Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Being in Manatee County, you probably worked the phosphate mines. I am retired from the phosphate mine in Hamilton County, originally Oxy Chem. I worked the machine shop for nearly two decades, and Mechanical Maintenance in the plants for some time too. A lot of the equipment was older and parts not readily available. Waiting backlog time on some Philadelphia Mixer parts was 3 to 5 years. Some pumps and blowers had similar parts backlog times. We saved every gear and shaft possible. The belt pulleys and chain drives were no problem. There was a third party supplier had all that, but the gears and internal parts were pulled. Even if they had a -.003 shrink fit, we froze it down, put a hydraulic puller on it, and put the heat to it with rose buds until it came off. Don't remember ever having one that did not come off. Some had to be tried several times before they came off, but they will come off, without damage to the shaft or gears. If the parts were not already damaged when the component was opened, we tried not to damage anything. If large gears or impellers were already damaged, they had to be repaired, and in some cases, calling in a machine shop that specialized in custom made gears to make a new one. The lag time on that could be 6 months or more.
    Thanks for this info .... It appears you are an EXPERT on this topic ...... Soooooooooooooooo what did you put on the parts when you re-mounted them ????? .... happy New Year ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks for this info .... It appears you are an EXPERT on this topic ...... Soooooooooooooooo what did you put on the parts when you re-mounted them ????? .... happy New Year ..... Mike
    If it came OEM with a shrink fit, it went back out of the shop with a shrink fit. We never assembled anything with any kind of Loctite. It would be useless in the environment that most mining equipment operated in. Used Loctite on some bolts, but not on the fitted components. There was a room full of manuals in the shop for most any equipment. If it called for a shrink fit, it was measured when it was inspected. If the fit was not in specs, the shaft was usually welded up and turned back to specs on a lathe. If it had a taper fit, it was reassembled with a taper fit. We worked with equipment that was moved around with overhead cranes or cherry pickers. You don't assemble that kind of equipment with glue.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Being in Manatee County, you probably worked the phosphate mines. I am retired from the phosphate mine in Hamilton County, originally Oxy Chem. I worked the machine shop for nearly two decades, and Mechanical Maintenance in the plants for some time too. A lot of the equipment was older and parts not readily available. Waiting backlog time on some Philadelphia Mixer parts was 3 to 5 years. Some pumps and blowers had similar parts backlog times. We saved every gear and shaft possible. The belt pulleys and chain drives were no problem. There was a third party supplier had all that, but the gears and internal parts were pulled. Even if they had a -.003 shrink fit, we froze it down, put a hydraulic puller on it, and put the heat to it with rose buds until it came off. Don't remember ever having one that did not come off. Some had to be tried several times before they came off, but they will come off, without damage to the shaft or gears. If the parts were not already damaged when the component was opened, we tried not to damage anything. If large gears or impellers were already damaged, they had to be repaired, and in some cases, calling in a machine shop that specialized in custom made gears to make a new one. The lag time on that could be 6 months or more.
    nope, i retired down here, grew up in boston and lived there until i got married and moved to boston's ''south shore''. retire in 09 and moved down here in 2015 as cost of living was STUPID, insurance on my Mustang wa 6k a year the Harley was $2500- , but i digress , i worked for the largest Manufacturer of razor blades in the world.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If it came OEM with a shrink fit, it went back out of the shop with a shrink fit. We never assembled anything with any kind of Loctite. It would be useless in the environment that most mining equipment operated in. Used Loctite on some bolts, but not on the fitted components. There was a room full of manuals in the shop for most any equipment. If it called for a shrink fit, it was measured when it was inspected. If the fit was not in specs, the shaft was usually welded up and turned back to specs on a lathe. If it had a taper fit, it was reassembled with a taper fit. We worked with equipment that was moved around with overhead cranes or cherry pickers. You don't assemble that kind of equipment with glue.
    OK - thanks .... so that fix isn't applicable to our problem Drive pulley ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    OK - thanks .... so that fix isn't applicable to our problem Drive pulley ..... Mike
    Not for assembly, but for removing the pulley without damaging it, the same methods should work.

They won't work for the pulleys designed for a Spyder, but the front pulleys on the Harley belt drives are taper fit and require no Loctite. Just warm them up and torque them.

It is in the design, and no way to get around doing what is recommended by Can Am.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This came up while searching for something else. FWIW

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20416122953...Bk9SR6D1gPuqYQ

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    This came up while searching for something else. FWIW

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20416122953...Bk9SR6D1gPuqYQ
    & this - https://youtu.be/RHgRoFcRJns

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got all those plus a couple more that I had to fabricate like the last one. The first puller he showed, was used incorrectly. You don't wear slippers out in the shop when disassembling difficult items. GMHO Good YouTube though. Thanks