Spyder Garage

Default 2022 RT making odd noise while stopping - any ideas to help explain to Service tech?

I have a 2022 RT that I've been loving. I'm approaching the 3,000 mile first service and recently noticed an odd noise. I have no intention of trying to fix this (it's still under warranty and I'll be taking it in right after the first of the year for service) but I want to make sure I explain it using the right terminology.

The other day I got stuck in stop-and-go traffic. I noticed as I was approaching the truck in front of me, I'd hear a faint humming/squealing--I thought it was the brakes of that truck and didn't think anything else about it. However, that truck turned off the road and I could still hear the small humming sound just before stopping. This time I thought it was the radio of someone around me--so I turned off my radio to see if I could pin-point the noise. That's when I realized the little humming was coming from my Spyder and I thought maybe it was my brakes. So I did a little test and left a bigger spot in front of me so I could coast to a stop instead of braking--same noise without me pressing the brakes.

My thinking now is that however the drive disengages when the Spyder comes to a stop might be making the sound. Problem is, I have no idea how that works--I know a little bit about how the automatic transmission in a car disengages when the car comes to a stop, but no idea how it works on a Spyder and what parts are involved in that process. My optimistic hope is something might be a little loose and just needs to be tightened.

If anyone has thoughts on how to explain this--I'd appreciate the help. If what I'm describing doesn't make any sense, please ask me follow-up questions so I can hopefully clarify for those of you who understand these machines. I want to be as clear as possible when I talk to the dealer--I'd rather be the person that says "it sounds like xyz might be happening" and not the person that starts making gargled humming noises when they ask me what the noise I'm hearing sounds like.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-12-2022 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    '22 Spyder RT in Hyper Silver
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

I guess if nothing else you can hope that when you get to the shop it is still doing it's little thing and you can take the tech out for ride and make it happen!! This is one of those things when I take it to the doctor's it will usually stop just before I get there. Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

AzBronco, Does it make this sound when sitting and idling in (N) ? or when the bike is rolling ? On a warm day in stop & go traffic, the radiator cooling fans tend to kick in & out!
    Last edited by Knizar; 12-12-2022 at 03:51 PM.
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear them tell you that it is normal drivetrain gear whine noise that you are hearing and not to worry about it. There would be no fix for something like that as it’s inherent to the design.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This answer is an outside shot because you have a newish Spyder .... get you front tires off the ground and rotate the wheels by hand. .... if you hear a noise I suspect Brake Pad DRAG. .... if the pins are rusty ( not likely ) or there's a crud build-up. ... the pads might not slide they way they are supposed to ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

With a new motorcycle comes new metallic brake pads that are as thick as possible on day one for added life. Once the brake is released the brake caliper piston’s square cut seal relaxes and withdraws the pad from the face of the rotor. Once the motorcycle gets more miles on the brake pads that creates wear, the clearance is increased and the noise often subsides. All noise generated is from vibration and that pad being so thick is vibrating loosely on the rotor and against the caliper. Sometimes you will hear the noise more on one side than the other. Don’t worry about it, it’s normal on all vehicles and much more apparent on motorcycles.

When servicing your worn out brake pads sometimes the application of a special silicone brake grease applied thinly to the pad backing plate will help reduce this noise in the future. At that time is when everything gets cleaned, wire-brushed and thinly lubricated at contact points where the piston meets the pad and where the pad sits upon the mounting bosses prior to assembly. I don’t believe many BRP technicians will be doing this as part of their service or is brake cleaning covered under warranty. The real answer to fix the problem right now is to turn up the volume on the radio.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Azbronco View Post
    My thinking now is that however the drive disengages when the Spyder comes to a stop might be making the sound. Problem is, I have no idea how that works--I know a little bit about how the automatic transmission in a car disengages when the car comes to a stop, but no idea how it works on a Spyder and what parts are involved in that process. My optimistic hope is something might be a little loose and just needs to be tightened.
    If you haven't already, read this sticky post, https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners.

The transmission does not disengage when you come to a stop, it downshifts to 1st. It's actually a standard gear transmission with an electro-hydraulic shifting system, nothing like a standard automotive automatic transmission. The clutch automatically engages/disengages with hydraulic pressure. AFAIK, there is nothing that can be tightened/adjusted that will reduce the sound you're hearing.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Check if the belt is rubbing against the rear sprocket flange.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s