Spyder Garage

Default Under rear seat push button that affects the speed???

I was watching a Martin Vlogger video and he sells a cap that replaces the one on many of the Spyders. He says that it detects a rear passenger and it slows the bike down for safety. REALLY??

My ride is in the shop right now so I can't check to see.

https://www.martinthevlogger.com/pro...ed-push-button

Is this the sensor that adds pressure to the rear shock when a passenger is on board?

Thanks all.
    Last edited by captcharles; 12-22-2022 at 10:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

LOL! news to me. As far as I know it adjusts the suspension for a passenger. Nothing more,nothing less. I don't think it slows the bike down.... ha ha
    Jim Summers - Pensacola FL
    www.PensacolaHouseHunters.com
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Here's what the manufacturer says:

Passenger Seat FIXED push button will prevent your bike from going to REDUCED POWER MODE when having the passenger seat installed while having extra items (such as: extra bag, tent or sleeping bag etc) on you passenger seat when rYding.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captcharles View Post
    Here's what the manufacturer says:

Passenger Seat FIXED push button will prevent your bike from going to REDUCED POWER MODE when having the passenger seat installed while having extra items (such as: extra bag, tent or sleeping bag etc) on you passenger seat when rYding.
    I must not know what "reduced power mode" is. I dont carry a passenger, but this is a first for me....
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure that button DOES NOT actually reduce power as such, even if Martin does explain it that way, but it does enhance the Nanny's attention to your Spyder's stability & braking, traction control, ABS, EBD, Yaw Sensor etc, and she won't let you go quite so crazy without stepping in a bit earlier than she might if you were riding solo.. And any weight or tension equivalent to more than about 20 pounds on the rear seat will trigger that switch & put the Nanny into hyper-vigilance mode cos she thinks you've got a pillion passenger aboard!

So Martin's little cap is just one way of making sure that you don't needlessly retard your enjoyment when you simply strap a parcel onto the pillion seat, or maybe tie your jacket down onto it tight enough that it won't flap in the wind or blow off as you whip thru the twisties!! But you really should remember to remove that cap &/or any other 'switch trigger avoiding' device you might have fitted when you do carry a pillion, or you might find out how easy it really is to upset &/or flip one of these things when your pillion passenger does exactly the wrong thing at exactly the wrong moment and the Nanny doesn't step in quick enough or hard enough to save you & your pillion from your own exuberance - or your own stupidity, but maybe that was just me?!

Just Sayin'

Ps: that 'pillion detecting under-seat switch' doesn't have anything directly to do with the rear suspension &/or its height settings either; any change to that is simply a feature of adding extra weight to the pillion seat that lowers the rear suspension a little, thereby changing the height detected by the sensor attached to the swing arm, which triggers the addition of more air to the air bag - IF the ACS is working properly anyway!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-22-2022 at 11:10 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have that passenger button under the seat blocked off now with MARTINS Cap...I had it shimmed with 2 spacers I made several years ago...I almost always ride two up...My seat of the pants dyno says and feels there's a difference...

It was my understanding that the under the seat switch reduced power when riding two up for stability purposes???

I like it...larryd

Spyder Garage

Before Martin came out with his ring for this I found that the large cap that comes on a gal of Mobil 1 oil I used for my Audi oil changes was the correct size to fit inside the button cap on my F3. What I did was cut the top of the cap off leaving the threaded part (ring) that fit perfectly under the Spyder cap preventing the button from being depressed. I rode solo with a bag strapped to the back seat.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

The button under the seat is to be pressed by the weight of a passenger and it stops the nanny computer from going into full sport mode when it is pressed. You can check this by pressing it with the seat off and watching the instrument panel to see if it goes to sport mode without the blocked traction control icon coming up. It will toggle the traction control in any mode, but sport mode would be the most noticeable.

The reason to block the button, if you wish, is that strapping a small, light weight, gym bag with only a light rain jacket or something like that, to the passenger seat with bungee cords or a ratchet strap, will also press the button and keep the nanny from allowing the full sport mode performance. Mine is blocked with an old cover from an electrical box.

It does not change the power or performance. It toggles the traction control of the nanny computer.

See your operator manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gwolf; 12-23-2022 at 07:07 AM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

lol, I have no idea why I said suspension above.
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I'm pretty sure that button DOES NOT actually reduce power as such, even if Martin does explain it that way, but it does enhance the Nanny's attention to your Spyder's stability & braking, traction control, ABS, EBD, Yaw Sensor etc, and she won't let you go quite so crazy without stepping in a bit earlier than she might if you were riding solo.. And any weight or tension equivalent to more than about 20 pounds on the rear seat will trigger that switch & put the Nanny into hyper-vigilance mode cos she thinks you've got a pillion passenger aboard!

