Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How do you get GPS directions to come over RTL Speakers?

I installed a Zumo XT on my bike and followed all the input I could find on how and what to pair.
    I have my phone paired to the GPS and no issues.
    I have the GPS paired to a Bluetooth adapter in the glove box and I can play music that I downloaded onto the GPS, but I cannot get the GPS to play the turn by turn directions over the bikes speakers. If I am playing music the music comes over the speakers but when the GPS plays directions the only way I can hear it is thru the small speaker on the GPS. The same thing happens even when I am not playing music, the GPS directions only play thru the GPS speaker.

Dazed and confused and looking for some help not criticism.

Thanks
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try adjusting the volume when the GPS is giving directions. That’s how it work when using the phone as GPS.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Try adjusting the volume when the GPS is giving directions. That’s how it work when using the phone as GPS.
    Exactly! It can be a pain in the ass to catch it at just the right time, but it is nice to have 2 separate volumes.

Spyder Garage

I did that by going into the settings and made the GPS volume the priority and lowered the others but the GPS directions do not come out of the bike speakers, only the small speaker on the back of the GPS.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know for sure, but logically there's no good reason for the GPS to play turn instructions over the external speakers that I can see.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I don't know for sure, but logically there's no good reason for the GPS to play turn instructions over the external speakers that I can see.
    agree. i use googly maps on my iphone and mute the voice over, quick glances at the phone and i know the distance and direction.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Both visual and audio are what make using a GPS extremely helpful and to deny one or the other is asking to be distracted which can cause problems. Having to look away from the road, especially in traffic, can cause an accident. Seeing the map with highlighted route really helps understand the audio.

If you have it then use it the way it’s supposed to be used. I find the smartphone and the new dash are the easiest less complicated way.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I am looking for it to come across the bikes speakers for when I am wearing my half helmet, otherwise when I have my 3/4 or full face helmet on I use my Sena device.

Spyder Garage

You may want to read this thread that discusses what you are trying to accomplish.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...pyder-speakers
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic

Spyder Garage

This is my set up:
    Bluetooth gps to phone. Eliminate your separate bluetooth device.
    Bluetooth phone to Spyder.
    Now you can play music on your phone through the Spyder speakers or play music on your gps through the Spyder speakers via your phone. Using this method your gps directions will play through the Spyder speakers which you will be able to hear over your music.
    2021 RT Limited Asphalt Gray
    Halo Skid
    Driver's backrest
    2" riser w/ F3 standard handlebars
    F4 vented 25" windshield

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem - could get music to play through the adapter but not GPS turn instructions. Turns out the GPS instructions go over a different Bluetooth mode that my adapter didn't have. A new, different adapter ended up handling it. My Zumo 396 now shows paired in two different modes. Both needed to make it fully function. You might try re-pairing with your adapter to see if you can get both modes. (Shows both headset and music note icons next to the adapter in the Bluetooth setting page.)
    Last edited by pidjones; 12-26-2022 at 09:23 AM.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I didn't read through all of the posts. So, just a guess and shot in the dark, make sure that your audio option is set to the Spyder and not to the helmet. There is a speaker/helmet button on the bottom left instrument/media control section near the tank. Maybe for some reason the connection is being registered as it does with my Sena. You have an option to switch audio between the 2 outputs. If you have it set to helmet, it plays through your headset(or in this case, your GPS). If you have it set to the other speaker option, the audio is played through the Spyder's speakers.
    A quick way to determine this is to look at the dash. With the media system(radio) turned on, you should see an icon in the top right corner near the volume section that displays a helmet(external speaker) or the speaker audio symbol(Spyder's speakers). If it is the helmet, just press the button I mention in the 1st paragraph 1x and it will/should switch to the Spyder's speakers.

Good luck
    Last edited by JohnRuckus; 12-26-2022 at 09:29 AM. Reason: clarity
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

JohnRukus
    I did not realize that, I will check it tomorrow when I get home from work.

thanks

Spyder Garage

JohnRuckus

Well I tried what you said to do and still no GPS turn by turn directions over the bikes speakers.
    I did notice that on the GPS when paired to the Bluetooth device it shows connected and the music notes is what it appears to be connected to.

I think I need a new Bluetooth device, but do not know what I need to order.

Spyder Garage

pidjones,

Can you tell me what device you ordered to make it work? Mine is only showing the music notes so it is not showing the headset

thanks

Spyder Garage

It was this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I just plugged phone plug and micro USB into it, wrapped it in packing tape, and shoved it down into the pocket.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pidjones; 01-05-2023 at 06:11 AM.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    pidjones,

Can you tell me what device you ordered to make it work? Mine is only showing the music notes so it is not showing the headset

thanks
    Mac, I'm curious as to why you need a separate BT device?
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I installed a Zumo XT on my bike and followed all the input I could find on how and what to pair.
    I have the GPS paired to a Bluetooth adapter in the glove box and I can play music that I downloaded onto the GPS, but I cannot get the GPS to play the turn by turn directions over the bikes speakers. If I am playing music the music comes over the speakers but when the GPS plays directions the only way I can hear it is thru the small speaker on the GPS. The same thing happens even when I am not playing music, the GPS directions only play thru the GPS speaker.

Thanks
    Sounds strange. Your bluetooth setup seems to work, or you wouldn't get the music. I had a similar issue with my 660.
    Have you tried a soft restart of your GPS. I mean restart the software, not simply turning the power on and off.

If you wish to perform a soft reset on Garmin zūmo:

Press the power button for at least 8 seconds.
    Release the power button once the device turns off
    Press the power button again to restart the device.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I want to be able to hear the GPS when I have my half helmet on and when I am not wearing a helmet.

Spyder Garage

JohnRuckus

Well I tried what you said to do and still no GPS turn by turn directions over the bikes speakers.
    I did notice that on the GPS when paired to the Bluetooth device it shows connected and the music notes is what it appears to be connected to.

I think I need a new Bluetooth device, but do not know what I need to order.
    Campermac - I bought the BT device that LaMonster sells. It came with very clear directions and now I can play Sirius XM from my phone through the stereo speakers. The Zumo XT will mute the music and give spoken directions when appropriate. Don't ask me how it works, but it does.

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Did you try my setup?
    2021 RT Limited Asphalt Gray
    Halo Skid
    Driver's backrest
    2" riser w/ F3 standard handlebars
    F4 vented 25" windshield

Spyder Garage

stebrock,

I have not tried you set up yet, I have been out of town and no where near the bike. I did order the Bluetooth device from Lamonster, but I will try your set up first and if it works I will send the one back to Lamonster or just put it in my tool box.

Will let you know.

Spyder Garage

stebrock,

I have not tried you set up yet, I have been out of town and no where near the bike. I did order the Bluetooth device from Lamonster, but I will try your set up first and if it works I will send the one back to Lamonster or just put it in my tool box.

Will let you know.
    I have been watching this thread because I am trying to accomplish the same thing (hear gps instructions over the bike's speakers). I tried stebrock's set up and this does not work. I have A Tom Tom rider. I think I'll order the Lamonster blue tooth device if it works for campermac.
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeyes View Post
    I have been watching this thread because I am trying to accomplish the same thing (hear gps instructions over the bike's speakers). I tried stebrock's set up and this does not work. I have A Tom Tom rider. I think I'll order the Lamonster blue tooth device if it works for campermac.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ps0Wl-i_dM

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont.
    I am waiting on the item that I ordered from your website to show up this weekend then hopefully all my issues go away.