Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Finally have to replace a Vredestein rear tire.

After 36,000 miles it's time to replace the rear tire on my wife's 2021 RT
    https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...R6QT&tab=Sizes

I was running it at 20 psi. Looks like I need to drop it to 18 psi.
    It was on her 2018 F3L for around 5 to 6,000 miles when we traded it in on the 2021 StS RT. I had the dealer swap tires. She has just over 31,000 on the RT.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Outstanding! Thanks for the report and pics. Put one on my F3 last summer but had not seen any reports of longevity.
    Also have them on the front.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post

It was on her 2018 F3L for around 5 to 6,000 miles when we traded it in on the 2021 StS RT. I had the dealer swap tires. She has just over 31,000 on the RT.
    Thank you for this " longevity " report .... Back when I discovered this tire ( about 2+ years ago ), I was asked " how long will it last " ..... well I really liked this tire after reading about it's traction & comfort qualities, but had no idea about the mileage it might incur. I know " Teninospyder " has quite a few miles on His, but not as many as yours ( at least not yet ). Lately I see BajaRon has " endorsed " the Vredestein Brand, and I think that's great. He's over 2 years late on this - but better late than never ...... Merry Christmas ...... Mike ..... PS -I've always recommended 18 PSI, when using an Auto tire on the Rear of any Spyder .....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Outstanding! Thanks for the report and pics. Put one on my F3 last summer but had not seen any reports of longevity.
    Also have them on the front.
    We also have them on all 3 wheels. Outstanding performance in dry and wet roads. Add in the milage and these are far and above all the tires I have tried.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I am surprised that it wore so much more in the center. Especially at 20 psi. The mileage, though, is impressive!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I am surprised that it wore so much more in the center. Especially at 20 psi. The mileage, though, is impressive!
    .... The only thing I can think of " as to why " this occurred is, the Vredestein brand has a lower Maximum Load Rating compared to most Auto tires of the same size. This is one of the reasons the Vredstein's have such a good " Performance Rating " compared to other Auto tires...... So PSI's are very important when using them ...... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-20-2022 at 10:28 AM.

Spyder Garage

Its a hard rubber tire, yes it lasts but traction is abysmal. Was not impressed at all. About as bad as a Kumho.
    Sorry but these are not a great tire for a Spyder.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Its a hard rubber tire, yes it lasts but traction is abysmal. Was not impressed at all. About as bad as a Kumho.
    OK, That's your point of view, so what do YOU recommend?
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

" Traction is ABYSMAL ".......... .... with " Knizar " - it's your point of view and are certainly entitled to it..... however I dis-agree along with 99.99% of what other folks here have posted about them on this forum...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... I was running it at 20 psi. Looks like I need to drop it to 18 psi. ...
    Could the center-wear be due to ballooning? (Or is that just on the particular structure of those Chinese OEM tires?)
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Could the center-wear be due to ballooning? (Or is that just on the particular structure of those Chinese OEM tires?)
    As far as the Vredestein's are concerned, I posted info above. The sidewalls are what decides the amount of weight the tires will carry ..... The TREAD strength is what will determine if they balloon or not. .... The OEM's have Both a WEAK tread and weak sidewalls. This is not the case with Vredestein's. .... I believe His wear pattern is linked to the 20 PSI He was using..... Another factor is the normal amount of Wear caused by 36,000 mi. of use.... all this info is based on my tire knowledge..... Mike .... Pictures arn't reliable for accurate determinations of Tire Wear, measuring across the Tread is. .... however from the pic it appears that tire is worn down to the WEAR bars near the edges. I would have changed them about 5000 mi. ago, because in the wet they would not have provided good traction.
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-20-2022 at 01:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

