Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How reliable are spyders?

My wife and I have ridden Gold Wings for over 20 years. I got older and didn't feel safe on two wheels, so we bought a trike. I stayed with the Wing because I was familiar with the Maintenace procedures. Since then we have sold everything and moved to Southern Arizona. We bought a UTV to ride in the desert, we both miss riding the trike and we are considering trading it in on a Spyder.

Two of the places where we would ride require riding on gravel roads for about two miles. I have read that Spyders shouldn't be rode on gravel because of the belt. Does anyone ride on gravel? We have plenty of roads here in Arizona to ride on. We have family in Colorado that live on gravel roads and we take a trip to Nebraska once a year that requires some gravel roads.
    How likely is it that you may get a computer code and go into limp mode on a long trip? I plan on going to the dealer in Tucson soon and see what they have. I think we would be interested in the touring model. Thanks for any input.

Willie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Willie View Post
    My wife and I have ridden Gold Wings for over 20 years. I got older and didn't feel safe on two wheels, so we bought a trike. I stayed with the Wing because I was familiar with the Maintenace procedures. Since then we have sold everything and moved to Southern Arizona. We bought a UTV to ride in the desert, we both miss riding the trike and we are considering trading it in on a Spyder.

Two of the places where we would ride require riding on gravel roads for about two miles. I have read that Spyders shouldn't be rode on gravel because of the belt. Does anyone ride on gravel? We have plenty of roads here in Arizona to ride on. We have family in Colorado that live on gravel roads and we take a trip to Nebraska once a year that requires some gravel roads.
    How likely is it that you may get a computer code and go into limp mode on a long trip? I plan on going to the dealer in Tucson soon and see what they have. I think we would be interested in the touring model. Thanks for any input.

Willie
    Define Reliable. I think in a forum format you get a great deal of people who voice frustrations and complaints on their machines. It's really subjective. A lot of folks love the older gen engines. A lot prefer the newer 1330 engines. I've seen a few posts with folks closing in on 100K miles. As with anything man made, there is a chance for part failures and dissatisfaction to some degree.
    I've had my RT for 2 years. No major issues. A few things that were bothersome. Fit and finish, my passenger heated seat, but that's pretty much it. Some folks have experienced sprocket failures on the F3s, but there is a recall for that.
    I've ridden on gravel, but not at posted speeds. I take it slow and easy(about 1/2 mile). There are belt guards that you can buy to help protect the belt(I don't have 1).
    Limp mode is more of a safety thing. I don't recall seeing any posts of it just happening randomly due to a long ride.
    If you're looking for 2up touring the RT+ trim is probably what you're interesting in. I have a '20.
    Lastly based on the resell value of these things, I'd say they're either fairly reliable or just high demand.
    I have no plans of getting rid of mine unless circumstances require it. So far over the last 2 yrs, I've enjoyed having Gwen 98% of the time
    Others with more experience will surely chime in with more and better details though.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gravel Roads, are not the worse thing, I've traveled many a mile with "No Problems". Dust factor when roads are dry is the reason I avoid them. Do not drive through standing water and avoid sloppy conditions if possible. Mainly for best results is to "Slow Down". Some city slickers have never been on gravel! Different areas have different qualities; hard pack, loose, wet, dry, sandy, sloppy, rocky, etc. "Drive Accordingly"
    I believe you would be very happy with a 2020+ RTL, more seating room, plenty of storage, full length floorboards, power steering, air rear suspension, perfect for TWO-UP touring. I have almost 20K miles in 30 months with only (1) minor trip to the dealer. Good Luck and Miles of Smiles. Bill "My 2020RTL is a KEEPER"
    Last edited by Knizar; 12-15-2022 at 03:32 PM. Reason: my poor spelling, sorry
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you know most of your riding will be off-pavement, I don't think the Spyder is the best choice. But, you have an ATV for off-road, right?

The Spyder is a touring machine and does great for long distances on pavement.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Willie, there are several riders who have posted that they have gravel driveways that are a mile long, and have not had any issues in years of riding. You have to be unlucky. Chip seal surfaces on sealed roads are more likely to cause issues as the rocks are sticky.
    Another factor in the “gravel” debate, is that the BRP promo video for the ‘20+ RT models shows them riding on sand and gravel.

Regarding “limp mode”, can you guarantee that any vehicle won’t develop an issue at any stage? Unfortunately, it is always possible. The Spyder is not really any more prone than anything else, especially the ‘20+ models. Don’t forget that those who have experienced zero issues in many years (like me, and the vast majority of riders), do not post that on the site.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I've got a 900 foot gravel driveway. I've never had a problem. But the potential is always there. I do 2 things. I keep the speed reasonable. And I keep the rear wheel out of deep or piled gravel areas, as much as I can. There are belt guards available. I am not sure how effective they are. My feeling is that gravel thrown forward by the rear wheel is the culprit, in most cases. As far as reliability. It's not possible to give guarantees and I know that's not what you are asking. I've been to California and back twice. Canada twice. Orlando, I'm not sure how many times. And other long trips. I've never had a problem with the 2 Spyders and 1 Ryker we own.

Some of those trips were with a number of other Spyder riders who also had zero issues. Unless you count the time when the lock mechanism fell off inside of a Bushtec trailer and we spent all night beating it up with a hammer to get the lid open.

This is not to say that others have had problems. And Can-Am does not have the service network that Honda or Harley have. But if you can do your own maintenance. That goes a long way towards increased reliability.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Willie View Post

Willie
    Hi Willie, if you want to know what's already been posted on the Forum about this (& there's lots! ) just type the word 'reliable' into the Search field (up towards the top right of the page); click on the 'Search Titles Only' box in the drop down list that'll come up below it; click on the Magnifying Glass to submit the search; then pick & choose whatever threads look like they might be worth reading from the from 4 or more pages of threads that'll show as the results!

As for the gravel roads thing, Spyder's aren't the only machines on the roads & gravel & tracks that run belt drives, and just like any/every other machine that runs them, just be a little sensible about how you ride on the looser, less than ideal surfaces you meet along the way to wherever you're going and you shouldn't have too much in the way of problems - and as you should be able to see from the content of the numerous threads in the results of that search above & the replies you've got in this new thread on the same subject, it's not really gravel roads you need to worry about, as it appears that most belt damage occurs on sealed roads, especially those sealed with new chip seal! AFAI Can See, & many agree, they are BY FAR more of a risk to your belt than anything else!

But as you should also be able to see from those search results & the posts above - overall, as a bike type, Spyders & their belts aren't really any more unreliable than anything else, but there are a fair percentage of dealers who aren't that great & they/BRP sometimes aren't all that easy to deal with in order to get stuff sorted in a timely manner, and here on this Forum we get to see/hear about a lot of that; while those of us who've simply got on with ryding the hundreds of thousands of miles on these fantastically enjoyable machines with little if any issues have & continue to do tend not to post about doing that quite so much!

Ps: My 2013 RT & I have done many thousands of miles on gravel roads & a heap on surfaces even worse besides, with nary an issue re the belt - and I don't have any 'added on' belt guards nor do I ryde particularly slowly on the better gravel/dirt roads, I just ryde to the conditions on whatever surface I encounter!

So, I've said it before & I bet I'll say it again.....

Don't sweat the small stuff, just get out there and....

Ride More, Worry Less!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-15-2022 at 09:59 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Hi old Willie, I have a 2017 RTL that I bought used with 5300 in 2020. I now have over 27000 miles on the Spyder with not 1 problem with it. I do have the belt guard on mine and have not had any problems ryding slow on gravel roads.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

have a 2015 RTL, bought used in Mar 2017. has been very reliable, not thrown a code. has been on a 7,200 mile and a shorter 2,300 trip, no problems. put on 40,000 miles so far

across the BRP platform of Spyders, over all they are NOT as reliable as some brands. they are NOT in top 10 of reliability.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Here's another two cents Old Wilie. My wife and I are in our seventies and a few years ago exchanged our two-wheel conveyances for a pair of Spyders and haven't looked back. Mine is a 2015 RT-S. Originally my wife rode a 2012 RT-S until we exchanged it for a 2021 Sea to Sky. All three have been, for us, as reliable as a wood stove. We enjoyed a 3600-mile trip several springs ago (pre-pandemic) from San Antonio to Tucson, Tombstone and Bisbee over a two-week period and didn't have a single issue (except that the 2012 twin sucked up more fuel than the 2015 1330 engine. We rode interstate, back roads, unpaved roads and didn't suffer a single problem. The following spring, we spent 10 days in ther Texas Big Country with similar roads and, again, we didn't have a single problem.

Having said this, there is no guarantee a Spyder will be problem-free. But then again, that cannot be said of very many things on this earth. In all fairness we did have one "limp home" issue with the 2012 twin. It concerned an old battery and a new one solved the problem. Our bottom line is we are very pleased and would buy another. In fact, my 2015 will likely be replaced with a new RTS soon - more leg room and I like the new top trunk and full color instrument cluster.
    Last edited by Arion; 12-15-2022 at 06:32 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for your responses! they are appreciated.

Willie

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I drive gravel / dirt roads a lot..... 14 RT w/ a homemade gravel guard, has it ever prevented an issue -, and I'll never know .... Reliability ???? .... I have over 100,000mi. on three different Spyders, I have NEVER been stranded. ... I lived through the DESS issue, got a defective one re-placed under warranty..... some haven't been so lucky ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Spend some time here and you will never buy a Spyder. My wife has a Honda Pilot, spend an hour on that forum and you will never buy a Pilot. Folks with issues come here to get help and that's a good thing, but you will see a lot of folks with issues and very few posts about trouble free bikes. I have a 2015 base model RT that has been a great bike for a bit over 50K miles. So good in fact that I refuse to part with it just to have the latest and greatest paint or LED light bulb. Just like your Goldwing, got a good one? Why part with it? Lots of folks in the Spyder world have good ones. I have put a lot of packed dirt and gravel road miles on my RT with no issues. I'm not saying that one errant stone won't cause a problem, but odds are you'll be fine. Like most new vehicles the Spyder relies heavily on electronics to keep things operating smoothly. Electronics like a smooth uninterrupted source of power to work properly so a good battery is a must. Do those people that lay awake worrying about Spyder issues also lay awake and worry about issues with whatever car or truck they drive? If not, why not? They are more complicated than your Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-16-2022 at 05:45 AM. Reason: In - If ;-)
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Reliability and quality ain't Spyder's strongest suits. It meets a niche market - folks like you and me. Many folks haven't got what they paid for, many have. Do more research.
    Last edited by Freddy; 12-16-2022 at 12:39 AM.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

All good advice above. Lot's of experience with Spyders here. Bought the first one sold to a customer in Alaska. Have had a total of seven Spyders since then (2008). Almost 200,000 assorted miles. NEVER had a major breakdown or owned a lemon. Have broken two drive belts on gravel. One my fault. I tend to shy away from gravel roads. Others, they get away with it. Jury is out.

They are a niche market item. They cost a lot to maintain if you do not do the work yourself. I would do mine all over again if I needed to. Not unhappy that I have owned them.

Currently I have two F3L's for sale. I have aged out due to health reasons.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ale+ARtraveler
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-15-2022 at 07:59 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default As Good as it Gets

...I have enjoyed ryding my Spyder RTL for over 6 years. I was tired of having to hold up a large 2 wheels. Saw the Spyder in 2013 and did my homework for a few years. Finally purchased my 2016 RTL.

Love the 'wind therapy' while ryding my Spyder. The wife has her endorsement.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Spend some time here and you will never buy a Spyder. My wife has a Honda Pilot, spend an hour on that forum and you will never buy a Pilot. Folks with issues come here to get help and that's a good thing, but you will see a lot of folks with issues and very few posts about trouble free bikes. I have a 2015 base model RT that has been a great bike for a bit over 50K miles. So good in fact that I refuse to part with it just to have the latest and greatest paint or LED light bulb. Just like your Goldwing, got a good one? Why part with it? Lots of folks in the Spyder world have good ones. I have put a lot of packed dirt and gravel road miles on my RT with no issues. I'm not saying that one errant stone won't cause a problem, but odds are you'll be fine. Like most new vehicles the Spyder relies heavily on electronics to keep things operating smoothly. Electronics like a smooth uninterrupted source of power to work properly so a good battery is a must. Do those people that lay awake worrying about Spyder issues also lay awake and worry about issues with whatever car or truck they drive? If not, why not? They are more complicated than your Spyder.
    All very true. People don't come to any forum to say they don't have any problems. Those people are out riding! But as soon as something goes 'BOINK', they are here in a hurry. And that is a good thing. I'd like to think, (and I know it is true). That while we may not be able to help each and every one. The large majority are greatly assisted in finding solutions here.

Some issues are self inflicted. Others are not. But one thing is for sure. If we can help you. We will. And why is that? Well, for me. I know how great a ride the Spyder can be. If I can help you enjoy your Spyder/Ryker more. I'm all there. This is true of everyone else on this forum. It's a family. And we have done a good job of sticking together.

Spyder Garage

My wife bought her first Spyder in 2010, an RT after having both of her hips replaced. After two knee replacements and a pacemaker put in, I sold my two wheel touring rig and got a 2016 F3T. Wife rode my F3 and in 2017 she went to a 2017 F3L. Two years ago, we had some friends ask to ride them as they both were looking to get off of their two wheels. The day after they rode ours, they went out and bought a 2021 F3L and a 2021 F3S. The four of us have ridden the big heavy touring bikes and are totally happy with our Spyders. No problems other than having to stop for gas and potty breaks.

All four of us love them and are definitely glad we make the switch.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

I find that the reliability factor is greatly in line with the maintenance being done on the item!! That go's for just about everything in the world, you get, what you put into it!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MNBK View Post
    My wife bought her first Spyder in 2010, an RT after having both of her hips replaced. After two knee replacements and a pacemaker put in, I sold my two wheel touring rig and got a 2016 F3T. Wife rode my F3 and in 2017 she went to a 2017 F3L. Two years ago, we had some friends ask to ride them as they both were looking to get off of their two wheels. The day after they rode ours, they went out and bought a 2021 F3L and a 2021 F3S. The four of us have ridden the big heavy touring bikes and are totally happy with our Spyders. No problems other than having to stop for gas and potty breaks.

All four of us love them and are definitely glad we make the switch.
    Wow! That is a GREAT Story!

Spyder Garage

I really appreciate all the replies. We have a 2022 Yamaha Wolverine, and we will either sell or trade it in, if we decide to get a Spyder. My concerns were based on what I had read online, and we all know what that is worth. As for riding on gravel, that would only be two times a year. We bought our UTV from a dealer in Tucson and they are also a Spyder dealer. I'll let you folks know what we decide.
    Thanks,
    Willie

I received a private message; Seems I don't have permission to send private messages yet.

Spyder Garage

Willie, That was me who sent a private message. You answered my question.
    Thanks, Bob
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

My Spyder has 82K+ miles on it, had the parking brake motor replaced under factory warranty on it at 9,350 and 7 1/2 months use, and never so much as a hiccup since. My goal is 150K and if it makes it that far at my current mileage rate I'll be 89. May have to plan on a new one then because I'm shooting for 95.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 Chalk White RTL and have ridden it for a little over 12,000 miles and seven states. I have had no problems and I try to stay up to date on taking care of the machine.

Spyder Garage

Willie, you looking for new or used? Do you plan on taking longer trips?
    Bob
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6