Spyder Garage

Default Do you need to remove the lid to replace top case strut? 2020 RTL

I ordered a new gas strut for my 2020 RTL. I took the backrest off but haven’t been able to find a video that explains how to get the old one out. Do you need to take the lid off?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-18-2022 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kingz View Post
    I ordered a new gas strut for my 2020 RTL. I took the backrest off but haven’t been able to find a video that explains how to get the old one out. Do you need to take the lid off?
    No need to remove lid. Remove passengers back rest, pop bottom strut off of ball pin, (using a pick or very small screwdriver), that allows the lid to raise up high enough to get bolt out of the top of the strut. "sorry no video" Bill
    Note: This is for the 2020RTL,
    I did Not remove the passengers seat to do this procedure . Only the back-rest.
    Last edited by Knizar; 12-18-2022 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added a foot note
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

I just had my dealer replace the top case and driver seat struts under warranty. I heard there was a bad batch of them installed on the 2020 RTL's.
    No top case rack either. When I made the appointment, they said it's because of the rack. No rack installed so it was covered. I did buy the extended warranty, so it was included.
    2020 Spyder RTL Chalk/Black
    2020 RTL , Chalk / Black

Spyder Garage
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Wrong Year, He has a 2020 model, Everything is different.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    Wrong Year, He has a 2020 model, Everything is different.
    Yes, that’s one of the major causes of confusion on the site, Rick. Posters not including the model and year of the Spyder which is having the problem, and responders not ensuring that their advice matches the OP’s model and year, if it is included. Very frustrating

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Just looked at mine.
    It is easy to replace. Take the two torque screws out of the back of the opened top case and pull the rear seat out then the rear back rest lifts off.
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yes, that’s one of the major causes of confusion on the site, Rick. Posters not including the model and year of the Spyder which is having the problem, and responders not ensuring that their advice matches the OP’s model and year, if it is included. Very frustrating

Pete
    we need a sub-forum for 2020 plus spYders RT-L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peter (Aawen) may have done his thing to expand the title a bit, but the OP clearly posted in his first sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingz View Post
    HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Peter (Aawen) may have done his thing to expand the title a bit, but the OP clearly posted in his first sentence.
    And I put '2020 RTL' in the title too

That said, it does seem that many readers do really only remember the very last sentence they just read; just like some car drivers can remember the color & make of the last car that passed them going the opposite way, but they simply don't see the well lit up & quite large oncoming Spyder that they just turned across in front of or pulled out into the way of!!

So some have situational blindness issues; others have specific detail &/or sentence retention/comprehension issues; some of us even have growing gaps of 'forgettory' holes blasted into our otherwise wonderful memories of a lifetime; but that's just the way it is - just like there's no denying that your year/model Spyder/Ryker info is a whole lot more visible and a lot easier for readers to see/remember while replying to questions if each member adds that info to their sig line as requested in the Sticky at the top of the Spyder General Discussion section & also linked below:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ssed-On-To-All

Just in this thread, you can clearly see how easy it is to find that year/model info for me, Steve, Pete, Skip, Rick, Mikey, DT5534, & Knizar - cos it's all there at the bottom of each post we ever make, nice & easy for all/any reader to see.... Yeah orright, Pete & Skip may've gone juuust a little overboard & listed everything they've ever done/added to their Spyders too but it's still pretty easy to see what year/model Spyder/Ryker they have!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    You have misread my post, Steve. I was not for one second claiming that Kingz did not put his model in the heading, just a generalisation that many people don’t, which creates misinformation, as does those who don’t verify that the info they are providing is for the relevant model user.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Yeah orright, Pete & Skip may've gone juuust a little overboard & listed everything they've ever done/added to their Spyders too but it's still pretty easy to see what year/model Spyder/Ryker they have!
    Mine is done for a reason though, Peter. I have limited my list to only include the mods which apply to big and tall riders, not everything I have ever done. I have had several tall/big riders contact me for further discussion on how those mods may affect them after seeing them on my signature. There is no way I would include any other incidental mods. I am happy to remove the list if you believe I have gone overboard, but it would be removing a resource that may be of value to those riders who don’t fit the stock rider size mould

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Mine is done for a reason though, Peter. I have limited my list to only include the mods which apply to big and tall riders, not everything I have ever done. I have had several tall/big riders contact me for further discussion on how those mods may affect them after seeing them on my signature. There is no way I would include any other incidental mods. I am happy to remove the list if you believe I have gone overboard, but it would be removing a resource that may be of value to those riders who don’t fit the stock rider size mould

Pete
    It's fine Pete

I just saw the end of a chain hanging there in both you'n Skip's sigs, & hadta give it a little bit of a yank to see what'd happen...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Wow. And I thought it was a simple question. Looks like I got one legit reply.

Spyder Garage

It was an easy question. Problem is that a lot of people on forums don't read the complete question or articles. I misread or didn't read a similar article on here about the same problem. The 2020 and later truck strut is different than the earlier models.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    No need to remove lid. Remove passengers back rest, pop bottom strut off of ball pin, (using a pick or very small screwdriver), that allows the lid to raise up high enough to get bolt out of the top of the strut. "sorry no video" Bill
    Note: This is for the 2020RTL,
    I did Not remove the passengers seat to do this procedure . Only the back-rest.
    Hey that was easy. Didn’t realize that thing at the bottom was a spring clip. Thanks.