Spyder Garage

Default Is the F3 rear shock different to the RT's?

I've been looking to replace my RT that I gave to my son and didn't realize how much I would miss it. Found a 2018 F3 that looks interesting. Passenger backrest and arm rests. I've never driven an F3, but I hear a lot of people complaining about bottoming out when 2 up and having to change out the rear shock. Is the shock different on the F3 than on the RT? I ride 1 up 90% of the time, but when I ride with my wife, I don't want to have to worry about bottoming out.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-13-2022 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

I am fairly certain that without upgrading the rear suspension that the F-3 will not handle an additional person well.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Can't say about 2 up, but I weigh around 200 pounds, and sometimes have 30 or 40 pounds strapped on the Pax seat. Hit some bad dips and a few unexpected speed bumps. Never had the shocks bottom out yet. Mine is 2019 - F3-S - Special Series, with the OEM rear shock still on it. It might be best to upgrade if you ride 2 up very much, but I have had no problems with my weight and some cargo weight tied on the seat.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Bottoming out is why they sell a 2-up shock for a base F3.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Which model F3 are you looking at, Baron? The Touring models have the 2 up shock, but the base and S models do not, as they are effectively set up for single riders. Regardless, it all depends on the individual. I had to upgrade my rear ‘16 F3-L shock. With me, at 300lbs, and my wife on board, it couldn’t cope.
    Just for info, there is an extra inch of travel on the RT (6”) over the F3 (both the Touring and S series are around 5”)

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 12-14-2022 at 03:03 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Baron, not sure about the 18 model but I have a '16 F3T. Mine does not have the self inflating bladder (or whatever its called) but one that you have to inflate yourself to whatever lb works for you. I do not have any air in mine and the rear is very soft which makes for a very comfortable ride, one up at 170lb. I had a '14 RT at one time but like the lower stance, method of adjusting the floorboards to suit, etc, much better. Give it a try.....you might find you don't need an upgraded shock. If so, then you can.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)