Spyder Garage

Default 20+ RT OEM Floorboard Lights or TricLED's version - which do you like?

I'm really starting to like the idea of adding the floorboard lights to my '20 RT.
    TricLED's version with the matching amber turn signal indicator make the most of the lights to me.
    The fit of the OEM version just seems "cleaner" to me though.
    Has anyone swapped from one to the other? If, so which do you prefer and why?
    If you're considering either set, which re you leaning towards?
    I was thinking that maybe now getting the TricLED version plus the OEM lighted passenger foot peg would be a nice compromise/
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the TricLED version. Personally I think the BRP version is better installation wise. The TricLED version is held in place with 2-sided tape which is prone to failure. The BRP version is attached securely and the wiring is better. The only thing better about the TricLED version is the integrated turn signals. If mine ever go bad, I will be switching to the BRP version.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP Version. I'm not crazy about of stick on lighting which over time falls off or comes loose. OEM!

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

I have tric led been on bike for 2 years they are still sticking, I have those and a arm lights Would I purchase again probably not the wiring is terrible, very cheap

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP version and would say it looks to be a pretty robust product. The LED strip is actually on a frame that molds to and attaches under the existing floorboard. Hope this is OK but here is a link to Martin's installation video and you can see the BRP option looks to be a good product. Have to admit though I like the TricLED turn signal indication (where it flashes amber) but I don't think you will regret purchasing the BRP product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ODVd-NaWg
    2020 RT Limited - Chalk Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Thanks all!
    I wish the OEM had the turn signal built in. I haven't seen any of them live, but that pic of yours looks great, taxmyzer. Thanks for the install video Kroache!
    Joel, Cihere, I think you may have made the scale tip towards. I should have posted this prior to the Black Friday sale OEM
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'm not commenting on either or any particular light kit. But if done properly, the stick on light kits will stay put. The surface must be properly cleaned, good 3M adhesion products must be used. And use of the correct accelerator is imperative. We fixed a number of lights for customers that were coming unstuck. We have no way of knowing how they were attached originally. Sometimes customer DIY was the issue. But after doing it correctly, the problem was solved!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-16-2022 at 01:03 AM. Reason: .-, ;-)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I'm not commenting on either or any particular light kit. But if done properly, the stick on light kits will stay put. The surface must be properly cleaned, good 3M adhesion products must be used. And use of the correct accelerator is imperative. We fixed a number of lights for customers that were coming unstuck. We have no way of knowing how they were attached originally. Sometimes customer DIY was the issue. But after doing it correctly, the problem was solved!
    Dang it BajaRon, The plot thickens!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-16-2022 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    Dang it BajaRon, The plot thickens!
    No plot. Just saying that if you want a particular lighting array, and you are willing to be meticulous with the install, it can be reliable as far as staying put. We have seen some real nightmares at the shop. Wiring just wrapped around a battery terminal. Wires laying on hot engine parts. Balls of extra wire just stuffed into a crevice, etc. If it's going to be done that way, even quality parts are not necessarily going to hold up well.

I would be more concerned with quality of lights and circuitry. This is an area where even a perfect install will not make much difference in longevity. Lights may look awesome when you pull out of the garage the 1st time. But it's what they look like a year later that makes all the difference. With Good parts and proper installation they will look just as good a year later as they did the first day.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-16-2022 at 01:05 AM. Reason: ,-. ;-)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have the factory version. It is a quality piece of kit for sure and they are bright as hell. The lights reflect off the front fenders and are very noticeable at night. I don't have the blinkers but I think it would be a huge annoyance having the lights blink just out of vision. I have read where guys regret getting the blinkers for the front fenders as they blink in their face and is a huge distraction. Just another point to ponder.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I have the factory version. It is a quality piece of kit for sure and they are bright as hell. The lights reflect off the front fenders and are very noticeable at night. I don't have the blinkers but I think it would be a huge annoyance having the lights blink just out of vision. I have read where guys regret getting the blinkers for the front fenders as they blink in their face and is a huge distraction. Just another point to ponder.
    I have the lights that blink on the front fenders and can honestly say that I don't even notice them.

I will say that I have done very little night driving and none in complete darkness so that might be where the concern comes in?
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have the fender turn signals installed. They don't bother me. I think I want the floorboard lights for extra visibility and b/c they add a bit of complimentary sleek style. I like dusk and night time riding. So, adding that extra bit of profile lighting to catch someone's eye is my goal.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Hello All, I have the TricLED installed and haven't had any issues with them coming lose. I like how the OEM kit mounts but much prefer the turn signal indication. 3M tape works very well if you clean, clean and clean. The TricLED kit came with a Bonding Agent pad too.

Cheers!
    2020 Spyder RTL Chalk/Black
    2020 RTL , Chalk / Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have installed many of these never have i removed all those panels

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    i have installed many of these never have i removed all those panels
    Who are you responding to, fatboy? I only ask as I didn’t see any reference to removing panels

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Who are you responding to, fatboy? I only ask as I didn’t see any reference to removing panels

Pete
    Hey Peteoz,
    I'm guessing it is in reference to the video from Martin the Vlogger that was posted #5.

BTW, I decided to go with the OEM version. I had them installed today since I was already at the shop having some work done. They look great and they are much brighter than I expected. I do wish they had the turn indicator, but I am satisfied with the purchase. Thanks all for sharing your POVs.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

This post is for anyone who is looking for the new passenger floorboard lights #219401153.
    BRP has them in stock and are shipping them to personal orders first before dealers get their stock.
    I just picked mine up yesterday from the dealer and they told me that my order and another persons orders were the only ones that came in and that their stock order was still pending.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Good to know. They are still showing as 'notify me when available' on the website. I have not been notified nor has my dealer contacted me that mine are in. It won't be long now. Thanks for the heads up Mac.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    This post is for anyone who is looking for the new passenger floorboard lights #219401153.
    BRP has them in stock and are shipping them to personal orders first before dealers get their stock.
    I just picked mine up yesterday from the dealer and they told me that my order and another persons orders were the only ones that came in and that their stock order was still pending.
    Very interesting. I asked the dealer about them when I had the other set installed. What's the price for them?
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Never mind I was finally able to get the item and price to display. $200
    https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...re-lights.html
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

I called my dealer this morning and they had received one set of the passenger floorboard led's just before Christmas. They wanted one hour labor to install them on my bike. Since my garage is about 20 degrees now (for the first time in 20 years) I decided to pay them for the install. They are being installed next Tuesday for $300 plus tax. I'm a happy camper!

Spyder Garage

They are being installed next Tuesday for $300 plus tax. I'm a happy camper!
    That isn't too bad. If the part really is $200, that's only $100 for the labor.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

That isn't too bad. If the part really is $200, that's only $100 for the labor.
    Yes, their shop labor rate is $100 per hour and the lights are $200.

Spyder Garage

I'm really starting to like the idea of adding the floorboard lights to my '20 RT. /
    Here you go John https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...49#post1657249

Spyder Garage

That looks nice. So, bright!
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic