Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Would you buy a Chinese motorycle?

China is America's primary adversary, and someday in the not too distant future might well be our enemy in an armed conflict. Every company operating within China is tied to the Chinese Communist Party, and therefore the Chinese government to a greater or lesser extent. I know that I cannot avoid buying products made in China unless I stop buying almost everything, but I certainly have choices when it comes to motorcycles and right now I cannot imagine buying a Chinese made motorcycle. In the past it was even an easier decision since what was coming out of China was pure ****. But this month's Rider magazine does a review of a few bikes made by CFMOTO, now with a U.S. headquarters in Minneapolis, a Chinese firm, and they give it a very positive review. This might just be the first of many Chinese companies vying for a share of the U.S. motorcycle market. It makes me think of my late uncle who fought in the Pacific in WWII, including the battle for Tarawa and for the remainder of his life would not buy any product made in Japan. But that war was over, and Japan was no longer an enemy of America the way China is today. Would you buy a new Spyder if BRP was bought by the Chinese and the bikes were made in China?
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I haven't really looked at the Chinese offerings and probably wouldn't buy a Chinese bike per say, but ANY motorcycle you buy these days will have a healthy dose of Chinse sourced parts on it even Harley Davidson. A quick Google search of any brand and where it is manufactured is an eye opener.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Almost everything to do with transportation has some component manufactured from China in it. I am 70+ and have bought my last motorcycle being the present 2020RTL. It also may have some China parts, but its what I have and am not going to get worked up about it. Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Yes. I would. I buy what I like if I can afford it.
    Your view is an interesting 1 and I'm sure there are plenty who have the same sentiments.
    I'm curious though. What makes China an adversary in your opinion?
    Capitalistic nations outsource many industries to other countries for the sake of cheap labor and profit.
    Western countries have promoted citizens to kind of look down on manual labor, manufacturing, and skilled trade related industries/jobs.
    So, if you're not a high earning corporate person, entertainer of some sort, or some other white collar employee, you're kind of looked at as mediocre or worse.
    China as a nation becoming better at manufacturing and increasing overall market share across industries was pretty much inevitable once countries decided to "exploit" a situation.
    As such, even some of the Made In_____ is only partially made in _____ because parts or sourced from all over. While you may not buy a Chinese motorcycle, it's becoming much harder to escape purchasing anything that doesn't have Chinese influence. Just my 2 cents.

I looked at some of the motorcycles from the company you mentioned and they look nice, but they're not Spyders So, I won't be getting one. I did see some cheap knock-offs though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFF9OPSO5a8
    I won't be getting one of these either
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very good question. A year ago I would have said yes to buying Chinese. Now, for the reasons you mentioned, the answer is no to any major appliance, auto or electronics made in China. I don't care about minor, low-tech items like clothing and toys.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

For me personally, I would not buy any big ticket items knowingly. We are all stuck with the "contains Chinese parts" etc. in most everything these days. Ask me in another year...maybe things will change.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How convenient my Spyder dealer https://www.funbike.com/ also carries CFMOTO https://www.funbike.com/default.asp?...ry&make=cfmoto No motorcycles yet but at those prices they'll be in stock when available.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I would for sure. The Chinese are the best manufacturers in the world now. Most of my career was manufacturing engineering so I know a little about it. I don't care about the politics or military threats. The Chinese aren't stupid. There will never be an all out war between our countries.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

a friend of mine bought a CFMOTO atv for his son, this kid beats the living snot out of it and it just keeps on running.
    it's in the florida swamps/ sand/ mud open fields and it just keeps running.
    i'd buy one if i was in the market for one and save myself a few thousand

Spyder Garage

The world is one big holding company run as a people farm. It's China's turn, their luck, by 2030 we're all supposed to ''own nothing and be happy'' (do a search) so short lived for them. With those facts in mind, who gives a rats ass where anything comes from, be happy it's still available.
    Last edited by Cobwebs; 12-16-2022 at 06:45 AM. Reason: ...farmIt's.... - ...farm. It's... ;-)
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Times do change. When I was young, shortly after WW-2, the term 'Made in Japan' meant the item was considered sub-standard. Much like many Chinese products today. The future will bring.....?????
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-16-2022 at 01:07 AM. Reason: met - meant ;-)
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Would you buy a new Spyder if BRP was bought by the Chinese and the bikes were made in China?
    Have you not looked closely at BRP parts? Just about every part of everything is made in China these days. I guess you haven't broken anything lately or been to Ace Hardware, Lowe's, or Napa Auto Parts.

Spyder Garage

no
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Getting parts for a Spyder/Ryker sometimes takes long enough. Getting parts for a Chinese motorcycle would add a whole new meaning to the expression “Taking a slow boat from China”.

Plus I can’t believe there would be that many dealerships in a position to service Chinese motorcycles. So no, personally I would never consider purchasing a Chinese motorcycle.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

If there were a ton of dealers supporting them with service and parts, maybe but until then, no.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

No I would not buy a Chinese-manufactured motorcycle. I have a feeling parts availability and finding authorized service would be a problem.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its not on my to-do list. Don't have much faith in anything they make
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I would not I fuel the beast enough !

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slhanks004 View Post
    No I would not buy a Chinese-manufactured motorcycle. I have a feeling parts availability and finding authorized service would be a problem.
    Ding Ding Ding .. This answer right here. My son against my advice when he was a teenager went online and bought one of these. Main drive shaft was bent within the first month from his weight.

And of course the places stated by the manufacturer to get warranty work were no longer taking any warranty work because of 1) They were overwhelmed from the amount coming in for repair 2) The manufacturer stopped paying for the warranty repairs.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No. No.

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for an interesting discussion. At the moment...no problems or issues with the mod staff.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

There are more CFMOTO dealers close to me than Can-Am dealers. The few folks that I have talked with that have their 4 wheelers seem OK with them. Not saying I would buy one, but I bet getting warranty work out of them would not be as hard as getting it out on my local stealer.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Nope, and not even a free one.
    Tons of experience in my previous life with Chinese built appliances like LG (lucky goldstar), Samsung (mfg. in china) and GE. GE appliances belong to Haier now which is China not German.
    That said safety is not a concern in China, minimal construction to get it out the door. They just stamp bogus certifications on stuff and let it go. Stuff is built to make it out of initial warranty and then its disposable.
    You don't see any Chinese built Buicks tooling around the US, they will not meet our safety standards.
    If something fails at 75 MPH who is gonna be responsible? A shadow importer?
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cravenfun View Post
    Tons of experience in my previous life with Chinese built appliances like LG (lucky goldstar), Samsung (mfg. in china) and GE. GE appliances belong to Haier now which is China not German.
    That said safety is not a concern in China, minimal construction to get it out the door. They just stamp bogus certifications on stuff and let it go. Stuff is built to make it out of initial warranty and then its disposable.
    You don't see any Chinese built Buicks tooling around the US, they will not meet our safety standards.
    If something fails at 75 MPH who is gonna be responsible? A shadow importer?
    Buicks? I don't see any Buicks except on TV LOL
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cravenfun View Post
    Tons of experience in my previous life with Chinese built appliances like ...Samsung (mfg. in china)...
    Samsung is built in South Korea.
    2021 Honda HRV
    2245 Constitution class starship (refitted 2270-2271) (for sale)
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT (gone)
    2019 Honda CR-V (gone)
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited (gone)
    2014 Kawasaki Nomad (gone)