So Martin's little cap is just one way of making sure that you don't needlessly retard your enjoyment when you simply strap a parcel onto the pillion seat, or maybe tie your jacket down onto it tight enough that it won't flap in the wind or blow off as you whip thru the twisties!! But you really should remember to remove that cap &/or any other 'switch trigger avoiding' device you might have fitted when you do carry a pillion, or you might find out how easy it really is to upset &/or flip one of these things when your pillion passenger does exactly the wrong thing at exactly the wrong moment and the Nanny doesn't step in quick enough or hard enough to save you & your pillion from your own exuberance - or your own stupidity, but maybe that was just me?!

Just Sayin'

Ps: that 'pillion detecting under-seat switch' doesn't have anything directly to do with the rear suspension &/or its height settings either; any change to that is simply a feature of adding extra weight to the pillion seat that lowers the rear suspension a little, thereby changing the height detected by the sensor attached to the swing arm, which triggers the addition of more air to the air bag - IF the ACS is working properly anyway!!
    You got it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The seat sensor detects weight as in...passenger or cargo. A passenger will give slightly different braking dynamics than a single person on the Spyder. Can make a difference in the stopping distances and overall handling, but will not affect your overall speed or performance.

That is something that I would not recommend disabling.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-26-2022 at 01:15 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I can see where disabling it would be quite appropriate if the ryder has strapped down a 20# bag with bungee cords that pull the bag down. In that case you could activate the switch but with a load so light as to have no adverse impact of handling.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    The seat sensor detects weight as in...passenger or cargo. A passenger will give slightly different braking dynamics than a single person on the Spyder. Can make a difference in the stopping distances and overall handling, but will not affect your overall speed or performance.

I prefer to have it triggered when I have a passenger.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

I was trying to select "SPORT Mode" last week and my 2022 RT S2S would only give me "ECO" or "Standard"

Yet the Owner's Manual page 51 shows all 3 Modes. I couldn't find anything in the owner's Manual that explained how one gets Sport Mode to activate.

This seat switch thing seems to make sense. I'll have to remove the seat and see if I can select SPORT Mode.

BTW here is what the manual says about SPORT Mode:

Sport Mode.png
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

They copy and paste a lot in manuals, should be actual per model. RT doesn't have sport mode, only F3S
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-27-2022 at 03:23 PM. Reason: alot - a lot ;-)
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    RT doesn't have sport mode, only F3S
    Bummer...

I guess there is a Pedal Box in my future
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    They copy and paste a lot in manuals. Should be actual per model. RT doesn't have sport mode, only F3S
    Exactly, no Sport mode on the RT's. Although @captcharles does not specify his model.

Quote Originally Posted by GFrog View Post
    Bummer...

I guess there is a Pedal Box in my future
    I don't have a Sport mode on my RT but I can almost guarantee you there is no way BRP's Sport mode compares to the Pedal Box. I actually have the Pedal Commander but they are functionally equivalent. You won't believe the difference.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-25-2023 at 08:08 AM. Reason: fixed qu
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captcharles View Post
    I was watching a Martin Vlogger video and he sells a cap that replaces the one on many of the Spyders. He says that it detects a rear passenger and it slows the bike down for safety. REALLY??

My ride is in the shop right now so I can't check to see.

https://www.martinthevlogger.com/pro...ed-push-button

Is this the sensor that adds pressure to the rear shock when a passenger is on board?

Thanks all.
    Pay no attention to the blogger behind the curtain..... The button under EVERY SEAT on SPYDERS is for a device that is attached to your seat.
    It does detect the weight of a person sitting on the passenger seat and adjusts the ride control, it has nothing to do with speed!
    It's kinda like the one in your car seat that knows when someone is in the passenger seat and activates the air bag.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-25-2023 at 07:32 PM. Reason: blogger... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Before Martin came out with his ring for this I found that the large cap that comes on a gal of Mobil 1 oil I used for my Audi oil changes was the correct size to fit inside the button cap on my F3. What I did was cut the top of the cap off leaving the threaded part (ring) that fit perfectly under the Spyder cap preventing the button from being depressed. I rode solo with a bag strapped to the back seat.
    I will check that Mobil 1 cap. I was planning to go to home depot and find a pipe a little smaller than the oem cap so it wont trigger the nanny.
    2020 BLACK SPYDER F3S
    BMW EXHAUST TIP
    PUIG WINDSHIELD
    TUFSKINZ TANK PROTECTOR CARBON FIBER
    DISABLED DESS
    LED LIGHTS
    RAM MOUNT
    INSTA 360 X3
    SENA 10C PRO BLUETOOTH
    ALPINESTARS JACKET
    SCORPION EXO ST 1400 CARBON HELMET

Spyder Garage

If you have a passenger that likes to do the Hokey Hokey it will shut your cruise control off, for the life of me I could not figure out why my cruise would shut down rapidly and feel like I was jabbing the brake, it was my wife fidgeting around causing the BRP over reach police to slow the trike down... not fun at 80 MPH + also not fun in the twisties either.