See my posts #6 & #11 ..............Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    OK, That's your point of view, so what do YOU recommend?
    The Yokohama ADVAN has MUCH better traction both wet and dry. No, it will not last 30k miles. Averages about 18 to 20 but with far better traction than this tire or the OEM Kenda.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " Traction is ABYSMAL ".......... .... with " Knizar " - it's your point of view and are certainly entitled to it..... however I dis-agree along with 99.99% of what other folks here have posted about them on this forum...... Mike
    Abysmal is when you twist the throttle on a warm day and dry black top and the rear tire just spins with little forward thrust. This is what hard rubber station wagon tires do...but they do last longer even though they do not grip well.
    Not just an opinion. Back to back testing albeit on two different spyders. But the difference was not minor.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I'm on my second Vredestein, the first gave me just 11300 miles and was worn out in the center. Was run at 20 psi. Mounted another and running @ 16psi is showing even wear across the entire tread with 17,000 miles and counting and 5/32 of tread left.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The Yokohama ADVAN has MUCH better traction both wet and dry. No, it will not last 30k miles. Averages about 18 to 20 but with far better traction than this tire or the OEM Kenda.
    Which Advan version do you like?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Which Advan version do you like?
    ADVAN Fleeva V701. 205/55R15. Its a direct replacement for the S-Drive we ran for years before the ADVAN. Nearly identical tire.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Vredesteins are like Michelins Hard compound, superior mileage but the traction goes away after around 50% wear. Yokohama Advan are a killer tire. I have them on my SUV and the past 2 SUV's that I have had. As long as you maintain good tire pressure you will get above average wear but the traction is where they excell.

Just my opinion though.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

ADVAN Fleeva V701. 205/55R15. Its a direct replacement for the S-Drive we ran for years before the ADVAN. Nearly identical tire.
    Interesting as I ran the S-drive on my F3 and when I switched to the vredestein I found it to be very close in performance when I did tail of the dragon as well as The snake. I tend to push the spyder limits. The S-drive may be 1/10 better, but for most of my driving the Vredestein wins out

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Five years ago, I put a Yokahama S-Drive on the rear of my 2009 Spyder RS/GS. No issues or problems, and it did wear more evenly than the stock Kenda rear tire, but still wore much faster in the center (approx. 20 psi). and lasted somewhere between 11K-12K miles. Seemed to be a better tire than stock for sure, but I was disappointed that it only lasted about 2K miles more than the OEM rear. Have a Vredestein Quatrac 5 (actually all three) on this bike now and am comfortable with this decision. Rides better and handlles better, and living in Kansas, I would feel better prepared with the 3PMS-rated (3 Peak Mountain Snowflake Rated) Vredestein, especially when the pavement temp drops, or, running on wet pavement, than a warm weather "sports car" tire like the S-Drive or it's successors.

The Vredestein Quatrac 5 and the later Quatrac tires are very well siped to allow for great water removal for safer travel on wet pavement, and have a UTOG tread wear of "400", which is not exactly a hard rubber that goes 50K miles...with no traction, especially on cold or wet pavement.

Everything is a compromise. If I lived in a warm climate, a warm weather tire compound would probably offer the best traction, but living in the midwest, I ride with temperatures ranging for 25F to 100F, so an "all season" tire, especially one that is 3PMSF rated is probably one of MY best compromises.

Yes. I had the S-Drive in stretches of snow and slush, but momentum is your friend. Probably not the best choice for those conditions, especially with the overly agressive traction control of the origininal Spyders...As someone here once said, the traction control on the original Spyders was so intrusive that "they could get stuck on a dog turd on flat pavement". This is sad but so true.

Thanks
    Rod

Spyder Garage

The thing that surprised and amazed me in the OP's opening statement was: HOW THE HECK DID YOU PUT 36,000 MILES ON A 2 YEAR OLD SPYDER!?!!
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    The thing that surprised and amazed me in the OP's opening statement was: HOW THE HECK DID YOU PUT 36,000 MILES ON A 2 YEAR OLD SPYDER!?!!
    Climate, TN and AZ, actually only 31K on the 2021, with 5K on their previous spyder. I also wondered about that. Would be a milestone for me here in MN.
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

We picked her sea to sky up just after labor day in 2021. It was a dealer demo and had 3,600 miles on it. It currently has just under 36,000 miles on it. My 2020 RT purchased new in June of 2020 with 6 miles on it currently has just over 58,000 miles.
    We like to ride and living in Apache Junction, AZ from November to May, and Nashville, TN the rest of the year we have no down time.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Some folks actually buy them to ride.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Love to Ryde

...I might add some people really 'Love to Ryde'. I have enjoyed all my 'Ryde Times' on my Spyder. Getting older my saddle time has been somewhat difficult.

Still ryding for the 'wind therapy program'.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue