Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default 2019 RTL won't shift up (fixed'ish - only now it's un-fixed again!)

2 times now, I've been riding and suddenly find that pushing the "shift up" paddle, doesn't actually shift up. I didn't see anything flash on the screen, didn't hear funny engine or drive train noises. I just can't upshift.

Each time, I've tried wiggling, thumping, or other things to feel for or fix a stuck switch, but nothing.

Each time, a short shutoff of the bike (all the way to park light off), then back on, didn't fix the problem. Couldn't shift out of neutral to 1st gear sitting at a stop. Could shift to reverse, then back into neutral.

Each time, a long 5+ minute shutoff of the bike fixed the problem and I was going again.

Each time, I'd been riding for only about 15 minutes when it occurred.

Each time, I was using the heated grips on low.

I didn't know how to pull codes either time, so I don't know if there was a computer error. I've been unable to reproduce the problem since then, but I've only ridden for 30 minutes since It's getting cold.

I've heard that the CANBus will get finicky if you mod your bike poorly. I have pretty minimal mods:

1. rear brake flashers
    2. engine powered relay to pass battery power to a few accessories

Recently had to replace the battery with a Batteries Plus version.
    Recently had the sprocket recall repaired (Bike sat at the shop for 3 months, thus the dead battery).
    Last edited by ClayJ; 07-01-2023 at 04:48 PM.