to make copies for use as spare keys. You only need a master key to add a new, OEM BRP key with a different code than the two you already have…which isn’t really necessary unless you lose one of the BRP keys and want to get a new one programmed, even though you’ll still have the clone of the one you lost.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 01-05-2023 at 05:02 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

If you now have even just one working key, you can get that one cloned by a good locksmith, so if that's the case, you don't really need a Master Key at all!

With one working key, it means it's already programmed, so instead of adding 3 more keys via the Master Key & programming (to give you the maximum of 4 keys the system will accept) you can get your locksmith with the correct 'blanks with chips' to make however many clones of the working key you might want - 1,4,10, 40, 100.... who cares how many, they're effectively the same key so they'll all work! And you don't need a Master Key AT ALL to do that... just so long as you have one working key, which should've come with your new Key Lock & DESS
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-06-2023 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Sorry for doubling up on part of Snowbelt Doug's reply - I must've been typing while he was posting :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

thx for the reply, but I have a just metal key. No chip. So it wont work, new dess system incoming.

Spyder Garage

thx for the reply, but I have a just metal key. No chip. So it wont work, new dess system incoming.
    Didn't you say you also"Bought new key lock and DESS" in post #14? Here's the bit where you mentioned it:

.... Bought new key lock and DESS, So I guess ill still need one just to make more copies

What're you calling the new 'Key Lock'?? Cos if you've purchased the new ignition bit that accepts a key as well as buying the new DESS Module, which is a separate part, then that Key Lock bit generally comes with 2 New Keys to suit it - well, it generally does here in Oz anyway, unless you're buying the Key & Barrel separately too, in which case you only get 1?!?! Either way, the New Key/s that come with it will be the correct chipped key/s for that Ignition and that version of DESS; so when you install that new lock and DESS Module, then as Snowbelt Spyder's post #15 says, the first time you start the bike after the new Key Lock & DESS are installed, the system will automatically & without a Master Key, go into Programming Mode so that you can program in the 2 New Keys that came with the Lock bit, AND any other 2013 & earlier chipped keys you may have on hand at the time - well, TWO more anyway, cos it'll only let you program in a total of FOUR keys; IIRC, if you keep programming extra keys in after that, it just pushes the earlier Key ID's out, as you can only ever have FOUR different Key ID's programmed

So if you're getting a new Ignition (or Key Lock if that's what you're calling it ) then you shouldn't need a Master Key unless you want to buy & add more than 2 more of the 2013 & earlier chipped keys at some later time down track - but if you've already GOT the 2 New Keys that come with the New Lock, why not just clone them instead? That way, you can run as many keys as you like, cos they'll all have the same Key ID as whichever one of those first 2 New Keys they were cloned from, and there'll be No need for a Master Key....

Just Sayin'....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-07-2023 at 04:59 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think he meant he bought the new lock and DESS but it's being delivered by way of a slow boat to China!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)