Spyder Garage

Lightbulb How hard is it to do an Alignment - 2022 Ryker 900?

I bought my wife a Ryker 900. We got back from a ride and the bars are no longer straight when the wheels are. Local dealer does not align them due to not having the equipment. Next nearest dealer is over 100 miles from us, and they want over $300 to do it. How hard is it to do at home? I've set the toe on vehicles using a tape measure, but I can't access the back side of the tire with the fender.
    Also, how the heck can they get away with charging so much? It costs me less than $200 for a 4-wheel alignment on my Audi RS6.
    Sacramento CA. Area
    Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-23-2022 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question

Spyder Garage

As a professional Master Automotive Technician I’ve aligned several hundred vehicles, cars, trucks, full four wheel alignment with front and rear caster, camber, toe and driveline and never ever received more than one hour of pay all while using either magnetic bubble gauges, light aligned or lasers. Alignments needed to correct after a repair under warranty were significantly less. If you slacken off one tie-rod end and tighten the opposite side the same amount you can center the steering effectively. I haven’t heard a valid reasoning for why the Spyder alignment is so expensive or how people noted significant improvements in handling. As a operator your concern is for straight steering and low scrub which is adjusted by front toe settings. The Spyder offers no other adjustment. I think they get away with the high prices because it’s a toy and therefore seasonal employment opportunities.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage
    2012 RSS
    2022 RT Limited
    2021 Ryker 600
    2021 600 , Black/Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    Good luck doing it that way. He never mentions the rear wheel which is key to getting a correct alignment. When he says that his method is as accurate as a laser system. There is absolutely no way. He is measuring at the tire. Tires are lumpy and not an accurate baseline. You want to measure at the axle hub (which the laser system does). This guy says that toe is not that big a deal and doesn't affect handling? That is an amazing statement!

The laser system moves the measurement point out several feet. This greatly exaggerates the 'misalignment' amount. Which makes it possible to get a very accurate adjustment. Contrary to what this guy says. This is CRITICAL to the Spyder. And getting the front wheels going in the exact same direction as the rear wheel is also critical. Something his system cannot do.

Maybe the wing conversions are not as alignment sensitive as the Spyder. I don't know.

As far as price. You can get a quality laser alignment done for less than 1/2 the price quoted. Getting it done where you are may be a different story. If you can get to a Spyder event where a vendor is doing alignments is a great option. It does take some time to do a proper job. Then BUDS must be used to zero out your Steering Position Sensor. If you are not doing very many alignments. The equipment cost can be hard to recover at lower rates.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-24-2022 at 12:24 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Doesn't sound like he needs an alignment. Sounds like the handlebars are loose and need to be straightened and tightened up.

Spyder Garage

I believe there is either a service bulletin or a recall on the handlebar adjustment/alignment on the Rykers. My wife's threw a code and they mentioned the bulletin when we brought it in.
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gskinner View Post
    Doesn't sound like he needs an alignment. Sounds like the handlebars are loose and need to be straightened and tightened up.
    Very possible. Just coming at it from the direction the OP started. But the Ryker did have handlebar attachment issues. Good catch!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gskinner View Post

That's how I read it. He said the "handle bars" are not straight when the wheels are. Sounds like the dreaded handle bar bolt issue.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Bring it to me. I’ll fix it. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I agree with gskinner, its the bars that are wrong. Mine was that way and fixed it under warranty.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-04-2023 at 06:10 PM. Reason: y ;-)
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

I don't think it is a alignment issue.
    If the bars were straight when you started and off when you came back, something else is going on.
    The bolt only holds the handlebar mount down. the mount is keyed and takes the turning stress.
    It's under warranty, have the dealer fix it.
    If someone other than the dealer works on it might void the warranty.

Spyder Garage

Did you ever get this sorted out.